PDA

View Full Version : Have i become a bad player overnight? (or was i never a good player!?!

jibs1
01-05-2005, 12:48 PM
I have been playing pokerroom 10+1 sng's for almost a year, actually 9 months (play here as i only have a Mac). For the first 6 months or so i was doing very well - ITM c. 45% and ROI c. 30%, but lately i have been on a downward spiral. I avtually think i am a reasonably good player as my live record is quite good, i have had two top three placing in only 5 100plus MTT's etc etc, so am a bit peeved at my recent run.

I recently went on a 15 game run being out of the money and whilst the first three were down to hideous outdraws i think after that, i played with a lot of frustration and have slightly got it back. I dropped down to 5+1's and have improved a little, getting my ROI since my losing streak up to 30%, although it would be negative if you included the 15 losses.

My point (there is a point!) is that on pokerroom you start with 1500 chips and if i follow the golden rune of how we all play SNG's, if i dont get a premium hand or i miss with say AK, i can quite easily be down to 1200 chips by level 5/6 and typically these days there are still 6-8 people left. So its harder to play and steal blinds when you only cover the BB by say 6-8 times when there are some big stacks.

I tend to need to get over 2000 chips in the first 3 levels to give me enough stack to bully, otherwise i dont really have enough weight and credibility later on.

So unless i have a hand early and sneak past 2000 chips, i tend to leave myself too much to do later on and more often than not its too late unless i get the rockets and people walk into them. Also often my JJ or KK which i want called doesnt and therefore i only steal say 225 from the SB and BB.

I think this tends to be a common theme, that the tight aggresive players are getting blinded away as the maniacs have either learnt how to play and are tighter or have gone to Steps.

I am not prepared to bluff a table of more than 6 players but am more than happy to open up with 5-6 left, problem is by then we are normally up to level 6-7?

Any thoughts out there. How should i be playing 6-7 handed? more aggresively early on - taking a few risks and risking a couple of blow-outs?

revots33
01-05-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I recently went on a 15 game run being out of the money and whilst the first three were down to hideous outdraws i think after that, i played with a lot of frustration and have slightly got it back. I dropped down to 5+1's and have improved a little, getting my ROI since my losing streak up to 30%, although it would be negative if you included the 15 losses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like you hit a bad streak, nothing more than that. Everyone who plays SNG's regularly has the occasional winless streak. I don't think this requires any radical changes or reexamination of your play. Even if you finished ITM 50% of the time, statistically you'd be bound to hit a prolonged winless streak now and then. It's no different than red coming out on a roulette wheel 10 or more times in a row.

The only question you need to ask is if your winless streak lasted longer than it needed to, because your frustration led to worse play or tilting on your part. Other than that keep playing the tight-agressive game that's worked in the past, and before long a win streak will come to balance out the losing streak.

In ring games the mantra is to play correctly and not be "results-oriented". I sometimes find that harder to do in tournaments, where 1 bad beat can knock you completely out and winning the whole thing is the goal.

Vetstadium
01-05-2005, 02:47 PM
I just finished a 1 for 19 streak and just part of the game, I WOULD not play 5 plus 1 tourns though the rake is 20% too high if anything have to at least play the 10 plus 1.