PDA

View Full Version : bottom set on monotone flop

mr pink
01-05-2005, 03:14 PM
2/4 live game,

villain just sat down so no reads per usual

hero dealt 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

1 limper, hero limps around MP, CO limps, button limps, small blind calls, big blind checks. 6 take the flop
for 6 small bets.

flop: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 small bets

sb checks, bb bets, 1st limper folds, hero raises, folded to sb who calls, bb folds.

turn: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif - great 5.5 big bets

small blind checks, hero bets... stupid bet no?

peace - jeff

PokerBob
01-05-2005, 03:16 PM
I don't think this is a stupid bet. You may get villain to fold. You also have 10 outs. Maybe I'm nuts, but I bet this every time.

mr pink
01-05-2005, 03:28 PM
that was my thinking at the time when i bet it. after going over the hand, i thought some more about it and think i should have checked.

with the small blind checking then calling 2 cold on the flop, i put him on a high club draw -when the club hits the turn, he's made his hand and it's unlikely he's going anywhere for another turn bet. also if he's holding the ace, i'm definitely looking at a check/raise which would suck b/c i have outs to draw to the boat. all in all i don't see any flush folding here for a bet and the threat of a check/raise makes betting an even worse idea. i think i should have just taken the free card and hoped to fill up.

is my thinking off base here? what do you guys think?

peace - jeff

Redeye
01-05-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this is a stupid bet. You may get villain to fold. You also have 10 outs. Maybe I'm nuts, but I bet this every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want villian to fold? Yes it would be nice to fold a small club, but if he called the flop with one he probably isn't folding the turn with it. I personally don't know what the best line is but getting c/r with a live draw when behind sucks.

Gatts
01-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Because if he doesn't have a club, he has 9 outs to chop?

chief444
01-05-2005, 05:22 PM
At first I thought the bet was fine. But after considering SB calling two cold on the flop I think a check may be better. If the pot were bigger I'd say bet considering 9 outs to a split if he doesn't have a club or that he may fold a small club. I'm not as worried about that with a fairly small pot.

27offsooot
01-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Bet. At first, I thought about checking to induce a river bluff, minimize your losses if he has the flush. Now that I think about it though, having to split this pot to a board flush would suck. Call the check-raise to fill up. River i probably make the desperation call if he CRs and leads, but i don't think it's right to. If he just calls the turn bet, check behind on the river unimproved.

chief444
01-05-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet. At first, I thought about checking to induce a river bluff, minimize your losses if he has the flush. Now that I think about it though, having to split this pot to a board flush would suck. Call the check-raise to fill up. River i probably make the desperation call if he CRs and leads, but i don't think it's right to.

[/ QUOTE ]
Splitting the pot costs you about 2.75 BB's. Betting, calling a check/raise, and then calling a river bet unimproved costs you 3 BB's. That's why I like the bet a lot better in a bigger pot.

Redeye
01-05-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet. At first, I thought about checking to induce a river bluff, minimize your losses if he has the flush. Now that I think about it though, having to split this pot to a board flush would suck

[/ QUOTE ]

Your talking about him not having at minimum the 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif AND the 5th club hitting only 20% of the time causing you to split about a 6BB pot. This seems like too much in this small of a pot to worry about, having to put in another BB when drawing live against a made flush would suck. Also, I think there is value in an induced bluff on the river if no club hits.

[ QUOTE ]
River i probably make the desperation call if he CRs and leads, but i don't think it's right to. If he just calls the turn bet, check behind on the river unimproved

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to bet, get c/r, and don't fill up I think its a pretty big mistake to call a bet on the river in this small pot.