PDA

View Full Version : Great hand at the wrong time

Harv72b
01-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Could I have extracted a few more chips out of this monster?

Reads: MP1 is a LP-P over 200+ hands, but has suddenly found his aggression within during this session, and has bordered on a maniac in heads up situations. CO is your more typical loose fish with a penchant for raising the river when he flops top pair (no bother if a higher card has come along since). Button is unknown, on his first orbit. BB is a fairly solid player most times, but will gladly lose $20 to protect his $2 blind.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, MP1 folds, CO folds.

this seems like the perfect flop for me to pull a c/r, as I'm assuming that MP1 will claim credit for an ace whether he has one or not and BB will call 2 to defend his 1 with any sort of a draw. Ah well...so much for the perfect plan; Button bets and I decide to just call rather than face the other two with 2 cold. That doesn't work either. Dammit.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

I plan another check/raise, but I'm not too upset when he checks it through. This gives him another street to "catch up", right?

River: (3.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

I'm getting sick of this c/r stuff, so I bet out. I've figured at this point that he has the J anyway, and sure enough, he raises confident in at least chopping. I have no idea what little angel told him not to cap, but them's the breaks. Right?

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Comments/suggestions welcomed, of course. I included what I was thinking at the time to save the effort later, but in all honesty, even with hindsight I don't see how I could have played this differently. I might have gained an extra 2 SBs by betting out the flop, I guess.

lightw1thoutheat
01-05-2005, 07:10 PM
this looks like FPS
i bet the flop, and hope to get raised. depending on how many callers you got between you and the button, i either raise or call. On the turn, i think i'd lead, because a c/r screams a 7, imo. You want to build a big pot in this situation. If you bet the flop, no one will put you on a 7. Remember, fast-playing is the new slow-playing.
-light

Harv72b
01-05-2005, 07:38 PM
This is where I had (and am still having) trouble with the flop decision...

If I bet out and someone else has an A, I probably get raised, which is a good thing. But if I bet out and nobody else has an A, I stand a very good chance of the field folding after a rainbow, uncoordinated flop.

In hindsight, on this hand it certainly appears that nobody had an A (Button showed KJo)...in a situation like this where a free card is very unlikely to hurt me, is it really worth betting out and running the risk of folding the field?

JerseyTom
01-05-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But if I bet out and nobody else has an A, I stand a very good chance of the field folding after a rainbow, uncoordinated flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's showbiz. You're only going to get substantial action if someone else makes a decent 2nd-best hand. Bet out on the flop and take it from there.

Tom

jayrutz2
01-05-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this looks like FPS
iRemember, fast-playing is the new slow-playing.
-light

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL /images/graemlins/grin.gif

thirddan
01-05-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming that MP1 will claim credit for an ace whether he has one or not

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you assume that someone that limped from middle position would bet into the field with or without an A?

Harv72b
01-05-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why would you assume that someone that limped from middle position would bet into the field with or without an A?

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd been doing that for most of the session. At least, he'd been betting nearly every flop &amp; either folding or winning the pot on the turn...about 50/50 when it went to showdown whether or not he actually had top pair.

Plus, he's only betting into two people who limped from LP.

profpeebody
01-06-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
in a situation like this where a free card is very unlikely to hurt me, is it really worth betting out and running the risk of folding the field?

[/ QUOTE ]

On the flop, someone could have had an inside straight draw. A set of 7's is strong but not enough to think about a free card. Push on the flop, bet out and hope you can 3bet. If for some reason you check, check raise. Once the 7 turns you can start being sly.

bisonbison
01-06-2005, 11:44 AM
bet the damn flop.