PDA

View Full Version : How many hands per orbit?

Redd
01-05-2005, 04:19 PM
So as my bankroll grows and shrinks, it seems like I'm always either wondering if I'm catching good hole cards (when I'm winning) or bad ones (when I'm losing). I often find myself wondering when I'm actually getting an "average" number of playable hands.

If I had some sort of baseline to compare these against I could at least take a step towards figuring out if it's suck or luck that makes me lose and win.

So my basic question to everyone (especially those who play around 18ish VP$IP or mostly use SSHE recommendations): how many hands, per orbit, do you play to the flop on average? In other words, how many times do you not fold pf?

Of course, variance will be super high etc. but I think even a rough number would be helpful for many newbies' sanity.

Redd

SheridanCat
01-05-2005, 04:27 PM
I might be missing something, but the VP$IP percentage pretty much tells the story. I doesn't account for checking the big blind, but you maybe can assume you see half of your big blinds without putting in additional money. Wouldn't someone with a 20% VP$IP be seeing, roughly, 2.5-3 hands per orbit? Assumes a 10 player table.

Or am I not understanding the question?

Regards,

T

Siingo
01-05-2005, 04:37 PM
That was what I was thinking too.. But as you said I might not understand the question either...

VP $ IP means voluntary put money in pot in %... 20% mean 2 times/orbit if you are 10 players at the table. And you might also see some BB hads where you will fold after the flop..

Redd
01-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Actually it looks like both of you guys understood the question, forgive me if it seemed a little simplified. Last time I was on a downswing I posted (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=begin&Number=1427903&Forum =f18&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=1427719&Sea rch=true&where=bodysub&Name=17905&daterange=1&newe rval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=# Post1427903) something similar, but related it to VP$IP and it turned into more of a VP$IP discussion. So I thought I'd just ask it outright.

Anyways, that's what I suspected, and it means my 20 orbits with 5 playable hands were irregular (phew). Thanks for clearing things up.

Redd

Siingo
01-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Glad I could help!
Have fun!

OrianasDaad
01-05-2005, 06:41 PM
I've got a VPIP of 18.2% and a VPSB of 31%. From what I've seen here these stats are fairly standard for a tight player.

My "Saw Flop All Hands": 25.63%. That's about 5 flops seen every 2 orbits on a full (10-handed) table.

Over the long-term you'll catch an average number of playable hands.

Another way is to figure out on a hand-by-hand basis if you've been getting your "fair share" of playable hands. Pairs, suited hands, and offsuit non-pair hands all have distinct probabilities of occurrance.

Suited: 3%
Pair: 4.5%
Offsuit: 9.1%

Multiply each of these by the number of hands you have in your DB. (I have 14,477)

Suited: 43.431 times.
Filtering for Suited Aces, suited Kings, suited broadways, and suited connectors - I get an average of 42.9. I'm a little short here, but not much.

Pairs: 65.14 times.
I've gotten, on average 67.5 of each pair, so I'm definately running good with this type of starting hand.

Offsuit Non-Pair: 131.74 times
Only filtering for AK-AT, KQ, QJ, and JT I get a 127.8 - a little short.

Doing a little more work, I see that I've gotten more than my share of suited cards and pairs, and less than my share of offsuit cards. I can say that I've been running "pretty good".

I got the percentages from http://wizardofodds.com/games/holdem.html. Someone let me know if they are inaccurate.