PDA

View Full Version : Home NLHE against first time player calling stations...

frank_iii
01-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Hello all. Every so often when I'm back with the family or visiting with my wife's friends we play tournament style NLHE with 6-10 people in on the table. I'm strictly an online limit player but the SSH style of play with adjustments for making bets/raises based on pot size works very well and I rarely don't win or place "in the money". No big deal...

However, this past weekend there were two players with no experience who called down with any one face card in their hand. Correspondingly, they only called down with very strong hands like sets or straights. They both managed to run very hot and the 10 handed table wound up seeing both of them with me (as a moderate chip leader) in the final three.

What types of adjustments (if any) do people make here? After I knocked out the short stack, the stacks looked like:

me: 2500
other: 1500
blinds: 150/300 (as usual, they increased every 15 minutes or so and then seemingly randomly depending on how fast people wanted to leave)

Obviously, the blinds are huge at this point so it felt pretty random. After magically getting KK, but then having it sucked out on, we basically swapped stack sizes.

I think I ended up going out with an A9o vs T6o when her 6 hit the flop.

I don't play these style of games very often and it's not a big deal, but it's a semi-interesting problem to me and, even after a lot of thought, I cannot decide on the "best" way of attacking it. So, it has my mind spinning and I wonder how other people play in this situation.

Thanks!

smoore
01-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Buckle your seatbelt and hold on. I would just put it all in when I thought I had an advantage. It's going to be over soon because the BB in the next round (200/400) is going to be 10% of the total chips on the table.

obeythekitten
01-05-2005, 02:29 PM
your blind structure has issues if they are getting to 150/300 with only 5000 chips total in play....this isnt online play, remember?

....either that or he is genuinely better than you because he was able to hang in there long enough against someone playing too tightly relative to the size of the blinds....because if this guy is a loose player as you say that should be enough to bust him in a manner of a few hands with proper blind stealing

frank_iii
01-05-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
your blind structure has issues if they are getting to 150/300 with only 5000 chips total in play....this isnt online play, remember?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as I said above, in the home games I play the blinds go up quickly and somewhat randomly depending on how quickly people want to leave or begin a new game. Nothing I can do about it. Nobody wants to play 8 hour sessions.

[ QUOTE ]

....either that or he is genuinely better than you because he was able to hang in there long enough against someone playing too tightly relative to the size of the blinds....because if this guy is a loose player as you say that should be enough to bust him in a manner of a few hands with proper blind stealing

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, as I said above, this is new player with no experience that simply calls everything down. There is no blind stealing. Simply going all-in with better starting hands like A9o seems to be the way to go, but it's obviously a gamble. What I'm looking for is a more intelligent way to handle this situation.

I think you may have misread my post.