PDA

View Full Version : How much would you call?

Toro
01-05-2005, 07:01 PM
I was faced with a tough river call on this hand. How much would you call in this spot. This was on-line and I had no read on the guy as it was the first time I ever played against him and it was early in the session. I'm Toro85 and villian is OddB.

PokerStars Game #1038037938: Hold'em No Limit ($2/$4) - 2005/01/04 - 18:23:54 (ET)
Table 'Alekto' Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: repollo ($45.40 in chips)
Seat 2: Takeover1 ($388.70 in chips)
Seat 3: Toro85 ($356.50 in chips)
Seat 4: RaiserBlood ($79.60 in chips)
Seat 5: jra0615 ($91.95 in chips)
Seat 6: TucsonOG ($288.90 in chips)
Seat 7: OddB ($400 in chips)
Seat 9: Ivanovitch ($383.20 in chips)
TucsonOG: posts small blind $2
OddB: posts big blind $4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Toro85 [5c 5d]
Ivanovitch: folds
repollo: raises $8 to $12
Takeover1: folds
Toro85: calls $12
RaiserBlood: folds
jra0615: folds
TucsonOG: folds
OddB: calls $8
*** FLOP *** [4s 5h Jh]
OddB: checks
repollo: checks
Toro85: bets $20
OddB: calls $20
repollo: calls $20
*** TURN *** [4s 5h Jh] [Jc]
OddB: checks
repollo: checks
Toro85: bets $44
OddB: calls $44
repollo: folds
*** RIVER *** [4s 5h Jh Jc] [Qs]
OddB: bets ?????

What's the most you would call here?

Wayfare
01-05-2005, 07:05 PM
His action only really makes sense with 44 (or JJ but that's quads and you can't really worry about this). I would call any reasonable bet. I would have to think about any bet over 150% of the pot.

ericlambi
01-05-2005, 07:11 PM
I would call everything I had. There are only two hands that beat 55 here . . . JJ and QQ. If he has one of them, I guess I'm screwed, but I'm not folding on that chance.

Siawyn
01-05-2005, 07:14 PM
QJ is a winner here too, and he might have called since he got a discount from the big blind.

Wayfare
01-05-2005, 07:15 PM
You think QJ plays that way?

My QJ folds preflop, calls flop, and definately raises turn.

tbach24
01-05-2005, 07:19 PM
I would call off my stack because the only hand that beats you that isn't a likely raise preflop is QJ. I think JJ and QQ would've re-raised. AJ is another possibility except I would've expected at least a raise on the turn with that. I'm not familiar with the 2/4 game but that's my two cents.

Siawyn
01-05-2005, 07:23 PM
I highly doubt he has QJ. I was just pointing out that there's a another "reasonable" hand (I dont consider J5 reasonable, etc) that is a winner here. I would definitely be raising the turn too. I probably wouldn't be calling preflop but I see people calling with suited connectors all the time from their blinds.. and QJ is just a bigger suited connector than most.

Siawyn
01-05-2005, 07:26 PM
I probably call off my whole stack here, but I also bet it a little bit more on the turn. Great place to string along trip jacks here.

TrailofTears
01-05-2005, 07:30 PM
I'd call any bet here. There are, what, four hands you have to worry about, and I think you are ahead of a lot of hands that will bet here, AJ being one of them. I really really like my hand here and would be overjoyed to see him bet here(yeah, a bit nervous too, but I always am without the absolute nuts). Any reads that might help here? Probably not. Nice hand, I hope you called (if only to tell us how it ended up - yes, I am selfish.) Well, hope it turned out good and best of luck.

- ToT

TrailofTears
01-05-2005, 07:34 PM
God, reading my post is like reading the rambling mind of a child with ADD. Sorry about that, I've been couped up in this office too long I guess.

- ToT

Toro
01-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Thank you all for the responses. Before posting I felt like a total fish when I called his $100 bet and lost because as soon as he bet I immediately put him on QJ but called anyway. But I feel better in that you all said you would call too. Again thanks, here's the rest of the hand:

*** RIVER *** [4s 5h Jh Jc] [Qs]
OddB: bets $100
Toro85: calls $100
*** SHOW DOWN ***
OddB: shows [Jd Qc] (a full house, Jacks full of Queens)
Toro85: mucks hand
OddB collected $383 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $386 | Rake $3
Board [4s 5h Jh Jc Qs]
Seat 1: repollo folded on the Turn
Seat 2: Takeover1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Toro85 mucked [5c 5d]
Seat 4: RaiserBlood folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: jra0615 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: TucsonOG (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: OddB (big blind) showed [Jd Qc] and won ($383) with a full house, Jacks full of Queens
Seat 9: Ivanovitch folded before Flop (didn't bet)

BobboFitos
01-06-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you all for the responses. Before posting I felt like a total fish when I called his $100 bet and lost because as soon as he bet I immediately put him on QJ but called anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would've considered pushing the river...

Then probably just called. But I dont know. No way do I fold here. Sorry it didn't work out Toro

soah
01-06-2005, 10:03 AM
When he comes alive on the river it sure looks like the queen hit him. I wouldn't fold, but I certainly would not be confident that I have the best hand. I would have bet more on the previous streets though.

BobboFitos
01-06-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When he comes alive on the river it sure looks like the queen hit him. I wouldn't fold, but I certainly would not be confident that I have the best hand. I would have bet more on the previous streets though.

[/ QUOTE ]

His bet could easily be a value bet from just trip jacks, expecting an opponent to check behind when they might call a bet.

Of course, looking at the previous action, it doesn't look like he flopped top pair... I understand the check on the flop, and perhaps he froze when YOU bet out, (expecting PFR to follow through) but I'm surprised he didn't C/R turn or lead out. Maybe he had busted OESD...? /images/graemlins/smile.gif Overly optimistic.

Also, Toro, bet more on the turn. I think you made a 1/2 pot bet, (44 into ~90ish???) I'd be inclined to throw like 60 ish. You want to get opponents' stack here if they DO have something like KJ, QJ, JT, etc... (Turn)