PDA

View Full Version : if yer gonna die....die early

whiskeytown
01-05-2005, 09:00 PM
at least it was 9 min. in - saved me a few hrs

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t1800)
BB (t1930)
Hero (t1470)
UTG+1 (t1840)
MP1 (t1470)
MP2 (t1460)
MP3 (t1290)
CO (t870)
Button (t1370)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls t20, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t120</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls t110, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t1840</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t670 (All-In).

Flop: (t3450) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t3450) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t3450) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3450

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ac As (one pair, aces).
UTG+1 has 7d 7h (flush, queen high).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins t3450. </font>

DC_Camel
01-05-2005, 10:25 PM
I feel your pain... acutely
First hand of tonight's Paradise 35k R&amp;A that i had won a $3 satellite to get into. I was the button with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, mid position raiser to t150 with 10/20 blinds, everyone folds around to me, i reraise AI, blinds fold, he thinks for 20 secs, calls AI, flips over QQ, and of course flops a Q to terminate me. Since i lost with AA first hand heads up, figured no sense throwing $30 more into the prize pool as it seemed clear none of it was destined to be mine tonight.

Brad F.
01-05-2005, 10:33 PM
If he's thinking for 20 seconds with Q-Q preflop with a chance to go heads up all in in a R+A, he shouldn't be playing that type of tourney.

Sorry about the bad beats fellows.

Brad

DC_Camel
01-05-2005, 10:40 PM
that's what i thought too... seemed like a no brainer, but perhaps there was no brain there.

whiskeytown
01-05-2005, 11:00 PM
yah...if yer gonna lose like that...

better it happen the first few minutes -as opposed to wasting 4 hrs. of your life and having it happen 20 spots from the money or something.

RB

DC_Camel
01-05-2005, 11:21 PM
amen brother... early on, it's poker, just outta the money... that hurts

PokerGoblin
01-06-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
better it happen the first few minutes -as opposed to wasting 4 hrs. of your life and having it happen 20 spots from the money or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea Amen to that the last thing we need is another 'AA on the bubble should I have mucked' type of afterthoughts.

Better luck net time.

PG

PokerNeal
01-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Unfortunately that's not the way it works many times if you happen to be a good player. You build your stack, use your position, bluff wisely and feeling pretty good about yourself. You are now just a few spots away from the final table. Now you get dealt A-A. And guess what(!) the flop shows another Ace giving you a solid hand with very little chance of losing. At least that is what you think until the bozo who bets all-in against you catches a lucky card both on the turn and the river to make his straight or flush or whatever and knock you out of the tourney. You can be Doyle Brunson or TJ or Phil Ivey but you can't combat someone else's better luck. Next thing you know you are running around your living room cussing saying to yourself "I didn't do anything wrong! I played right!" but the pain of being so close to the trophy and losing it lingers around sorely for a while.

Been there, am there frequently, why it happened to me last night at Party Super Wednesday. My chip lead evaporated when my set on the flop was taken down by a bozo who got his lucky cards on the turn AND the river to make a flush. Instead of making the final table I exit with little glory (and little money) at position 21.

DonButtons
01-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Thats the reason I hate limit. I remember playing limit when I just started and I had the most heart breaking bad beats that I started to play no limit, where you can shut down opponents on the turn, steal blinds, and push preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately that's not the way it works many times if you happen to be a good player. You build your stack, use your position, bluff wisely and feeling pretty good about yourself. You are now just a few spots away from the final table. Now you get dealt A-A. And guess what(!) the flop shows another Ace giving you a solid hand with very little chance of losing. At least that is what you think until the bozo who bets all-in against you catches a lucky card both on the turn and the river to make his straight or flush or whatever and knock you out of the tourney. You can be Doyle Brunson or TJ or Phil Ivey but you can't combat someone else's better luck. Next thing you know you are running around your living room cussing saying to yourself "I didn't do anything wrong! I played right!" but the pain of being so close to the trophy and losing it lingers around sorely for a while.

Been there, am there frequently, why it happened to me last night at Party Super Wednesday. My chip lead evaporated when my set on the flop was taken down by a bozo who got his lucky cards on the turn AND the river to make a flush. Instead of making the final table I exit with little glory (and little money) at position 21.

[/ QUOTE ]

jacks321
01-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Ouch. I had an almost identical situation yesterday. Get dealt AA around the 5th hand. It ends up HU with a LAG player all-in who has about half my stack. He turns over AJo and sure enough gets a flush. I still have half my stack, and the very next hand I'm thrilled to see AA again! I think my luck's coming back. I raise a raiser all-in who turns over QQ and proceeds to catch a queen on the flop. Some days you just can't win /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

KingMedicine
01-06-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ouch. I had an almost identical situation yesterday. Get dealt AA around the 5th hand. It ends up HU with a LAG player all-in who has about half my stack. He turns over AJo and sure enough gets a flush. I still have half my stack, and the very next hand I'm thrilled to see AA again! I think my luck's coming back. I raise a raiser all-in who turns over QQ and proceeds to catch a queen on the flop. Some days you just can't win /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

try playing a 535$ single table step 4, getting black aces in the first level, seeing a raise, then a reraise before it gets to you, preflop, pushing, getting called by BOTH raisers, seeing them flip over AQo and QQ. Flop comes 4th Q and i go out 10th instead of having 3k chips. -535$.

I swear this is my last bad beat story, i just figured id add to the theme of the thread.

damn Qs.