PDA

View Full Version : AK flops trips against tight, aggressive, thinking dude

bdk3clash
01-05-2005, 08:24 PM
I question my table selection. Opponent here is a standard tight-aggressive preflop not-too-aggressive-postflop 3/6 multitabler type. He appears to be hip enough to my game and hasn't been the type to call me down or take shots at me. VPIP 12.6%, PFR 8.4%, PFAF 2.6. The 4-bet preflop narrows the range of hands significantly, as he wouldn't tend to do this with non big-pair hands, but maybe AK or AKs, but likely not AQ or worse, though I could be wrong. Comments on each street and my overall line appreciated.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: bdk3clash is CO with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">bdk3clash 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, bdk3clash calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, bdk3clash calls.

Turn: (5.66 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, bdk3clash calls, planning on raising (and probably capping) the river.

Number4
01-05-2005, 08:41 PM
My question is why you didn't raise the turn - are you trying to encourage him to continue betting on the river, inducing a bluff?

Typically, I call this flop and then raise the turn.

SparkyDog
01-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Raising the turn screams that he has an ace. If whoever is really tight/thinking, this is a bad idea as he may well fold to the turn raise.

Even if he checks the river he'll call, so you'll get two bets in at least, with the possibility of three if he bets and bunky gets a raise in. By raising the turn you risk getting just one.

nolanfan34
01-05-2005, 08:47 PM
I like the line, if he's really tight enough to lay down KK or QQ to a turn raise.

What makes you so sure the river is going to be capped though? That only happens if he hits some 2-outer or if he also has AK, right? Can't see him capping with QQ or KK if he doesn't make a boat, based on your description.

Either way, your line looks good. He'll probably pay off one bet on the river after you raise.

bdk3clash
01-05-2005, 08:57 PM
I dunno, I may have gotten too fancy here. I usually just try to give my opponents enough rope to hang themselves because they're not too focused on my hand, but given that my opponent is a thinking player and that I have a bit of a read on him, I had a few things in mind:

1) he's somewhat unlikely to have an Ace here, unless he has AK, in which case where chopping. He didn't strike me a the type to cap (especially against me, a tight 3-bettor) with AKo, and he can't have AKs with the A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, so if this is the case we're chopping no matter what.

I was thinking at the time the most probable hand he'd be capping here with was QQ, then KK, and maybe JJ but I doubt it. So it really seemed like he had QQ here or maybe A/images/graemlins/heart.gifK/images/graemlins/heart.gif, or AKo.

So when he bets into me on the flop, he's either going to get into a raising war with me with a hand I tie or he has QQ (or worse) and is going to probably fold to a raise, or call the flop raise and fold the turn unimproved.

So I call the flop, and on the turn+river I'm doing what I can to get 3 bets in. If I raise the turn, again I think there's a good chance he (correrctly) folds right there, or re-raises with AK. So I called the turn, hoping he'd bet the river and call a raise (crying call and all), even though he should fold to the river raise with QQ.

I can't think of a way to get more bets in in this spot, but my thinking could be way off. I did have a pretty precise read on this opponent (thanks, Playerview!) so it allowed me to stop and think about how he'd react to raising the flop/turn, vs. just calling, and it seemes like calling the flop and turn was probably more profitable against his range of holdings.

bdk3clash
01-05-2005, 09:01 PM
It's pretty unlikely that the river is going to get 3-bet once I raise, but you're right, it's just situational what I'd do if he 3-bet depending on the board and all.

sfer
01-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Actually, I would be more inclined to think that a turn raise from a thinking player is something like KK/QQ/JJ.

DeeJ
01-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Seems fine to me. No FPS or CS from CO. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

bdk3clash
01-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Yeah but you're all retardo-aggressive and don't trust anyone. Some people don't have to get into turn 3/4-bet territory before they start thinking "hmm, maybe he has an Ace."

MRBAA
01-05-2005, 09:53 PM
I'd probably raise the turn to charge AQ or AJs, and maybe a suspicious KK-TT as well. But your way is good, too -- especially if he will bet and call a raise. Knowing you, I'd be pretty unhappy with your turn smooooooth all and would probably just check call the river. btw, I'll be at the club tomorrow (Thursday) for the first time in 3 weeks.

edtost
01-05-2005, 10:16 PM
sounds like dave needs to start playing 1/2 with mike l.

sfer
01-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Let's just say that if I had KK and I knew you were my opponent, I would call a turn raise and bet the river intending to fold to a raise.

I think I've cut back on a lot of my aggresso-donkness.

SparkyDog
01-06-2005, 10:25 PM
What hands is he checking through on the river that he raises you on the turn with that you beat?

I prefer check/calling to showdown after a turn raise here over your stop and go.

SparkyDog
01-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Why would thinking players take that line? In position with high pocket pairs raising at just about any point in the hand does two things: 1) Gets reraised by an ace. 2) Kills the action from worse hands.

The only reason to show aggression would be to fold out higher pocket pairs.