PDA

View Full Version : Give me your Top 5 movie scenes of all time

Shaun
01-06-2005, 04:40 AM
Mine, In no particular order:

1)Godfather II: The kiss. "I know it was you Fredo, You broke my heart".

2) Empire Strikes back: Darth Vader tells Luke, "No, I am your Father".

3) The Pianist: Nazi guy finds the piano player hiding out, asks him to play something.

4) The Return of the King: The Beacon lighting scene.

5) Pulp Fiction: The pawn shop scene where Ving Rhames explains how he's "going to get medieval on" "Mr soon to be living the rest of his short ass life in agonizing pain, rapist here."

M2d
01-06-2005, 04:53 AM
1) "Luke, I am your father"
2) "Round up the usual suspects"
3) "I'm singing in the Rain"
4) Scarface last scene on the stairway
5) Long Duk Dong explaining where the car is ("lake, big lake!!")

zephed56
01-06-2005, 05:08 AM
Godfather I- Michael Corleone murders his rival and the police chief.

Slap Shot- The end of the championship game.

That's all I can think of now.

bdk3clash
01-06-2005, 05:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Geez. Thanks for the spoiler.

Shaun
01-06-2005, 07:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Geez. Thanks for the spoiler.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

MarkL444
01-06-2005, 08:34 AM
"O'doyle, I gotta feeling your whole family's going down, but for now I gotsta study."

maryfield48
01-06-2005, 08:37 AM
The train station shoot-out in Untouchables.

Of course, the chicken salad sandwich scene in Five Easy Pieces. "I want you to hold it between your knees!"

scotnt73
01-06-2005, 08:41 AM
i was very surprised and happy with the 3some in wild things. that was pretty damn hot and unexpected.

felson
01-06-2005, 09:49 AM
- the bathroom scene in There's Something About Mary
- Alec Baldwin's address in Glengarry Glen Ross

Rick Diesel
01-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Also in no particular order:

1. Vaughn and Dorn in the clubhouse in Major League. The unintentional comedy when watching this scene on TV with all the swear words changed is through the roof.

2. The scene in Goodfellas where they are eating at Joe Pesci's mother's house after killing Billy Bats.

3. The training scenes in Rocky IV.

4. Basically all of Old School, but if I had to pick one particular part, I would go with Frank the Tank's beer bonging.

5. The scene in American Wedding with the strippers.

johnnycakes
01-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Off the top of my head:

1) The final scene with Mariel Hemingway and Woody Allen in "Manhattan"

2) The final scene in the Graduate when they get on the bus.

3) Russion Roulette in The Deer Hunter

4) Feng Shui tells her dad about the dream she had, in "All the Real Girls"

beerbandit
01-06-2005, 10:04 AM
hard to think=====very early

braveheart--end

super troopers--the very begining

someone mentioned the beacon scene from lord of the rings -- that is badass

cheers

elwoodblues
01-06-2005, 10:08 AM
Baptism scene - The Godfather
Opening sequence - Raiders of the Lost Ark
These go to 11 - Spinal Tap
Visiting the Penguin - Blues Brothers

Honorable Mentions:
Line-up scene - Usual Suspects
Singing of the Marseillaise - Casablanca
Shower Scene - Psycho
I'm her mother, I'm her sister - Chinatown
The tramp meets the blind woman - City Lights
Eggs - Cool Hand Luke
Playing the bells with the pipe - Holiday Inn
Change from B&W to Color - Wizard of Oz

sfer
01-06-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1) The final scene with Mariel Hemingway and Woody Allen in "Manhattan"

[/ QUOTE ]

That's on my list.

Zoltri
01-06-2005, 10:20 AM
No particular order:

Cincinnati Kid-McQueen and Robinson final hand
Rounders-KGB goes on tilt..."CHECK..CHECK!!"
The Deer Hunter-Deniro & Walken(first roulette scene)
The Gambler-James Cann on his hot streak
Let it Ride-Dreyfuss.."God really loves me"
Jaws-the three guys telling their sailor stories
A Few Good Men-"YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!"

I could go on...

sfer
01-06-2005, 10:53 AM
A couple of obscure ones off the top of my head:

Bill Murray in Rushmore: Hmmm, I'm a little bit lonely these days.

The last scene in You Can Count On Me: Do you remember what we used to say to each other when we were kids?

In Mean Streets: Joey Scala? You mean Joey Clams.
They're the same person.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman explaining that of course he's home--he's uncool in Almost Famous.

Orson Welles and Joseph Cotten in the ferris wheel in The Third Man. Actually, that's not even my favorite scene in the movie. I like the conversation Cotten has with whats-her-face before Welles's grand entrance.

RogerZBT
01-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Saving Private Ryan - The 30 minute Omaha Beach opening might be the best half-hour I've ever spent in the movies.

The Natural - The final at-bat. Totally cheesy. No doubt about the outcome and it's still amazing to watch.

Unforgiven - The final scene in the bar is awesome, but the moment right before that, when Will hears Ned is dead is, IMO, even better. As he takes that first drink in a decade, his eyes get harder and he's slowly transformed back into the cold-blooded killer, just through facial expressions. An incredible performance by Eastwood.

Silence of the Lambs - "You're so ambitious, aren't you. You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube. A well scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste. Good nutrition has given you some length of bone, but you're not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you, Agent Starling? And that accent you've tried so desperately to shed? Pure West Virginia. What's your father, dear? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamp? You know how quickly the boys found you... all those tedious sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars... while you could only dream of getting out... getting anywhere... getting all the way to the FBI."

Either Untouchables "train station" or a Few Good Men "You can't handle the truth" gets the final spot.

Shajen
01-06-2005, 11:27 AM
I thought the final scene in Saving Private Ryan was better than the beach scene. Made the whole mind blowing movie totally worth it.

CCass
01-06-2005, 11:29 AM
The first 35 minutes of Full Metal Jacket (while they are at basic training). Nonstop R. Lee Ermey at his best.

Paluka
01-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Also in no particular order:

1) Beacon lighting scene in ROTK is indeed f*$#ing awesome.
2) When Tuco arrives at the cemetary and just starts running and running and running in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

It is hard to think of these...I'll have to think on it longer.

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Saving Private Ryan - The 30 minute Omaha Beach opening might be the best half-hour I've ever spent in the movies.

[/ QUOTE ]
As close as any movie has ever come to "the fog of war".

RogerZBT
01-06-2005, 11:51 AM
The final scene was good. The slow plunge of the knife is another moment that movie got perfect. Aside from that, the rest of the final scene was more like other war movies to me, albeit very well done. The opening scene was like nothing I've seen before or since.

Zoltri
01-06-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When Tuco arrives at the cemetary and just starts running and running and running in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I loved this movie, I think I have seen it 20 times.
Tuco was the best.

"One bastard goes in, another bastard comes out" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shajen
01-06-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The final scene was good. The slow plunge of the knife is another moment that movie got perfect. Aside from that, the rest of the final scene was more like other war movies to me, albeit very well done. The opening scene was like nothing I've seen before or since.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rarely will a movie piss me off, but that knife scene was just absolutely horrible. I was so angry at that little bitch corporal...gah. So well done.

Sheriff Fatman
01-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Might not be the best ever but its the only one I still can't get through without laughing:

Porky's - The scene in the Head's office where Ms Ballbreaker wants a 'tallywhacker' identity parade and the two guys are laughing in the background.

Sheriff

Zoltri
01-06-2005, 12:22 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

crash
01-06-2005, 12:31 PM
I can't believe more people haven't mentioned the Deer Hunter scene. When I watch it now, I still sht myself, even though I know how it ends.

And I second the Jaws scene too. The story about the Indianapolis (?) is great. "Anyway, we delivered the bomb."
Then "show me the way to go home..."

slickpoppa
01-06-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And I second the Jaws scene too. The story about the Indianapolis (?) is great. "Anyway, we delivered the bomb."

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto, that scene is classic

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 12:53 PM
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Zoltri
01-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Fvckin 'A'

Toro
01-06-2005, 01:07 PM
How about the "shower scene" in Hitchcock's Psycho. What a lot of people don't realize is that the scene is a total illusion. Not once, does the knife ever touch Janet Leigh's body but until someone tells you this and you watch the movie again you would never believe it.

elwoodblues
01-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Anthony Perkins wasn't even on the set that day.

offTopic
01-06-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Might not be the best ever but its the only one I still can't get through without laughing:

Porky's - The scene in the Head's office where Ms Ballbreaker wants a 'tallywhacker' identity parade and the two guys are laughing in the background.

Sheriff

[/ QUOTE ]

Coach Brakett: "We could put up wanted posters all over school: Have you seen this prick? Report immediately to Beula Balbricker. Do not attempt to apprehend this prick, as it is armed and dangerous. It was last seen hanging out in the girls' locker room at Angel Beach High School."

IIRC, the older coach almost has his entire fist in his mouth at the end of the scene. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Paluka
01-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Great scene from Caddyshack:

I was born to love you
I was born to lick your face
I was born to rub you
But you were born to rub me first

Number4
01-06-2005, 01:36 PM
1 - The surfing scene in Apocalypse Now with Robert Duvall
2 - The line-up scene from Usual Suspects
3 - Braveheart when Robert the Bruce confronts his dad and shuts the door on him
4 - The Last Crusade; getting to the Holy Grail
5 - The car chase from Ronin

fnord_too
01-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Damnit! I'm going to be thinking about this all day now.

One I really like is in "Duck You Sucker" (a.k.a. "Fist Full of Dynamite") when James Coburn and the doctor who ratted out some of the rebels after he was tortured are on the train near the end. The Doctor ends up saying something like "So you've judged me then" and we get the third Coburn flashback, followed by something like "No. I've only done that once." Also in this movie the scene where Rod Steiger and James Coburn come in to the cave where there are a bunch of masacred rebels' corpses, including Steigers children. Powerful stuff, utterly fantastic movie that really needs to get released on DVD.

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2 - The line-up scene from Usual Suspects

[/ QUOTE ]
The scene where the FBI guy figures out he's been had is great too. When he looks around the office and sees the whole story there...

Number4
01-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Yeah, that is a good one too.

Honorable mention.

Zoltri
01-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Donald Sutherland in "Kellys Heroes" explaining to Clint Eastwood the only way to stop a Tiger Tank is to hit it in the ass. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shaun
01-06-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe more people haven't mentioned the Deer Hunter scene. When I watch it now, I still sht myself, even though I know how it ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes both scenes are two of my favorites. I should have made a longer list!

Shaun
01-06-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Unforgiven - The final scene in the bar is awesome, but the moment right before that, when Will hears Ned is dead is, IMO, even better. As he takes that first drink in a decade, his eyes get harder and he's slowly transformed back into the cold-blooded killer, just through facial expressions. An incredible performance by Eastwood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man I can't believe I forgot this one!

"Who's the fella that owns this sh*thole"
"That'd be me"
Bang
"Well you are a cowardly sonufabitch sir, you just shot an unarmed man"
"Well he should have armed himself, if he's goin to decorate his saloon with my friend"

and then

"I don't deserve this. I was building a house."
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

"Allright I'm comin out. Any man that I see, I'm gonna kill him. Any man takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, I'm gonna kill his wife and kids, and all his friends, and burn his damn house down!"

Or something like that. Awesome.

Shaun
01-06-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another great flick. I also like the scene where Marlon Brando starts going on about "Horror" and being in the village with pile of "hacked off little arms".

Horrible but powerful.

thirddan
01-06-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1)Godfather II: The kiss. "I know it was you Fredo, You broke my heart".

[/ QUOTE ]

that scene is ok, but i always found the scene where michael hugs Fredo at the funeral while giving the nod to neary to kill him much more powerful...

thirddan
01-06-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

3) Russion Roulette in The Deer Hunter

[/ QUOTE ]

that scene is insane...DIDI MAO...

TimTimSalabim
01-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Any scene from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Bubbagump
01-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Most of my favorites have been posted by others but here is an obscure one.

The last 20 minutes of 'Crossroads' (not the Brittany movie) with Steve Vai playing the devils prodigy.

Bubbagump

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Bubbagump,

Your name reminded me of that movie. Some good scenes there too. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

tripdad
01-06-2005, 04:56 PM
"Hey, my brother! may i borrow a copy of your Hey-Soul classics?"

"no, my brother! you must go and buy your own!"

cheers!

Joe Tall
01-06-2005, 05:07 PM
1. American Beauty - The plastic bag scene. (I saw this movie in the theatre twice in the opening week, cried each time during this scene.)

2. Matrix - "Just how far the rabbit hole goes." Red pill/blue pill scene. (I get the chills)

3. 28 Days Later - 2nd scene when Jim wakes up alone in the hospital and wanders an empty downtown London yelling "Helllloooo". (when the soundtrack starts to kick in, fck me, this kicks azz)

4. Empire Strikes Back - The opening battle on Hoth, the ice planet.

5. LOTR, Two Towers - Battle of Helms Deep

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. American Beauty - The plastic bag scene. (I saw this movie in the theatre twice in the opening week, cried each time during this scene.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't watched the movie in awhile. What scene was this?

Joe Tall
01-06-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't watched the movie in awhile. What scene was this?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the scene where the kid w/the camera says, "Want to see something beautiful?" and he shows her a tape w/a plastic bag floating around in the wind.

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It's the scene where the kid w/the camera says, "Want to see something beautiful?" and he shows her a tape w/a plastic bag floating around in the wind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...Yea. Now i remember the scene. I can only hope you're kidding.

Joe Tall
01-06-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I'm not. 1st time, lost it, sobbing. No word of a lie. It just amazing.

Eurotrash
01-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Don't know if they've been mentioned, but from Godfather I

1. Michael blows away McCluskey and the Turk over dinner
2. Sonny gets gunned down at the tollbooth as a result

Felix_Nietsche
01-06-2005, 06:13 PM
1. LOTR: Return of the King, Battle of Minas Tirith when the King of Rohan is motivating his out-numbered men to charge the Army of Mordor. "Death! Death! Deathhhhhhh!"

2. Zulu: The "song duel" between the British and the Zulus scene just before the final Zulu charge at Roarke's Drift.

3. Singing in the Rain: The Singing in the Rain Scene. Of course!

4. True Romance: The Dennis Hopper/ Christopher Walken scene. Walken is a mobster trying to get Hopper to betray his son.

5. Henry V: The Henry V (Kenneth Branagh..sp?) speech before the Battle of Agincourt. He is the first guy to make a decent Skakespeare movie.

Felix_Nietsche
01-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Oh....honorable mention.

The Seven Samurai seen where the Bandit Army arrives to attack the village.

This movie was made in Japan around the 1950's and **Many** of the ideas from this film were used in hollywood movies. The movie the "Magnificant Seven" was the western version of the "Seven Samurai". I thought the "Magnificant Seven" sucked!!! and was an insult to it's parent, the "Seven Samurai".

mmbt0ne
01-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Field of Dreams

"You wanna have a catch?"

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 08:59 PM
Seven Samurai was awesome, but Magnificant Seven was good too.

maryfield48
01-06-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3. Singing in the Rain: The Singing in the Rain Scene. Of course!

[/ QUOTE ]

Which reminds me:

Clockwork Orange: The Singing in the Rain Scene, of course!

Duke
01-06-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm going to forget that the LOTR movies were ever made, because the top 5 scenes are all from them.

1. Quint's Soliloquoy in Jaws. Robert Shaw actually wrote the version they used.
2. The end of Gattaca where you find out that the doctor knew all along.
3. Amadeus, when Salieri's march of welcome is "fixed." Cut to Salieri pissed off at the Jesus statue.
4. Goonies - but you see this one? This one right here. This was my dream, my wish... and it didn't come true. So I'm taking it back... I'm taking them all back.
5. Stand By Me - No Ace, just you.

~D

Joe Tall
01-06-2005, 11:59 PM
1. Quint's Soliloquoy in Jaws. Robert Shaw actually wrote the version they used

Oh $hit, Duke, I just got the Chills thinking about it.

Great choice,
Joe Tall

daryn
01-07-2005, 12:27 AM
heh. i like those chills. i got em just thinking about "round up the usual suspects"

daryn
01-07-2005, 12:32 AM
i love that baptism montage in the godfather too, but my favorite scene from godfather 1 and 2 might be either:

a) you broke my heart fredo

or more likely

b) when michael agrees to see fredo at his mother's funeral, and fredo gives him a hug, while at the same time mike gives his bodyguard "that look" essentially sending fredo to his death

Dr. Strangelove
01-07-2005, 12:34 AM
All of The Big Lebowski

coffee shop scene in reservoir dogs

final scene in remains of the day

schindler's list, speech to goeth about the power of the emperors and what follows

english patient, going to get help

...and justice for all, final courtroom scene

fargo, you pick

fight club, you pick

deliverance, "squeal like a pig" [JUST KIDDING]
how 'bout the dueling banjo scene

JFK, you pick

Nixon, [one of my favorite scenes ever] nixon meets with helms (not in theatrical version), nixon meets with right wing business men

animal house, belushi gets food

animal house, cinderella boy, murray and chevy chase meet, "i want you to kill all the golfers," caddying for the dali lama speech

baseketball, most of it

southpark movie, you pick, I love the jumping killer whale at the end

dr. Strangelove, riding the nuke in, the good doctor's speech at the end,

many more, and most of what everyone has already said

slickpoppa
01-07-2005, 12:42 AM
Hoosiers:
The voting scene in the church, and of course Jimmy Chitwood making the final shot. Still gives me goosebumps.

fnord_too
01-07-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hoosiers:
The voting scene in the church, and of course Jimmy Chitwood making the final shot. Still gives me goosebumps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the scene where he is talking to Jimmy shooting free throws at his farm, that whole movie is great.

andyfox
01-07-2005, 01:07 AM
1) The look on Chaplin's face in the last shot of "City Lights" when he knows the formerly blind girl realizes it was him all the time.

2) Brando and Steiger in the back of the car in "On the Waterfront": "I coulda been a contender."

3) Chaplin roller skating blindfolded in "Modern Times."

4) Michael Corleone (Pacino) shooting Salazzo and McCluskey in the restaurant in "The Godfather." (Part 1).

5) Dorothy walking out of her black and white house into the Techicolor world of Oz in "The Wizard of Oz."

fnord_too
01-07-2005, 01:12 AM
Some More:

(may technically be more than one scene) is the sequence in "2001: A Space Odyssey" starting with Dave trapped outside the ship through when HAL is completely disabled.

The final scene of "The Bridge on the River Kwai"

Rutger Hauer's speech at the end of Blade Runner

"Lawrence of Arabia" - struggling to pick out the best, many candidates.

The scene near the end of "Three Days of the Condor" where Max Von Sydow explains things to Robert Redford.

Q8offsuit
01-07-2005, 09:56 PM
5. The scene where DMX is about to kill the Minister at the end of "Belly."

4. The scene where Ox's compound is attacked and he goes ballistic in "Belly."

3. The scene with Method Man and Rico in the strip club in Omaha in "Belly."

2. The scene with Nas and Shorty outside the projects in "Belly."

1. The opening scene of "Belly" in the nightclub with the blacklights.

Yeah, I like that movie.

ClaytonN
01-07-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3) The Pianist: Nazi guy finds the piano player hiding out, asks him to play something.

[/ QUOTE ]

My personal favorite.

If you have not seen the Pianist, watch it. Now.

Shaun
01-08-2005, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

3. 28 Days Later - 2nd scene when Jim wakes up alone in the hospital and wanders an empty downtown London yelling "Helllloooo". (when the soundtrack starts to kick in, fck me, this kicks azz)

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent scenes. 28 days later is one of my favorites. Love the church scene when he walks in and after hesittaing a little, syas "hello" and all the infected look up at him with these crazed looks.

Shaun
01-08-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yes. Great use of sound. Awesome scene. Godfather movies are so full of great scenes it's hard to nail down 1 or 2.

Shaun
01-08-2005, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. LOTR: Return of the King, Battle of Minas Tirith when the King of Rohan is motivating his out-numbered men to charge the Army of Mordor. "Death! Death! Deathhhhhhh!"

[/ QUOTE ]

That scene, the one where the orcs first start piling out of Minas Morgul with the "witch king" (heading to Minas Tirith), and the lighting of the beacons all gave me chills.

hoyaboy1
01-08-2005, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

2) Brando and Steiger in the back of the car in "On the Waterfront": "I coulda been a contender."

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite, I think. Brando is soooo dreamy.

zephed56
01-08-2005, 04:35 AM
The scene in Half Baked where the boob pops out.

Jeem and Nadia(?) on webcam in American Pie

Ten7offsuit
01-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Requiem for a Dream: Ass to Ass

rusellmj
01-30-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yes. Great use of sound. Awesome scene. Godfather movies are so full of great scenes it's hard to nail down 1 or 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can actually see an aerosol cloud of blood hang in the air. Doesn't get any better.

Russ

sthief09
01-30-2005, 11:41 PM
say hello to my little friend

tolbiny
01-31-2005, 12:43 AM
Rocky II- Adrian is lying in the hospital after coming out of the coma. Rocky has just told her he will quit fighting.
"there's just one thing i want you to do for me"
Rocky leans forward
"Win Rocky. Win."

The hometown favorite is when Harry Dole yells "The Indians win it- Oh my God the Indians Win it!!!" I get a little chocked up at that one too.

There are a lot of great scenes from "Stand by me" but i will cop out and agree with the other poster who said "No Ace, just you"

Blazing Saddles
"Hey- Where are all the white women at?"

I'll leave my last slot open for now.

Jezebel
01-31-2005, 12:47 AM
Lots of good scenes already posted, but I'll add one:

Shawshank Redemption: The warden enters Andy's cell and finds it empty. Throws chess piece through the poster and you realize he has escaped.

theBruiser500
01-31-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All I can say is, MAJOR LOSER ALERT.

theBruiser500
01-31-2005, 01:47 AM
"sorry clarece, i would love to stay and chat but i'm having an old friend for dinner". scene where schindler says goodbye to his jews. end of usual suspects. every scene from kill bill 1 and 2

man i love movies!!

slickpoppa
01-31-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All I can say is, MAJOR LOSER ALERT.

[/ QUOTE ]
You lost all credibility when you said that it would be ok for a guy to drive around at 1 in the morning looking for a girls car. That picture with daryn certainly didnt help either.

1800GAMBLER
01-31-2005, 02:28 AM
The car scene in se7en in which Brad Pitt's character is argueing his denial to Spacey.

nothumb
01-31-2005, 03:25 AM
Very good thread so far. I read most of it.

-Unforgiven - Ending. Just brilliant.

-Born on the 4th of July, Willem Dafoe and Tom Cruise having shi<font color="brown"></font>tfits and fighting in their wheelchairs in Mexico.

-The Big Lebowski. Has some scenes that really get me every time too. Like when they are scattering the ashes or when they confront Lebowski and Walter throws him down and the little dog is licking his face. Also some hilarious ones, like everything John Turtorro does, or "I'll suck your cock for $1000," etc...

-Raising Arizona, same deal. Stealing babies is funny.

-Night on Earth, last scene with the guys in the taxi in Finland, talking about his baby daughter. Jesus Christ that is fuuuuuuuuuuuccckkkked up.

-Dead Man, the scene with Iggy Pop in a dress reading the Bible.

-Several parts of 'The Last Waltz,' esp. the versions of 'The Weight,' 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down,' 'I Shall be Released.'

NT

7ontheline
01-31-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone else watch Family Guy? There's an episode where Peter Griffin is entranced with a plastic bag flying in the wind and God is screaming at him from Heaven. . ."It's just a piece of freakin' garbage flying in the wind! Do you have any idea how complex your circulatory system is!?" Heh.

swede123
01-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Lots of good ones mentioned so far, here's a few more.

Several scenes from Life is Beautiful. 1 - particularly the scene towards the end when Bennini's character walks away with the Nazi guards, obviously to his death. His son is hidden and watching, however, so he puts on a goofy face, continuing to hide the horrible truth from his son.
2 - A little later on, when the American tank picks up the son and drives past the son's mother, and they are reunited at last. Now if that doesn't bring a tear to your eyes...

As far as good action scenes, I really like the bank-robbery/shoot-out in Heat. Also, the scene earlier in the movie when DeNiro and Pacino sit down for coffee is pretty powerful.

The scene in Primal Fear when Gere's character realizes Norton's character was just putting on an act.

Get Shorty is one of my favorite movies. I particularly like the scene when Travolta walks up the stairs of the restaurant and tosses Gandolfini down the stairs.

How about the final episode of Band of Brothers? When they are all playing baseball and the narrator describes each of them and where they ended up after the war. I'm getting chills just thinking back to that scene.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: the scene when Chow Yun-Fat attacks the Jade Fox, fends off dozens of poisoned darts with his sword, and impales her...just to realize that he was hit with one of the darts...

Ah...I could go on all day long...movies are so great.

Cheers,

Swede

Grisgra
01-31-2005, 06:32 PM
I have to go with a mix of what's already been mentioned. And try to ignore people saying that there are Top 5 scenes in "Baseketball" or in floating plastic bags . . . there's a difference between a mildly interesting or cool or funny scene and something that deserves to be on a freakin' Top 5 list.

1) Quint in Jaws:

"Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, chief. It was comin' back, from the island of Tinian Delady, just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer.

You know, you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. Well, we didn't know. `Cause our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. Huh huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like `ol squares in battle like a, you see on a calendar, like the battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark would go for nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes.

You know the thing about a shark, he's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces. Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, bosom's mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He'd a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper, anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn.

I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb."

2) Adrian, in Rocky.

Rocky: Listen I've been thinking, if you don't want me messing with Creed no more we'll make out some other kinda living you know.
Adrian: There's one thing I want you to do for me.
Rocky: What?
Adrian: Win. Win!
Mickey: What are we waitin' for!

3) Okay, I'll admit it, the beacon scene in LOTR made me cream my geeky jeans . . . dammit.

4) Princess Bride, the dual of wits between Vizzini and the Man in Black. Not nearly as eye-popping or throat-catching as the first three, but I'm running dry.

5) Take your pick -- either the very first big scene in Very Bad Things where the hooker gets killed/then the security guard, or the very last scene in which Cameron Diaz's character realized that her life is a complete and total hopeless wreck and utterly breaks down screaming in the middle of the street.

Jezebel
01-31-2005, 06:49 PM
How about Field of Dreams at the end where Kevin Costner is playing catch with his late father? I submit that the most macho guy could not be called a nancy boy if he got choked up while watching that scene.

offTopic
01-31-2005, 07:30 PM
Five off the top of my head:

- Tuco, running around the cemetery with "The Ecstasy of Gold" playing in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

- The christening in The Godfather, when all of the family business is settled

- King Arthur and The Black Knight at the bridge in Monty Python and the Holy Grail

- Dave Kujan's WTF moment, reading the bulletin board in The Usual Suspects

- (tie) Bo Derek running down the beach in 10, Phoebe Cates climbing out of the pool in Fast Times At Ridgemont High

Jack of Arcades
01-31-2005, 07:30 PM
Final scene in Seven Samurai ("Another defeat...")
Igby Goes Down (Igby: Sometimes I feel this great pressure...)

Kevin
01-31-2005, 07:44 PM
Several Scenes from American Beauty

1.) The real estate king nailing Spacy's wife - "Who's the king? F*** me your majesty!"
2.) Her introducing Spacy to him at the party "That's ok, I wouldn't remember me either (a favorite at awkward introduction moments)
3.) Spacey smoking dope and lifting weights when wife tells him it will stop - "That's what you think!"

Best move ever, Probably 23 of my top 25 scenes come from this flick.

and...
4.) Jim Carey washing out his arse after he realizes Hank stuck the dildo up it in me, myself, and Irene
5.) Jim Carey in the fetal position with the crying game playing in the background after he makes the Finkel/Einhorn connection in Ace Ventura

Slacker13
01-31-2005, 07:51 PM
I would really have to think about this to come up with 5 so I am just going to give one that I saw (again) the other day.
It was in the movie Glory when they are whipping Denzel Washington and his face slowly changes and then that first tear starts down his cheek. Awesome scene from a great actor.

cnfuzzd
01-31-2005, 07:53 PM
No particular order

-the temptation of luke skywalker in Return of the Jedi, particularly where vader speculates that the emperor will attempt to suborn leia if luke doesnt agree to fight. The soundtrack at that point is overwhelming, and the emotional buildup of all three (now six) movies is released in that one scene. personally, i think it is far better than the scene where vader reveals that he is lukes father.

-The scene in Titus where Lavigna has been raped, and her uncle discovers her wondering alone. That is perhaps the saddest moment on film, and contained in a movie that has near-perfect cinematography. The opening of this movie is also good, but a little lacking in content.

-Whos Afraid of Virginia Woolfe. This whole movie is pretty much one endless scene, with special highlights.

-The scene at the coke dealers house in Boogie Nights. With the chinese kid throwing firecrackers and what-not, the tension in this scene is palatable.

-the scene in The Shining where the little boy is big-wheeling through the hotel and stumbles onto the twins, then sees the horrific aftermath of their murder. Good stuff.

A disagreement" I hated the beacon scene in ROTK, if for no other reason that it was possibly one of the least described passeges in the book, and the movie turned it into this huge ordeal. My hatred probably stems from the fact that there was potential for so many BETTER scene to be in that movie, or in either of the other two, but all in all, the movies just sucked ass.

peace

john nickle

Asufiji2004
01-31-2005, 08:08 PM
1. Heed down!! from So I married an axe murderer. The entire scene at his parents house. The only reason to watch this movie and IMO the funniest 10 mins in a movie ever. "The colonel puts a chemical in his chicken that makes you crave it fortnightly".

2. The barber shop scene in Coming to America. "You ain't met no Frank Sinatra"

3. The you're a funny guy scene in Goodfellas.

4. The pursuit by the man-in-black in the Princess Bride.

5. Any scene with Bricktop in Snatch.

Reef
01-31-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Pianist: Nazi guy finds the piano player hiding out, asks him to play something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, that was such an awesome scene. Probably my #1

billyjex
01-31-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lots of good scenes already posted, but I'll add one:

Shawshank Redemption: The warden enters Andy's cell and finds it empty. Throws chess piece through the poster and you realize he has escaped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Love this movie, love this scene. Good pick.

I'm some what of an action movie junkie, so I'll throw in these two scenes:

Clear and Present Danger w/ Harrison Ford. A bunch of American political dudes are in a foreign country riding in SUV's and they get ambushed with rocket launchers in an alleyway, all of em die except Ford.

Bad Boys 2 - The big car chase scene. Just thought it was cool.

Gladiator - The battle scene with the tigers.

Fight Club - The moment Norton realizes Tyler Durden is him.

peachy
01-31-2005, 09:41 PM
Platoon - when dafoe is left and running for the helicopters
Bridge on the the River Kwai - the last few minutes
Cool Hand Luke - the last time hes brought back in
When Harry Meet Sally - the diner scene HAHAH

Duke
01-31-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hated the beacon scene in ROTK, if for no other reason that it was possibly one of the least described passeges in the book, and the movie turned it into this huge ordeal. My hatred probably stems from the fact that there was potential for so many BETTER scene to be in that movie, or in either of the other two, but all in all, the movies just sucked ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's usually not possible to have an opinion that is just wrong, but this is up there with thinking the Earth is flat.

~D

cnfuzzd
01-31-2005, 09:57 PM
Duke, i think its a failure to look at things from what may be the proper perspective. I am a tolkien fanatic, to the point of near religous zeal. I read the Lord of the Rings at least every three months, and the silmarillion just as often, if not more so. I have a deep and abiding faith that Tolkiens literature is perfect, in all ways. The movies were never going to be ahead in my book, since no matter what, the screenplay was NOT written by the dead guy. As stand-alone stories, they were excellent movies, but with so much of the content that i know and love (and have virtually memorized) removed, i experienced nothing but intense loathing for them, and it intensified as each on was released. Still though, i assert that The scene on Durin's Bridge, The Battle of Helms Deep, and the battle between Boromir and the Uruk Hai to save Pippen and Merry were all at least as good as watching the beacons being lit, if not better.

FWIW, i do of course own all three of the movies on the extended special edition DVD. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

peace

john nickle

peachy
01-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Casablanca - "heres looking at u kid". the song "A kiss is just a kiss", and the infamous end line "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship" (which they added in to the move last minute before release in a voice over!!)

Matt Flynn
01-31-2005, 10:26 PM
Give them credit here. Lord of the Rings was extraordinarily well done except for some of the hobbit acting (Bilbo very good, Frodo good but needed to be great, Samwise not so good, Pipin and Merriwether well done). How can you put several hundred pages into 3 hours of film? You can't. They did very well cutting out some things that should have been edited out of the books, like all scenes with Tom Bombadil.

Ok, my two most annoying scenes in LOTR: Pippin and Merriwether giving the wise words speech to the ents - ridiculous - and the three-slow-motion-arrows to kill the tempted Borderman what's-his-name.

Matt

Grisgra
01-31-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I read the Lord of the Rings at least every three months, and the silmarillion just as often, if not more so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, and I thought that bursting into tears over a floating plastic bag was sad . . .

cnfuzzd
01-31-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Give them credit here. Lord of the Rings was extraordinarily well done except for some of the hobbit acting (Bilbo very good, Frodo good but needed to be great, Samwise not so good, Pipin and Merriwether well done). How can you put several hundred pages into 3 hours of film? You can't. They did very well cutting out some things that should have been edited out of the books, like all scenes with Tom Bombadil.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understood this, and was ready for it, but then Peter Jackson added in all sorts of non-sense that wasnt even in the books o make it more aggreeable to a wider segment of audiences. he changed the characters, he changed the dialogue, and he changed entire aspects of the story. I didnt agree with this. Also, most of the acting in these movies was beyond bad.

Like i said though, i do own all three movies, in the most expensive version possible.

peace

john nickle

cnfuzzd
01-31-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I read the Lord of the Rings at least every three months, and the silmarillion just as often, if not more so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, and I thought that bursting into tears over a floating plastic bag was sad . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Not nearly as sad as the rest of my life, but hey, i enjoy it.

peace

john nickle

david050173
01-31-2005, 10:59 PM
Cruel Intentions - SMG going "You can put it anywhere" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Or slightly more seriously note the first part of the Monty Python and the Holy grail still cracks me up when I see it on tv with the black knight, the witch, and peasants arguing about forms of government....