PDA

View Full Version : AJo in BB vs a Button Raise

kurosh
01-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 6 BB

Button is 20VP$IP/10PFR/1.4AF
BB is 23/7/1.9
No read on UTG.

I was planning to fold to a raise by Button on the flop or the turn. Good?

oscark
01-05-2005, 01:47 PM
I would have probably attempted to checkraise the flop. Considering you did bet out on the flop, if the button raised, I think a fold is not correct.

Billy Baroo
01-05-2005, 02:01 PM
I'd check/raise the flop. Not only is betting out less profitable IMO, but it makes you tremendously easy to read.

kurosh
01-05-2005, 02:04 PM
I didn't checkraise because I thought there was a high likelihood he had a better ace or two pair with AQ and it'd be easier for me to read his hand. I would not like to CR, him call, me bet out on the turn and him raise.

Turning Stone Pro
01-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Check-raise the flop to force the UTG out (because he has two high cards and is drawing to a straight, for the right price, on the turn).

Lead on the turn, and call it down if you get raised.

TSP

Turning Stone Pro
01-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Nope, poor strategy. You have to either check-raise the flop, or muck on the flop. You cant give the other players a chance to draw cheap.

On the flop, you are ahead at least 75% of the time.

TSP

Bill C
01-05-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't checkraise because I thought there was a high likelihood he had a better ace or two pair with AQ and it'd be easier for me to read his hand. I would not like to CR, him call, me bet out on the turn and him raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

A better Ace isn't very likely, especially the way the betting has gone. I think you could represent AQ on the flop by CR, and see what he does. If he just called, I would bet out on the turn, rather than trying another CR, since he could just check down, and if he called again on the turn, I'd bet out again on the river. Opps that are that passive might beat you once in a while, but not very often.

bill

bcunha
01-05-2005, 03:26 PM
I read this from a 1/2 mindset and immediately put the preflop raiser on a blind steal with rags/missed hand. If the flop hits you at all, you're only realistically behind AA, AQ, AK, and QQ. Show strength and he's usually gone. A CR would probably have been higher +EV because he would bet in the lead 90% of the time trying to steal the pot, and there's a possible extra SB in there. If he was indeed on a draw, with 9:1 in a multiway, I doubt he's folding to a small bet. CRing gets you more money in the pot and can get rid of him even before the turn.

Would a 3-bet PF here be a smart move? You could probably knock out UTG (if he's calling from EP, he's probably behind AJo). Also, giving the button the opportunity to cap reveals a little more about his hand, right?

Just throwing some thoughts out, trying to get into the groove of hand analysis.

Luke
01-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Nope, poor strategy. You have to either check-raise the flop, or muck on the flop. You cant give the other players a chance to draw cheap.

On the flop, you are ahead at least 75% of the time.

I agree that hero should be checkraising this flop, but in what case is he folding this flop? I mean even if you check, UTG bets, button (PF raiser) raises, are you folding?

Luke

kurosh
01-05-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I read this from a 1/2 mindset and immediately put the preflop raiser on a blind steal with rags/missed hand. If the flop hits you at all, you're only realistically behind AA, AQ, AK, and QQ. Show strength and he's usually gone. A CR would probably have been higher +EV because he would bet in the lead 90% of the time trying to steal the pot, and there's a possible extra SB in there. If he was indeed on a draw, with 9:1 in a multiway, I doubt he's folding to a small bet. CRing gets you more money in the pot and can get rid of him even before the turn.

Would a 3-bet PF here be a smart move? You could probably knock out UTG (if he's calling from EP, he's probably behind AJo). Also, giving the button the opportunity to cap reveals a little more about his hand, right?

Just throwing some thoughts out, trying to get into the groove of hand analysis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I put him on about a 60-70% chance of trying to isolate the limper/stealing. I think CR is the right move.

Turning Stone Pro
01-05-2005, 06:12 PM
I was being sarcastic. This should be a check-raise every time. Of course, if for some reason you misread your hand, or misclick, and end up checking, then continue to play.

TSP

Luke
01-06-2005, 10:40 AM
I was being sarcastic.

Oh, my bad.

Luke

highland
01-06-2005, 12:54 PM
You're playing a bit timid on this one. Raising preflop is much better than calling. The UTG limper is looking for a family pot most of the time (he could also be limp reraising). The last thing he wants is to be facing 2 bets against just 2 opponents. Make him pay to catch a middle pair. The button is probably just trying to isolate the limper. There are a _lot_ of hands he could hold that you dominate (KJ, QJ, JTs, AT, A9, Axs ...). Even though his PFR is just 10%, it'll be a lot higher in this favorable spot.

I wouldn't fold this hand to any heads-up betting. He could raise you with any 2 of KJTd or 2 of KQTs, even JTo if he thinks you're likely to fold and he's picked up a double-belly buster. Heck he could raise with any Q, hoping to push you off Ax, otherwise check behind on the river for a same-price showdown.

cheers,
highland