PDA

View Full Version : Weight Training

Tron
01-05-2005, 10:27 PM
So I'm sitting around and I realize that I'm way too skinny. Running backs my size (5'8") usually weigh about 200 pounds. I weigh 140. I figure 160 wouldn't be too unreasonable for me.

Well, naturally, this means I need to start lifting, but the problem is that I haven't done that since I wrestled my freshman year of HS. Now I'm a freshman in college. Basically I just want to get bigger, build strength, and develop explosive speed.

Any pointers or whatever for helping me reach my goals would be real, real sweet. Thanks a lot.

BeerMoney
01-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Hit the big muscles.. Chest, back and legs. Lots of bench pressing. Push ups. Do some legs. They get the rest of the body going cause they are such a big muscle group. For back I recommend pull ups and pull downs.

Good luck. Oh yeah, egg whites. I never took a single supplement, and I got pretty strong with out them.

bosoxfan
01-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Try and get Sup Bro to train you.

Malone Brown
01-05-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hit the big muscles.. Chest, back and legs. Lots of bench pressing. Push ups. Do some legs. They get the rest of the body going cause they are such a big muscle group. For back I recommend pull ups and pull downs.

Good luck. Oh yeah, egg whites. I never took a single supplement, and I got pretty strong with out them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good starting advice but it takes much more than that for most people. I am a certified personal trainer, if you are serious about this and want more detailed advice you can PM and I'll be glad to help.
Malone

BeerMoney
01-05-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try and get Sup Bro to train you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the best advice anyone has ever given on this forum.

ftball0000
01-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Someone on here, I think INSChris gave me this website, it seems good to me. http://www.musclezone.co.uk/index.php

-Ftball

nothumb
01-06-2005, 12:15 AM
Dude, don't be weightlifter. So [censored].

If you stay skinny, it makes your piece look bigger in relation to your body. Which is why I had to gain some weight... I was scaring 'em away! Had to let the guy blend in a bit.

Seriously, screw that gaining weight crap, you will just get sick of exercising in a month and get man boobs...

NT

brassnuts
01-06-2005, 04:08 AM
Have you tired PMing Sup Bro?

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Three exercises. Deadlifts, Bench Press, Squats. Do five sets of five reps. That is all. Forget all the other crap. You don't need to do curls. No tricep pushdowns. All you need is a bar & rack. No gym memberships, etc.

Jman28
01-06-2005, 10:32 AM
I lifted pretty heavy during HS cuz I played football. I kinda wish I hadn't because now I have to lift or diet or run a lot or I'll get chubby. And I'm fairly lazy.

Also, what is your motivation to lift? Are you playing a sport? Do you just want to look like a male model?

Most girls prefer skinnier guys by the way.

Edit: TALL skinny guys especially. You and I can't help that.

-Jman28

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I kinda wish I hadn't because now I have to lift or diet or run a lot or I'll get chubby. And I'm fairly lazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a myth. The getting chubby has nothing to do with having lifted in high school. Muscle cannot turn into fat. It doesn't work that way.

Jman28
01-06-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I kinda wish I hadn't because now I have to lift or diet or run a lot or I'll get chubby. And I'm fairly lazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a myth. The getting chubby has nothing to do with having lifted in high school. Muscle cannot turn into fat. It doesn't work that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being that I have no authority on the subject, I don't want to get into an argument.

I just think that whether it was all the muscle I packed on, or the eating habits I developed in order to do so seems to have made it very very difficult to get rid of the muscle and stay thin.

I feel like I have a lot of muscle left over that isn't very toned.

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the eating habits I developed in order to

[/ QUOTE ]
That could be it.