PDA

View Full Version : Tried to get tricky with aces.

Muisyle
01-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 ($27.01)
Hero ($52.03)
MP3 ($47.5)
CO ($107.55)
Button ($54.09)
SB ($102.7)
BB ($75)
UTG ($60.35)
UTG+1 ($66.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $10</font>, Hero calls $10, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB (poster) calls $9.50, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $7.

Flop: ($41) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB is all-In [$92.7], gdotozo is all-In [$17.01], Hero...

My normal play here is simply to reraise all in preflop. However I tried to mix it up by just called and hopefully drawing some more callers or a reraise from the original raiser. Ok so I got my callers... now what the hell is he betting with? Do I call this flop? Was it a mistake to not have reraised preflop?

Benal
01-05-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was it a mistake to not have reraised preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, especially with a raise, reraise ahead of you. I'd make it $25-$30 here.

[ QUOTE ]
what the hell is he betting with? Do I call this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends on your read of SB.. Would he usually slowplay a set? Would he do this with JJ/QQ/KK or a flush draw? I'd probably call, and expect to be ahead more times than not.

Muisyle
01-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Well I didn't have any particular read on him (heh, does anyone who posts here ever...), but my thinking was this:

I could have reraised like I usually do, and what probably would have happened was the original raiser would fold, and MP1 would call. Which is fine since I'm a huge favorite over anything. But doesn't equity go up with more callers?

What hands would he call a $10 raise with? Without much of a read I would say AA-TT, maybe AK. I know I wouldn't be calling with 55 or 66 unless like several more people had called. If he had TT, why would he play it this fast? I'm pretty much ruling out TT. Aces are unlikely since I hold two. KK-JJ seems very likely. Flush draw seems unlikely since I have the A of clubs (only likely flush draw hand is AKs... unless he's REALLY lose and has KQs).

So that leaves KK, QQ, JJ which I'm way ahead of, and 66, 55 which I'm way behind.

Is this proper thinking?

Benal
01-05-2005, 05:52 PM
NL is all about reads.

Do yourself a favor and get pokertracker along with playerview

ihardlyknowher
01-05-2005, 05:56 PM
I would call. I would put the SB on a semi-bluff (maybe 7c,8c). Why else would he move in right away. If he flopped a set, he would check to the pre-flop raiser and then move in over the top of him and any other callers (this would put more money in the pot). His all-in will likely drive people out. Also, he could have put everyone else all-in with a smaller bet (seems like another scare tactic). Then again, it could be a trap. The all-in call from the player in between seems like a desparation call into a big pot. Given all this, I would call. If it was a trap from the SB, I would make a note of it and not fall for it again.

Tilt
01-05-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, A. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $3, MP1 raises to $10, Hero calls $10, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB (poster) calls $9.50, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im so confused. Are you MP2 or SB?

[ QUOTE ]
My normal play here is simply to reraise all in preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats too much. You would only get called by KK usually. Id raise it 30, that drags AK, QQ into the mix.

[ QUOTE ]
However I tried to mix it up by just called and hopefully drawing some more callers or a reraise from the original raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

A reraise from the orginal raiser is rare. He'd have to have KK or AA I would think. Super aggro games will see players do this with AK, but i doubt it here.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok so I got my callers... now what the hell is he betting with? Do I call this flop? Was it a mistake to not have reraised preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are not SB?

I dont know how you can fold. I mean, wasnt this what you dreamed about when you flat called preflop?

On the other hand, you are probably behind a decent amount of the time here to trips, and you will get sucked out on by a flush a decent percent of the time as well. Not the happiest call youll ever make, but worth the gamble.

Potowame
01-05-2005, 06:07 PM
I would have reraised preflop here, You can get a little tricky when you are sure it is going to be heads up.

The more hands that enter the pot the less % chance you have to win the pot and it is going to be near impossible to get away from this post flop.

With a back door flush draw, Top over pair you have to call here. Buy the way it would have been alot easier decision if you had put half your stack in preflop /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Muisyle
01-05-2005, 06:12 PM
I am MP2. When it says SB (poster) that means the guy posted a SB. The converter does that.

As for going all in preflop... If I raise to $30 with a $50 stack there is simply no question that I have AA or KK. If I go all in... maybe not. Maybe I have AK, maybe some other pair. What hand would someone raise 60% of their stack with but not go all in? What would someone call a $30 raise with but not call an all in? I've never seen anyone call a $30 raise with AK that wouldn't call a $50 raise.

Muisyle
01-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Flop: ($41) 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif , 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif , T /images/graemlins/club.gif (4 players)
SB is all in. MP1 is all in. Hero is all in.

Turn: ($140) 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif (4 players)

River: ($140) 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif (4 players)

Final Pot: $140

Results below:
SB has 6h 6d (three of a kind, sixes).
MP1 has Jc Jd (flush, jack high).
Hero has Ac Ad (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins $140.

DrPublo
01-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Too tricky, no good! There's already significant action in front of you, make a play to get it all in preflop here since at least one of them will likely come along and if not you can still pick up a decent sized pot uncontested. Besides, what thinking player sees you coldcall a raise and a reraise and doesn't get spooked? It pretty well defines your hand as at least QQ.

There are times to get tricky with aces, sure, but I prefer those situations to be heads up. Example from last night:

I limp UTG with AA...fold to MP who makes it 4...fold back to me I call. Flop is rag rag rag, I check he bets 6 I call. Turn is a 9, so the board now looks like 2389 or something, I check he bets 10, I make it 30, he pushes, I call....he had TT and I take a big pot.

I only just called preflop because it was heads up and since I figured him for high cards or a decent PP I was pretty sure I could outplay him postflop, even out of position. If there were other limpers/callers I definitely limp reraise in that spot. Another nice situation for getting tricky with AA is when someone raises from EP in front of you and you can coldcall on the button (if folded to you) with AA hoping the blinds fold.

In general the time to get tricky with AA is when you think a big reraise preflop will kill the action, not when there's already a ton of action.

The Doc