PDA

View Full Version : Set on a coordinated board-

MrOnizuka
01-05-2005, 04:17 PM
First real post, so don't be gentle.

UB .25/.50 NL game

I have about 60 in front. Villain has about 70, only hand I saw him win was when he potted the turn and river with a straight and got paid off by TPTK.

With villain in the SB, guy to my right raises min and I call with 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Folded around to Villain who calls the raise and the BB folds.

Flop comes 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. With 3.50 in the pot, Villain bets 1.75, guy on my right calls, I bet the pot. Villain instantly calls, guy on my right folds.

Turn is a 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and Villain immediately bets the pot again. I..?

swolfe
01-05-2005, 04:40 PM
when you say you "bet the pot" on the flop, does that mean you raised it to $3.50? or to $8.75? what's the pot on the turn? it only matters for stack/implied odds considerations...

looks to me like he hit the straight or maybe straight plus flush...A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif-3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif? he called your flop raise trying to keep the guy between you in.

i think i'd probably call the bet and see what the river is...against the nuts you're 20.45% to win. that plus the fact that you'll stack him if you boat up, and the decent possibility that you're actually ahead of overplayed big pairs or undersets.

Big Mac
01-05-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i think i'd probably call the bet and see what the river is...against the nuts you're 20.45% to win. that plus the fact that you'll stack him if you boat up, and the decent possibility that you're actually ahead of overplayed big pairs or undersets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Add over playing 2 pair to the list of hands you are ahead hell I've seen draws played this way.

After the 20% to hit boat or better, the many hands that may be behind, you also have some chop outs if he does have the goods.

Pot odds + Implied odds + chance that you are ahead I think this is an easy call.

Edit: If he has made straight you have a little better than a 20% chance to hit as you can discount his 2 cards. 10 outs with 44 cards unaccounted for rather than 46 cards.

MrOnizuka
01-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Yeah, bet Pot button as in raise to 8.75.

Any how, I did just call, and folded to an all in on a river A.

Any thoughts on how I could've played this differently on the earlier streets? The turn 6 didnt really scare me any more than his flop call did, as I thought he either had an mid-pocket or A3 to begin with.

tylerg
01-05-2005, 07:49 PM
I would definitly fold...specifically the immediate call after a small bet he made got raised smells like a straight draw to me, i see quick calls like this made by drawing hands all the time.

His play did seem like it was possible he had a overpair but not likely, it would have to be 77 88 99 {10 10) because otherwise he probably would have reraised the small preflop raise...obviously 66 is a possiblity too but similarly unlikely...IT seems to me you really just have to fold because you arent commited to the pot and if you call this bet you might be, and you may even end up paying off his probable straight on the river because of how much you would have already invested...

you had about 8 dollars in and the bet in consideration made on the turn by the villain was 24 or so (pot) after calling this, if you did, you would be getting better than 4 to 1 to call the last 25 or so in your stack on the river which would probably be another mistake....I don't think calling the turn to try and boat up is worthwhile at all either as another poster suggested...

A set on a board with one card able to make a straight is not a hand you want to call a sizeable bet with...He probably has A3 and flopped the straight or maybe a pair or wired 33 which hit the straight on the turn

Add over playing 2 pair to the list of hands you are ahead hell I've seen draws played this way.

After the 20% to hit boat or better, the many hands that may be behind, you also have some chop outs if he does have the goods.

Pot odds + Implied odds + chance that you are ahead I think this is an easy call.

Edit: If he has made straight you have a little better than a 20% chance to hit as you can discount his 2 cards. 10 outs with 44 cards unaccounted for rather than 46 cards.

especially at PP there is the chance he is a moron betting a flush draw or something but I don't think thats the case here and there isnt any reason to risk your stack on the chance hes overplaying a hand you can beat : :smirk

P.S. I hadnt seen the posters second post in the thread when I wrote this originally...the river all in further confirms he had the straight without too much doubt... I THINK THAT THE POSTER I QUOTED IS GIVING YOU TERRIBLE ADVICE...that will lose you lots of money....hell consider this, the villain could be the type of idiot who would bet the whole way through with a draw or lower set or two pair but he has to make a good hand sometime as well, even if he is terrible its more likely hes got the straight than the rest of those hands and your foolishly giving a bad player your money...and thats all assuming hes very bad and aggressive...its much more likely hes a reasonable player who has the srtaight and WOULDNT PLAY ANY OTHER HAND THIS WAY....

hope this helps

tylerg
01-05-2005, 08:25 PM
/images/graemlins/confused.gif DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK THIS IS A MUST FOLD....i feel like the original poster needs to hear more responses telling him to fold...i hate seeing the bad advice on here....it can really cost people money if they take it.