PDA

View Full Version : fundamentals

meriwether
01-06-2005, 12:38 AM
For the following, imagine a 10 player single table NL hold 'em tournament. Each player starts with 800 T$. Blinds start at 10/15. Whenever you select raise, please indicate how much if possible.

Hand 1: First hand of the tournament: 22 UTG.

Hand 2: 79s in the BB. UTG calls, UTG+1 raises to 50, UTG+2 calls, SB calls.

Hand 3: Still 10/15. Everyone has more than you (775) except yourleft475. Max is yourright1505 and button1435. 3 folds to you with AJo.

Hand 4: 15/30 blinds, 8-way. You and the button have 785, SB has 1490. Folds around to button who calls. SB raises to 70. 40 to you.

Hand 5: 15/30 8-way. UTG+1 (1135) doubles to 60, fold fold to you (770) with 99. Everyone after you back to him has as much or more than you except the button.

Hand 6: Same hand as 5. Suppose you and the blinds call for a 4-way flop of Qs 5s Qd.
check, check, bet of 175.

Hand 7: Same hand as 6. You call, and so does the BB. Turn is the Qc. BB comes out betting 300, original bettor folds. 300 to you.

Hand 8: 15/30 9-way. You are on the button with the 2nd big stack at 1290 with QJo. UTG, CO-1 (600), and CO (260) call. 30 to you.

Hand 9: 25/50 8-way. 2 folds to you. You make it 200 with 2 black jacks, only the BB (650) calls. Flop is Kh Qh 9c. Check to you.

Hand 10: 25/50 7-way. You have 900, which puts you right in the middle (and not by much). The blinds are both smaller stacks than you. The biggest stack is at 2015, with another at 1890. UTG you're dealt 77.

ilya
01-06-2005, 01:39 AM
1: Call

2: Fold

3: Fold

4: What is your hand? I voted "fold" because that's what I'd do if your hand is "any two cards" /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5: Fold, though you could call if the table was loose preflop and loose-agressive postflop. Or if you had a couple hundred more in your stack. One problem with calling here is that the implied odds for your set go down when there's a PF raiser immediately to your right.

6: Fold

7: Raise...I voted "Call" but I've changed my mind. Actually, I don't think it really matters whether you raise all-in now or call with the intention of calling/pushing on the river.

8: Fold

9: Check behind; although you might bet if your opponent isn't a check-raiser...problem is, he's too short for you to be able to get away from the hand if he check-raises...so, if you're gonna bet, you might as well put him all-in right away and put the max pressure on him. But I prefer checking behind, especially since 1), you have some outs and 2), he's not very likely to draw out if he isn't ahead already.

10: Call if the table's not gotten too agressive; otherwise fold

benjdm
01-06-2005, 01:58 AM
Hand 1: call for set value, fold to substantial raise
Hands 2-4: fold
Hand 5: call for set value
Hand 6: fold
Hand 7: call
Hand 8: call or fold, only 30 chips either way
Hand 9: player dependent read....either shove or check / fold....no read, I check / fold and curse poker gods
Hand 10: call for set value

meriwether
01-06-2005, 07:55 PM
sorry, hand 4 is ATs.

adanthar
01-06-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
9: Check behind; although you might bet if your opponent isn't a check-raiser...problem is, he's too short for you to be able to get away from the hand if he check-raises...so, if you're gonna bet, you might as well put him all-in right away and put the max pressure on him. But I prefer checking behind, especially since 1), you have some outs and 2), he's not very likely to draw out if he isn't ahead already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. I'm shocked everyone else is betting; check with outs.

Bigwig
01-07-2005, 06:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. I'm shocked everyone else is betting; check with outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. It's why I didn't vote in that one. Without a huge stack where I can afford a bluff, I'm checking behind.