PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Ed Miller

billyjex
01-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Calling down here was a play I wouldn't make a month ago, because I didn't distinguish a big pot from a small pot when it came to deciding whether to fold or not. Just wanted to post an example of not folding when the pot is big..

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $2. UTG posts a blind of $2.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO (poster) folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (18.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (10.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (16.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Kh Kc (two pair, kings and tens).
Button has 6c 6d (two pair, tens and sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins 18.75 BB. </font>

Rah
01-05-2005, 08:28 PM
I don't even want to know what the button was thinking...

Harv72b
01-05-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't even want to know what the button was thinking...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been seeing this play a lot on Party 2/4 lately...don't know if it's just a coincidence or if it got mentioned in some mag article or other forum or what. People assume that when you cap or 3-bet PF, you must be on a high pocket pair, and the A is a scare card for all but one of those. In that light, the bet(s) make sense, especially if he had a read on Hero from past hands that said he would fold to a turn raise on a scare card.

That said, I think that betting the river was too much.

MoreWineII
01-05-2005, 08:35 PM
A lot of players won't cap with AK, even AKs, so taking that mindset into account, I can see how some of these players won't put a preflop capper on an ace.

I suck at Engrish today, but hopefully that made some sense.