PDA

View Full Version : Two pair situation...

otnemem
01-06-2005, 09:09 AM
So last night I played in a small MTT in Manhattan. About twenty players total, no rebuys. We start with T2000, and blinds begin at 25-25. Because it's a club tournament, the blind structure is fast. The first three levels are 20 minutes, and every subsequent round is 15 minutes. But I guess that's irrelevant, since this hand happened in the first 15 minutes of play.

I'm in the SB. UTG+1 in seat 2 raises to $100. Seat 4 calls. I look down at 8Jo and call.

Flop: 8-10-J rainbow. I check. UTG+1 bets $200. MP in Seat 4 calls. I raise to $900. UTG+1 calls. MP folds.

Turn: 8-10-J-(A). I check. He goes all-in.

My move?

Al Mirpuri
01-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Call. He may have gotten overexcited with AK s/o.

jojobinks
01-06-2005, 09:13 AM
why call preflop? it puts you into these types of situations (where you don't want to be).

i'd be thinking AT or AJ. your raise was big enough on the flop to get smaller hands to lay down. i'd get out.

that being said, it looks like t3000 in the pot? and the bet is something like 1000? i think i'd fold. and that might be too weak, but that's why i wouldn't have called in the first place.

zaxx19
01-06-2005, 09:18 AM
My move is to fold this 2 gapped non suited POS into the muck preflop..especially out of postion. And why werent yu all in or just smooth calling on the flop?? You either need to PLAY the 2 pairs as strong as yu can or call and see what develops. This 900 chip bet has pretty much effectiviely pot commited you here...I reluctantly call and expect to be shown something unsettling like KQ or AJ or A10. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

otnemem
01-06-2005, 09:30 AM
I agree that I probably should have mucked preflop. The play is fairly soft here, though, and I figured if I could hit a really big hand that I'd have a good chance of taking a big pot. I'm not sure why you think I should have gone all in or smooth called on that flop though. This was the second hand I had entered. I had T1850 on the flop. Why I would I raise his T200 bet to T1850? It seems a bit excessive. I figured that the T700 raise would make him lay down a weak hand or overplay an overpair. I also don't see the logic in smooth calling. This seems like a situation where I'd want to protect my hand. After his flop bet there's T725 in the pot. A pot sized raise seemed like the right move.

zaxx19
01-06-2005, 10:31 AM
IF the play is so bad I go all in hoping to get called by an inferior holding (open ended str draw...or over pair or AJ or AA or KK..) tHE POINT IS BY BETTING 900 you are almost essentially pot committed anyway...why let the buggers draw..remember 2 pair is pretty vulnerable.

otnemem
01-06-2005, 02:25 PM
I called, and he turned over JQo. No help for him on the river and my two pair took it. I ended up getting really lucky later on a few all-ins to win the tournament. But just thought I'd post this, one of those vomit-inducing hands... no replies, just thought it was an interesting hand...

Heads up, I have my opponent outchipped about 4 to 1. Blinds are 500-1000. I raise from the small blind to 2500 with Q-9 of diamonds. He calls Flop comes J-10-6 two diamonds. He checks. I go all in. He calls and turns over pocket kings. The king of diamonds comes on the turn, making my flush, but suffice it to say, a ten hits the river and we're evened out again. Oh well...

DemonDeac Holding Rockets
01-06-2005, 03:31 PM
muck preflop without thinkin about it