PDA

View Full Version : Bankroll Management

El Maximo
01-05-2005, 02:12 PM
How are you managing multiple bankrolls? I play SnGs, MTTs, and some ring. My time spent at the ring games is limited lately. Are you tracking a seperate amount of buy-ins for each? I usually have 50 buyins for the SnGs, 30 buyins for the MTTs, and 300 BB for the ring games. This seems like overkill to me. I like to have a large bankroll for peace of mind but think I can trim my online roll down some. My wife and I share a bankroll so I also have a 50 buyin for her SnGs too. Anyone have a good suggestions for managing bankroll when playing sngs, mtts, and ring games.

The4Aces
01-05-2005, 03:16 PM
If i ever decided to play ring games seriously i would probably open an account at another skin. On the other skin i would play ring only and on party i would play SNG only.

codewarrior
01-05-2005, 06:57 PM
I take it one step further and have one site I play only tournaments on, and one site I play only ring. I just started playing on Pokerroom - I thought it was boring as hell, but it may have been nad tables. Can't decide if I like ring or SnG better there. Thoughts?

I'm codewarriorX there, codewarrior everyplace else.

reecelights
01-05-2005, 07:45 PM
I usually only play SNGs but track all three seperately on a spreadsheet that tracks my Poker finances. I only play at Party but break down my BR seperately. This also lets me compare hourly rates between the three.

Interesting question, though. I'd looking forward to seeing other responses.

codewarrior
01-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Good point. I keep track of SnG's on a spreadsheet, and use only PokerTracker for ring, myself.

raptor517
01-05-2005, 08:14 PM
sngs on excel, ring games on pokertracker

El Maximo
01-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Let me rephrase the question. I do track all my stats seperately and have some confidence in my my win rates for sngs, mtts, and ring games. Are you keeping a bankroll for each or are you managing your bankroll some other way.

Example

$2-$4 Ring 300BB = $1200
$50 MTTs 30 Buys = $1500
$33 SnGs 50 Buys = $1650

Total = $4350

Is this large a bankroll really necessary or would just using the largest bankroll of $1650 be enough.

CCCCC
01-05-2005, 10:28 PM
It seems that if you had one bankroll for all 3 games, it would not need to be much larger than the bankroll required for the one game with the highest variance. I may be wrong on this. My reasoning is the same as the reasoning that a larger bankroll is not required for 4-tabling than for 1-tabling.

If you have 3 seperate bankrolls, and plan to quit a particular game if you ever blow the entire roll for that game, then I think your rolls are about right.

Just my thoughts. (I just have the one large bankroll that covers all the games.)

KingOtter
01-05-2005, 10:35 PM
I've been considering this, too. Because I like playing SnG's, but have been playing ring. I want to get in 20k hands at ring before I move up, but have hit the 300BB I need in order to move up to .50/1. But I've been wondering the same thing... do I keep both?

The reason for the 300BB buy-in on ring (or the 30 buy-ins for SnG) is to take variance into account. It gets you comfortable enough that if you have a downstreak that you still have plenty of air to pull it out before you hit the ground. And it is just a starting level, as I understand it.

So... what I'm thinking is that it is alright for my bankrolls to be combined and play both. But if I start a nosedive in both sides of it, I need to back off of one and only play the other until I pull out of it. If I don't want to have to do this, then I need a bankroll for each.

KO

Sluss
01-06-2005, 08:11 AM
At Pokerroom the SNGs are pretty tight at least compared to Party. Much easier to blind steal with not many others understanding blind stealing. And bigger starting stacks allowing for less time in the push or fold mode.

The multi's are smaller which means smaller payouts but more money places.

I stay away from the hold 'em ring games because unless your playing higher limits it is just insane. Just monster variance. Swings of a hundred of dollars in .50/1.00 games. I have found that the 7 Card Stud ring games are pretty soft.