PDA

View Full Version : A common situation that confuses me.

Fat Nicky
01-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Assume you're at a new table and villain is unknown.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero ????

<font color="blue"> How does everyone handle these situation? </font>

mistrpug
01-05-2005, 12:24 PM
I think a fold is ok since the pot is so small. Calling down can't be right, you're getting like 5-2 on your calls.

I don't know if it's a better option than folding, but raising is almost definitely better than calling. You can fold to a 3-bet, or if he calls, take a free showdown. This costs you as much as calling down does. It gets tricky if he calls your turn raise and bets into you again on the river if you didn't improve.

Fat Nicky
01-05-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a fold is ok since the pot is so small.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my thinking. Anyone else have any opinions???

Grease
01-05-2005, 02:35 PM
The pot is tiny. It's raise or fold. I would lean heavily towards fold. He probably has a king and was afraid you'd check it through (if he's a normal PP Player.) There is no read draw (except for a picked up straight draw from a backdoor one.)

wuarhg
01-05-2005, 02:40 PM
I've seen the PP people do exactly this move with a picked up gutshot/open-ender or flushdraw on the turn. Just some observations, ofcourse you never know if he might have a King. Usually I call these down and take notes on the guy, even if it might be wrong.

cjx
01-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Honestly, I probably call down too often here and get showed a random King or ragged flopped two pair. I think folding here is ok.

cjx

Number4
01-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Fold or raise - don't call. With the pot size, I agree with the others that is most likely a fold situation. If you get 3-bet on the turn, definitely fold and I would check behind unimproved on the river.

Munga30
01-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Your high card is black, call down.

If your high card were red, you fold.

Grendel
01-05-2005, 02:59 PM
I'm also very curious/confused about this behavior and have started taking notes every time I see an opponent do this. My limited observation so far is that the bettor has either
A) been helped by the turn card, or
B) absolutely nothing

This is where the note-taking helps. Plays who do this with absolutely nothing probably do it a lot.

Also, if the board is scary (a 2nd ace hits, for instance), I've found that the bettor is more likely to be bluffing with absolutely nothing. On a seemingly harmless board like this one, the bettor tends to have something.

-Grendel

meep_42
01-05-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your high card is black, call down.

If your high card were red, you fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this a lot.

-d

sfer
01-05-2005, 03:08 PM
I call two bets or bet if checked to on the river and the BB is no longer unknown.

BottlesOf
01-05-2005, 03:08 PM
Read TOP. Some interesting stuff there.

BottlesOf
01-05-2005, 03:10 PM
I don't agree. You could raise, fold to a 3-bet or take the free shodown. However, I think 2 better lines are a) folding, or b) just calling down. The pot IS really small, but it would be nice to have a read on someone.

(Edit: the reason the raise is bad is stated nicely by colgin in this thread)

colgin
01-05-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold or raise - don't call.

[/ QUOTE ]

For those of you advocating raise as a possibility here, what better hands do you think you are going to blow BB off of here? I don't care how much you "represent" AK; BB is not folding K-rag here no matter what. Do you think you have a raise for value here? I would probably fold here but if you think BB might be bluffing often enough here given the pot size then calling down is fine. If he is bluffing then you want him to keep betting into you. Raising may just cause him to fold a worse hand with few to no outs when you are ahead. Another point about raising here. Sure, it's easy to fold to a re-raise but what if BB just calls but then bets a blank on the river.

PokerBob
01-05-2005, 03:18 PM
I think I call the turn, but the pot is very small. Nah, muck it and wait for another spot to get frisky.

colgin
01-05-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I call two bets or bet if checked to on the river and the BB is no longer unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Number4
01-05-2005, 03:34 PM
The more I think about it, the more I lean towards colgin's logic - I think it is just the fact that I don't really like to just call down here.
Ultimately, I would probably fold the turn here.

Sadat X
01-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Very few players are capable of betting the turn if the K didn't help them. It's a close call at Party 3/6, but I lean towards folding in a live game.

For BB this is a spot where reaching for chips is much tougher than just clicking a button.

Luke
01-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Without any read and this being online, I'd just call down.

I wouldn't raise because if he's on a total bluff, he'll fold and you'll miss out on a big bet the times he would have followed through on the river.

The times you are beaten, you'd hate to get 3 bet and fold, especially since you might be drawing live against something like K4, 42, J4, J2 etc.

There's only a little chance he has a draw and is running a semi-bluff because there just aren't that many draws possible. If there were a greater chance for draws, I might opt to raise and then take the free showdown, which can allow me to win the most and lose the least in those spots.

I'd say you're beatern slightly more often than not, but given the pot and the unknown element of Villain, you have to at least call down which is my preferred line.

Luke

Redeye
01-05-2005, 04:08 PM
If that K would've made a four flush possible would you still be against a turn raise? This would possible make enough semibluffable (nice word) draws out there for the villian to be betting. I'm still not convinced it would be often enough to be profitable though since the only time a raise on the turn would be good is if villian is semibluffing.

meep_42
01-05-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Read TOP. Some interesting stuff there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Working on it. Work and the holidays have been hectic, so i've hardly had a chance to get through the first couple chapters.

-d

chief444
01-05-2005, 05:43 PM
I like call/call better than fold. I don't think I'm as convinced as others that you're behind here.

But for reasons pointed out I really hate raising.

Richard Berg
01-05-2005, 09:26 PM
I call/call if there's any draw he could've picked up. Otherwise, I think it's better to let the other 8 people at the table keep him honest while I watch.