PDA

View Full Version : Topping up (query)

Peter Harris
01-05-2005, 11:41 PM
X-posted on general, this one is more about the theory and not about a direct answer.

Playing in a MTT, 1500 starting chips, rebuys are 1500, ditto top up at end of first hour.

I sit down and rebuy immediately (correct?) bringing stack to 3k. i did this so if i doubled up it represented more, and *believe* it's correct rebuy theory [i play freezouts normally].

I got 2 good hands (QQ and AQ TP) to bring stack up to 10k at the break.

Do i top up another 1500? Blinds are 100/200 on return thus top up represents ~7BB.

I chose not to. I figured as the event moves to freezout, my huge (30th out of 230 remaining) stack (top up was 15% of current size), fact it was only 7.5BB and better skills made me think that topping up was not worth the amount invested.

What size should ones stack be relative to opponents, blinds , ones self's stack and skill level to decide whether topping up is viable?

If anyone can point me to a good book on different tournament structures [NOT Suzuki's], it would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Pete Harris

PS oh yeah, was the initial rebuy good too?

Peter Harris
01-06-2005, 11:37 AM
bump

busted out on the bubble, set over set...sigh.

I am still interested in hearing ideas about this, i guess it's quite relevant?

woodguy
01-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Re-buying immediately is correct.

I believe that the generally accepted principle is to add on unless you already have at least 10% of the total chips in play.

Not entirely sure of the theory behind it but I believe it lies in the marginal utility of the chips still being worth the cost unless you own 10% of the chip total.

I could be wrong on the theory, but I believe I am correct on the 10% figure.

Regards,
Woodguy