PDA

View Full Version : Motorized Scooters

mcozzy1
01-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Does anyone else have these racing around their neighborhoods? These things are annoying as hell when you're trying to play poker. Stupid-ass kids were out there 10 hours one day over Christmas break. They should make exceptions to the homicide laws.

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else have these racing around their neighborhoods? These things are annoying as hell when you're trying to play poker. Stupid-ass kids were out there 10 hours one day over Christmas break. They should make exceptions to the homicide laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember when we were kids and actualy had to ride our bicycles places under our own power. Or even *shudder* walk.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-06-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I had the same problem all summer. One... hefty... kid suped his up with a bigger lawnmower engine and that thing was freakin loud hauling his fat ass down the street at a speed slower than you could walk. Finally, enough people complained about the noise and about nearly ending several children's lives as they dart into the street on these things that the HOA 'cracked down' on them and all of a sudden, they quieted down. There's snow on the ground now, but in the last month, they all seem to be riding skateboards instead. What the hell happened to bikes?

The worst part of the whole thing is I'm over here bitching like I'm a damned codgy old man. Then earlier this week, I was taking out the garbage and saw 6 teenagers walking down the street and the first thing I thought was "Those fuckers better not dump my garbage cans." I'm only 24! I'm only 24! See what marriage and a house does to you? I spent my bonus money on dining room furniture and silverware!

jakethebake
01-06-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm only 24! I'm only 24! See what marriage and a house does to you? I spent my bonus money on dining room furniture and silverware!

[/ QUOTE ]
I hear ya. What happened to us? Seems like just yesterday we were the kids dumping garbage cans.

Shajen
01-06-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The worst part of the whole thing is I'm over here bitching like I'm a damned codgy old man. Then earlier this week, I was taking out the garbage and saw 6 teenagers walking down the street and the first thing I thought was "Those fuckers better not dump my garbage cans." I'm only 24! I'm only 24! See what marriage and a house does to you? I spent my bonus money on dining room furniture and silverware!

[/ QUOTE ]

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Dude, trust me when I say it only gets worse. (And [censored], I'm only 29)

daveymck
01-06-2005, 12:43 PM
They were the big thing in the UK last christmas but dies a bit once the police started cracking down on them as they cannot legally be used in any public area and I think needed insurance. Still see them but not as much as before.

Story below.

RESIDENTS in South Birmingham are being reminded that if they have scooters for Christmas they can only be used legally and safely on private property.

The warning comes from West Midlands Police because in recent years residents have tended to buy small, electric and petrol-powered scooters as Christmas presents.

Although they are designed for off-road use, there has been a trend for them to be used on public roads.

Because they do not meet the required EC legislation for motorised vehicles they should not be used on the roads.

And, it is not only the roads they are banned from, the vehicles cannot be used on off-road public sites because it is illegal to use motorised vehicles on the pavement or in parks.

Sgt Dave Swift, West Midlands' road policing officer, said the only legal safe place they can be used is on private property and then it is at the owner's and user's own risk.

"We know there is still some confusion around where and when scooters can be operated lawfully and safely.

"We want to help clear things up so that people do not break the law, or risk injury, intentionally or unintentionally.

"We urge people to consider these facts strongly before buying a scooter as a Christmas present this year."

And he added that those who sell these un-roadworthy vehicles can also be held accountable if they tell customers that they can be used on the roads

daveymck
01-06-2005, 12:47 PM
As I thought you also need insurance, a helmet and licence for those new gopeds so come to the UK poker income is tax free and no kids on electric scooters to annoy you, from the BBC

Scooters seized in 'tough stance'

There has been a sharp increase in the number of complaints about youngsters riding scooters illegally in Colwick Woods, Nottingham, police said.
In the past month, police have confiscated several scooters which have been uninsured or unroadworthy.

Officers are also concerned about so-called "Go-peds".

The small scooters with petrol or electric motors are classed as vehicles, which means riders need to have a licence, road tax and insurance.

Insp Andy Townsend, from Nottinghamshire Police, said: "If we catch somebody riding off road without the appropriate safety equipment or proper documentation we will seize the bike.

"It is up to that person then to come to us to claim the bike back and then we can ensure they have the proper paperwork and the proper equipment."

AncientPC
01-06-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you as well. /images/graemlins/frown.gif