PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with a punk?

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 11:59 AM
The wife and I have been married 5 years(2nd time around for both of us).

She has this 15 year old boy who has turned into a punker.
He has the whole look...mohawk, green hair leather and chains. I wont even talk about the attitude because that is a whole other story.

The family had a Christmas get together at a local buffet restaurant and I just wanted to die. The looks and giggling people would make every time this kid went up to the buffet table was embarrassing. I hate been seen in public with him and I will make any excuse to get out of it. Maybe its me...maybe im getting too old.

Am I wrong for feeling this way?

fnord_too
01-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Don't care what the moronic masses think (unless they are acting as a mob, in which case fleeing is probably your best course of action)

Normality is nothing to aspire to.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 12:05 PM
it'll pass, he is just 15.

jcx
01-05-2005, 12:12 PM
You didn't say what your wife's opinion of his current lifestyle is. Does she approve? If not, has she tried to get him to stop looking that way? Some self expression is great, but I wouldn't let my kid look like that. Is he a budding musician? Unless he's the next Iggy Pop, careers for people of his ilk are somewhat limited. So unless it's nipped in the bud, he could be under your roof for a considerable time past the age of majority (Unless you kick his ass out upon his 18th b-day). Good luck.

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do all the punk people dress alike?

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The looks and giggling people would make every time this kid went up to the buffet table was embarrassing

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, it sounds like you need to grow up a bit. I don't get why having people snicker at him would embarass you.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The looks and giggling people would make every time this kid went up to the buffet table was embarrassing

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, it sounds like you need to grow up a bit. I don't get why having people snicker at him would embarass you.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, especially since he isn't your kid. Why not laugh at him to?

fnord_too
01-05-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So a friend of mine is in Berlin once, and there is an anarchist convention going on. A bunch of the anarchists are waiting for the walk sign to come on before crossing a dead street. He looks at them sais something like "This is the only place where anarchist obey trafic signs" and crosses the street. They glare at him, but of course can't follow him because the don't walk sign is still lit.

fnord_too
01-05-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, the punks I knew (know) didn't dress alike and really didn't care what you dressed like. (I mean, I hung out with them in suits before). I guess a lot of kids just pick a subculter and try to fit in there, so point taken.

Lumpy
01-05-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So a friend of mine is in Berlin once, and there is an anarchist convention going on. A bunch of the anarchists are waiting for the walk sign to come on before crossing a dead street. He looks at them sais something like "This is the only place where anarchist obey trafic signs" and crosses the street. They glare at him, but of course can't follow him because the don't walk sign is still lit.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a riot.

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Exactly. You should even be laughing at his mom and tell her how embarassed she should be. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] so the anarchist had a convention?

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly.

ThaSaltCracka
[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. You should even be laughing at his mom and tell her how embarassed she should be. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]LMAO, yeah, sex gone too.

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 12:28 PM
priceless.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-05-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know how old you are or if you have kids, but it's been my experience that most people want to be proud of their kids and this means the world to them. That this is a stepchild may lessen the extent to which he feels this, but I'd want even a redheaded stepchild to be respectable and be someone I can be proud of.

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 12:33 PM
2 kids (one only 6 days old). I am not at the point where my kids are doing things that would embarrass most people, so I guess I can't relate. Although having a two-year-old throw a hissy fit in church isn't a pleasant experience, it isn't one that embarrasses me. I remove him right away because it is disrespectful to those around, but I don't get embarrassed.

Shajen
01-05-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2 kids (one only 6 days old).

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats man.

mmcd
01-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Go with the standard red-headed stepchild line.

IndieMatty
01-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Honestly, nothing, He's 15, he's in a subculture. You could be cool and ask him, if he would ever consider toning it down when you go to family type places. That you would appreciate it as a kind gesture. If he is really engrossed to an alternative group, (and not just a posuer) he will appreciate that. I was a "hardcore kid" and I'd scare the crap out of people when I was in high school...but when my parents had easter or something, I complied and dressed accordingly, because they asked me too.

But really what does it matter?

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Thank you!

SomethingClever
01-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Beat on the brat, beat on the brat, beat on the brat with a baseball bat. Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh ho!

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Jeez, I didnt realize there were so many Dr. Phils's in OOT.

Oh, his mother knows how I feel but she doesnt mind his look. If I came home looking like that at 15...well..I dont even want to think about it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Well congrats on being a new dad again. I'm surprised you are conscious enough to be able to post here - everyone I know who has a new child usually has his head on his desk at work (I'm not quite to having kids yet - maybe 2-3 years still - I'm working on getting my new wife a dog). I guess you're not to the point where your children's actions can be embarassing - everyone expects these things from infants/babies. Can you imagine the joy of your life 10-15 years from now being laughed at when (s)he is seen in public? I'd think that to be much worse than having to take him/her to the crying room at church. You may not have had the teenager experience yet, but I'm sure you (or anyone) can understand that a parent wants nearly nothing else more than to be proud of their children. Maybe some parents would be proud that their mohawked teenager is "not conforming to society", but this isn't the case here.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 12:46 PM
was your kid born on the 31st?

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks.
[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised you are conscious enough to be able to post here - everyone I know who has a new child usually has his head on his desk at work

[/ QUOTE ]
I really should be tired, but I'm just not. I know that it will hit me this weekend, but so far I'm fine. My wife, on the other hand, is pretty damn tired.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess you're not to the point where your childrens' actions can be embarassing - everyone expects these things from infants/babies.

[/ QUOTE ]
My assumption is that everyone expects this sort of thing from teens as well. I know that I do.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe some parents would be proud that their mohawked teenager is "not conforming to society", but this isn't the case here.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's one thing to be proud of their rebellion and quite another to be embarrassed enough by it to not want to be seeen in public with them. There's a lot of room in the middle.

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 12:52 PM
30th --- I guess it depends on how you count 6 days. She's on her 7th day.

Either the 30th or the 31st, she will always be daddy's little tax deduction.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 12:53 PM
oh, close..... congrats btw.

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didnt realize there were so many Dr. Phils's in OOT

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some lines that even I won't cross. The N word is one. The C word is another. Dr. Phil is the third.

VBM
01-05-2005, 01:07 PM
i feel bad for you.

not so much b/c u have to go out w/ him the way he is (come on, everyone has a phase, no?)

more b/c, you don't like him, he doesn't like you, yet you have to have a relationship...you know, you're the older, more mature half of that; maybe you could extend an olive branch and try and find some level of communication...? buy him a studded dog collar or something...i dunno...

Rhone
01-05-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, this was my thought exactly. Who the hell cares? Do you think what someone dresses like when they're 15 really matters? Do you remember high school? Ten years from now he's probably an investment banker in a suit and tie, only thing is he resents you for not supporting him when he was going through completely normal teenage angst.

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Although having a two-year-old throw a hissy fit in church isn't a pleasant experience, it isn't one that embarrasses me. I remove him right away because it is disrespectful to those around, but I don't get embarrassed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Apples and oranges.
Answer this as honestly as you can please.
If your kid came home one day as a punker and you told him you were ok with it, but deep down wouldnt you have wished he was just a straight regular looking kid?

BTW, congrats on the new baby.

AngryCola
01-05-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Now go to your room.

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Now go to your room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come and talk to me when you start raising teenagers. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

AngryCola
01-05-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Come and talk to me when you start raising teenagers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any offspring of mine will surely be an accident. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If your kid came home one day as a punker and you told him you were ok with it, but deep down wouldnt you have wished he was just a straight regular looking kid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and no. I was never into counter-culture, but I had a lot of friends who were. There are some REALLY cool, smart, and talented people who are overlooked because of their appearance. In the best of both worlds, my kids will have that sort of talent/intelligence yet still be able to work within societal norms and standards. However, I recognize that in some cases it takes going against the grain for talent to surface.

jakethebake
01-05-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't care what the moronic masses think (unless they are acting as a mob, in which case fleeing is probably your best course of action)

[/ QUOTE ]
Neither is idiocy.

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Neither is idiocy.

[/ QUOTE ]
How I feel about this does not make me an idiot. Its my opinion. You come in here and type your 3 worded answer and assume you have the world figured out? Get a life you POS!!

PhatTBoll
01-05-2005, 02:40 PM
The Chinpokomon episode of South Park holds the answer.

The quickest and easiest way to stop this kind of stuff is to get into it yourself. Start playing Rancid and Suicide Machines on the living room CD player. Have it nice and loud when he gets home from school. For best results, try to dance to it. Say things at the dinner table like "that John Rotten sure was the bomb in Sex Pistols!" If he asks you what the hell you're doing, tell him you're just trying to "get on his wavelength" or some gay stuff like that. He will ultimately drop punk and find some other way to piss you off.

fnord_too
01-05-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Neither is idiocy.

[/ QUOTE ]
How I feel about this does not make me an idiot. Its my opinion. You come in here and type your 3 worded answer and assume you have the world figured out? Get a life you POS!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I think he was calling me an idiot, not you.

jakethebake
01-05-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Neither is idiocy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to the other guy. The one that actually disagreed with you. I was basically agreeing with you. Before you call someone a POS, make sure you understand their post.

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If that is true...I apologize.

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Sorry Jake.
Touchy subject with me.
This kid is driving me nuts. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

fnord_too
01-05-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Neither is idiocy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to the other guy. The one that actually disagreed with you. I was basically agreeing with you. Before you call someone a POS, make sure you understand their post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't exactly disagreeing with him. He asked what he should do and my oppinion is that he shouldn't care what people who laugh at others because they don't conform to some arbitrary style think.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Neither is idiocy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LMAO, not that Jake wouldn't call you an idiot, given the opportunity.

jakethebake
01-05-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Neither is idiocy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

o.k. I wasn't calling either of you idiots. I was calling people that pierce themselves numerous times, get ridiculous tattoos, have spiked purple mohawks, or anything else that they do because they're insecure and just want someone to look at them. I agree that normal for the sake of normal isn't good, but neither is abnormal for the sake of abnormal.

PoBoy321
01-05-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So that they can all be different... together.

jakethebake
01-05-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LMAO, not that Jake wouldn't call you an idiot, given the opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]
stfu, idiot. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 02:53 PM
This kid pushed me to the limit with his bad attitude. Six months ago I raised my hand out of frustration and he called the cops. Even though my intention was to discipline (I didnt hit him) the cops handcuffed me and I spent the night in jail.

Kids today have far too much power and they know it.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-05-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
o.k. I wasn't calling either of you idiots. I was calling people that pierce themselves numerous times, get ridiculous tattoos, have spiked purple mohawks, or anything else that they do because they're insecure and just want someone to look at them. I agree that normal for the sake of normal isn't good, but neither is abnormal for the sake of abnormal.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the best post so far in this thread.

TimM
01-05-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Six months ago I raised my hand out of frustration and he called the cops. Even though my intention was to discipline (I didnt hit him) the cops handcuffed me and I spent the night in jail.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this possible?

And where was his mother?

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-05-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This kid pushed me to the limit with his bad attitude. Six months ago I raised my hand out of frustration and he called the cops. Even though my intention was to discipline (I didnt hit him) the cops handcuffed me and I spent the night in jail.

[/ QUOTE ]
After this, I'd bring a whole new level of discipline to this kid and he'd know who's the boss. It's become ridiculous both in this instance and in general.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-05-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Six months ago I raised my hand out of frustration and he called the cops. Even though my intention was to discipline (I didnt hit him) the cops handcuffed me and I spent the night in jail.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this possible?

[/ QUOTE ]
For better or for worse, in these (domestic violence) situations, police tend to arrest first and ask questions later.

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Six months ago I raised my hand out of frustration

[/ QUOTE ]

Not cool at all.

[ QUOTE ]
he called the cops

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like he was the one that behaved responsibly.

jakethebake
01-05-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Six months ago I raised my hand out of frustration

[/ QUOTE ]
Not cool at all.
[ QUOTE ]
he called the cops

[/ QUOTE ]
It sounds like he was the one that behaved responsibly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta disagree on this one elwood. Sounds like your a member of the parental peaceniks. Sometimes there's a time & place when nothing else works. I'm not saying beat on them, but some kids need a good kick in the pants sometimes.

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How is this possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

His mother was at work at the time.
The police came over and asked me what happened and I told them the truth. As I raised my hand I said to the kid I was going to kick his ass if he didnt smarten up.

Fvcking cops charged me with uttering a threat. DO YOU BELIEVE IT?

I went to court and they threw it out(I have a clean record). BTW, cheesy lawyer cost me $2000.
/images/graemlins/mad.gif

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 03:06 PM
kid sounds like a d-bag. You should just laugh at him and make sure you tell people he isn't your son.

CCass
01-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Okay, I am going to take this on a slightly different path.

First of all, you and your wife need to agree on any course of action. If she is ok with his dress and how he acts, you are probably going to have to live with it.

If you and your wife can agree that his dress and actions are inappropriate, then things are a lot simpler (at least where I come from they would be). It is your house, and he should be made to comply with your rules.

When my 3 children are teenagers, they will not have a green mohawk, nor will the boys have ear-rings. No body piercings or tattoos either. Once they are on their own, they can do as they please, but they will follow my rules as long as I am paying the bills. This probably sounds harsh, and it may in fact be harsh, but that is the way it will be. They will also have jobs, honest and hard work is a character builder. This is how I was raised, and there were times that I hated it, but it made me who I am today, and I know see the wisdom that my parents had. I will do well if I can follow their example.

I patiently await the forthcoming flames.

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gotta disagree on this one elwood. Sounds like your a member of the parental peaceniks. Sometimes there's a time & place when nothing else works. I'm not saying beat on them, but some kids need a good kick in the pants sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Parental peaceniks...nice.

I want to see effective parenting, and I don't think hitting a 15 year-old absent a real threat or or actual physical violence is effective. It is even worse coming from a step-parent.

If you are trying to teach a lesson, the lessons the kid learned that night are:

1) it isn't too hard to put step-dad on tilt
2) I am the one in control, not step-dad
3) step-dad can't control his emotions
4) acting out works
5) I can now threaten calling the cops any time step-dad tries to discipline me

That is not effective parenting AT ALL.

jakethebake
01-05-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I am going to take this on a slightly different path.

First of all, you and your wife need to agree on any course of action. If she is ok with his dress and how he acts, you are probably going to have to live with it.

If you and your wife can agree that his dress and actions are inappropriate, then things are a lot simpler (at least where I come from they would be). It is your house, and he should be made to comply with your rules.

When my 3 children are teenagers, they will not have a green mohawk, nor will the boys have ear-rings. No body piercings or tattoos either. Once they are on their own, they can do as they please, but they will follow my rules as long as I am paying the bills. This probably sounds harsh, and it may in fact be harsh, but that is the way it will be. They will also have jobs, honest and hard work is a character builder. This is how I was raised, and there were times that I hated it, but it made me who I am today, and I know see the wisdom that my parents had. I will do well if I can follow their example.

I patiently await the forthcoming flames.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would anyone flame that?

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
kid sounds like a d-bag. You should just laugh at him and make sure you tell people he isn't your son.

[/ QUOTE ]
Salt...I didnt want to get into the history of it but I cant take it anymore. If I didnt love my wife as much as I do I would be gone.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 03:10 PM
my parents had the same rules. I would say they are pretty effective in preventing your kids from becoming a jerkoff screw up.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Salt...I didnt want to get into the history of it but I cant take it anymore. If I didnt love my wife as much as I do I would be gone.

[/ QUOTE ]I was just making a joke. Seriously though, step one has to be talking to your ball and chain about this.

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 03:12 PM
No problem with that, good luck. I sincerely hope it works. It is very similar to what I plan with my kids.

The situation presented is very different. Step dad doesn't like the look. Mom is okay with it. Step dad is the one trying to discipline...step dad threatened to hit the kid. This is a recipe for disaster.

jakethebake
01-05-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Parental peaceniks...nice.

I want to see effective parenting, and I don't think hitting a 15 year-old absent a real threat or or actual physical violence is effective. It is even worse coming from a step-parent.

If you are trying to teach a lesson, the lessons the kid learned that night are:

1) it isn't too hard to put step-dad on tilt
2) I am the one in control, not step-dad
3) step-dad can't control his emotions
4) acting out works
5) I can now threaten calling the cops any time step-dad tries to discipline me

That is not effective parenting AT ALL.

[/ QUOTE ]
All good points, and to some extent I agree. And I'm not advocating physical punishment in a fit of anger. And there's a question of whether step-dad has any business punishing the kid at all. But kids do need to learn there are consequences to their actions. Sometimes those consequences are physical ones. Hopefully the kid will act like an ass in public toward a stranger that isn't "handcuffed" like step dad is and he'll learn a lesson. Hopefully he'll learn it w/o getting really hurt.

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Good post CCass. Very much in agreement.

adios
01-05-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

She has this 15 year old boy who has turned into a punker.
He has the whole look...mohawk, green hair leather and chains. I wont even talk about the attitude because that is a whole other story.

The family had a Christmas get together at a local buffet restaurant and I just wanted to die. The looks and giggling people would make every time this kid went up to the buffet table was embarrassing. I hate been seen in public with him and I will make any excuse to get out of it. Maybe its me...maybe im getting too old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think you're wrong to feel the way you do. He's a teenager thus I'm almost certain he's rebelling and the way his rebellion is mannifesting itself isn't all that bad when you look at what it could be. I think you should probably ignore it for the most part including the reactions when you're out in public. Teenagers rebelling is a fairly normal occurrance. You might really shock the hell out of him by being somewhat supportive of him. Haven't read the other post so maybe they said the same thing.

jakethebake
01-05-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The situation presented is very different. Step dad doesn't like the look. Mom is okay with it. Step dad is the one trying to discipline...step dad threatened to hit the kid. This is a recipe for disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it sounded to me like there is much more going on than the way the kid looks?

PoBoy321
01-05-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read in one of his other threads, Zoltri says that he didn't actually hit him, he threatened to.

That being said, I agree that hitting a kid is almost never the right thing to do, not just from the standpoint of "A grown man should never beat up on a 15 year old" but because it just isn't effective discipline. There are books on the subject, so you can look this up, but tests have been done to show that the best form of conditioning isn't giving pain, but removing pleasure. Next time the little bastard acts up, take every TV, computer and stero in the house (except for your own, of course) and lock them up. Tell him to read a [censored] a book.

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully the kid will act like an ass in public toward a stranger that isn't "handcuffed" like step dad is and he'll learn a lesson. Hopefully he'll learn it w/o getting really hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the problem Jake. He doesnt care.

Salt..I know you were joking, I didnt take offense.

TimM
01-05-2005, 03:18 PM
This is nuts.

And women wonder why it's hard to date when they have kids?

If the mother didn't start backing me up quick, I'd be out of there. I probably wouldn't have been in there in the first place though.

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but tests have been done to show that the best form of conditioning isn't giving pain, but removing pleasure

[/ QUOTE ]

ding, ding, ding. I agree 100%.

[ QUOTE ]
Zoltri says that he didn't actually hit him, he threatened to

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. Frankly, that's probably even worse. Now the kid knows that he will make threats that he can't/won't follow through with.

-------------

Look at it from the kid's perspective. Mom is okay with how he is, but Mom's dude (that's how he sees you, not as "dad") isn't. I don't like Mom's dude, so I don't a flying fuc|< what he says/does. It is easy to piss him off and push his buttons and it shows that I'm in control when I can make him lose his temper.

Long story short --- Mom needs to develop a plan. Step-dad can be part of the implementation of the plan, but despite what step-dad thinks you are an outsider to this kid with no right to control the way he looks. By acting how step-dad does, he is making the problem worse, not better because he is effectively having mom choose sides (and she is, by her silence, siding with the kid.)

Paluka
01-05-2005, 03:26 PM
After reading all the posts, it sounds like the kid's attitude is the problem and not his mohawk. If he acted like a great kid, you would probably be able to endure the unwanted attention that his appearance brings on the family. I think that you and your wife need to sit him down and say "look, we don't care how you look. we trust you to make your own fashion decisions. But we need to work on some other things in this family..."

PoBoy321
01-05-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully the kid will act like an ass in public toward a stranger that isn't "handcuffed" like step dad is and he'll learn a lesson.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of a story. When I was 17, during the summer before my senior year of high school, we had a block party on my block. I was hangin out, having a good time with some friends of mine, when around 9 or 10, we went out to meet up with some other friends and just do whatever 17 year old suburban kids do on a Saturday night in the summer (drive somewhere and get stoned). When we got back, it was about 2am and my neighbor was sitting out in the street with a bunch of his friends. I was pretty friendly with this particular neighbor, he owned a web design company and I'd worked for him the summer before. So he sees me and tells me to sit down and have a beer with him and his friends. Now, I'm a sociable guy, and I'd never turn down free beer, so I take a seat and just start talking with him and his friends. They were all about 30 or so, so they were pretty young, so we got along fine. Until I said something to some guy's girlfriend. I don't remember what it was, and I definitely know it wasn't anything off color, I think I just made a joke about something we were talking about. So this guy in his early 30s, who'd been drinking for at least the last 6 hours, leans over to me and says this, "You listen to me, you little punk. You come in here, thinking you're some hotshot 17 year old and you can just start running your mouth, well listen to this. I'm about this close to jumping out of this chair and snapping your [censored] neck. But you're lucky, 'cause I've got self-control. Someday, you'll be somewhere running your mouth like you are right now and you'll run into a guy who doesn't have as much self-control, and he'll [censored] kill you, you hear me?" Meanwhile, my neighbor is sitting 5 feet away from me, listening to all of this and laughing his ass off while I'm about to [censored] myself. Needless to say, I finished my beer and went home as fast as I could.

I think your stepson needs to run into a guy like that. I know I'm glad I did.

fnord_too
01-05-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds much more serious than the original post suggested. I am no psychologist, but you have been married 5 years? And the child is 15? He may just resent you and be acting the way he is to get back at you. I don't know the particulars of the situation, if he is close to his dad he may resent you for replacing his dad, and if not he may resent you for coming between him and his mother.

Maybe you should consider family counseling. It sounds like you really need to clear the air with this kid and come to some resolution. Butting heads will not solve the problem IMO. Neither of you will be able to establish dominance over the other. You could just be apathetic, which would frustrate his efforts to rile you, but that is not good either. You have pretty much accepted him into your family; escalating the situation is bad.

Tough spot. Any hobbies you share? Maybe you can bond by working on a project together (like restoring a car that he will get when he is old enough, and responsible enough, to drive.)

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After reading all the posts, it sounds like the kid's attitude is the problem and not his mohawk. If he acted like a great kid, you would probably be able to endure the unwanted attention that his appearance brings on the family. I think that you and your wife need to sit him down and say "look, we don't care how you look. we trust you to make your own fashion decisions. But we need to work on some other things in this family..."

[/ QUOTE ]
All true. The problem is the wife is too weak and she gives into his demands which adds to my frustration.

Paluka
01-05-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
All true. The problem is the wife is too weak and she gives into his demands which adds to my frustration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well all I can say is that this is a tough situation that a lot of parents face. Don't take the easy way out and blame it on a weird haircut and some music you don't like.

[censored]
01-05-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, nothing, He's 15, he's in a subculture. You could be cool and ask him, if he would ever consider toning it down when you go to family type places. That you would appreciate it as a kind gesture. If he is really engrossed to an alternative group, (and not just a posuer) he will appreciate that. I was a "hardcore kid" and I'd scare the crap out of people when I was in high school...but when my parents had easter or something, I complied and dressed accordingly, because they asked me too.

But really what does it matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great advice as usual Matt.

He's a kid, chances are he will out grow it. Focus on the things that matter like self destructive behaviors and judge him on his character not his outward appearance. Doing so will bring him closer and allow you to have a influence on subjects that are important. Right now you are driving him away and honestly by the tone of your post I would say you may be the one with attitude problem. Remember dude, he's a kid and you are screwing HIS MOM.

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should consider family counseling.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes we tried that. He just sits there and says nothing.
He has everything you can imagine. His mother and I are good providers but he appreciates nothing.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-05-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He has everything you can imagine. His mother and I are good providers but he appreciates nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

gaming_mouse
01-05-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You really shouldn't call her "the wife" (as opposed to "my wife"). It sounds pretty awful and demeaning. I hope you don't make that reference in front of her.

gm

Shajen
01-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Beat his little punk ass, just make sure to unplug all the phones and hide his cell. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

As a punk, he should truly appreciate this method, as it's punk rock AND old school.

In all seriousness, you are in a losing situation it sounds like.

I'm interested in what your wife's response to you spending the night in jail was. Did she take her kid's side or yours? Did she discipline the kid, or did nothing at all occur? She may be feeling guilty at "putting her kid through all the crap during her divorce".

If so...damn man, you're in a tough tough spot.

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Remember dude, he's a kid and you are screwing HIS MOM.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the laugh. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I agree its a little too serious and I probably said too much.

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I sound like a jerk in this thread, but it doesn't sound like you are GOOD providers, it sounds like you are PLENTIFUL providers. There is a world of difference between the two. One is very good and one can be very bad.

elwoodblues
01-05-2005, 03:48 PM
I often call my wife "the warden." Anything wrong with that one? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[censored]
01-05-2005, 03:48 PM
I think there is a big difference between spanking a toddler and a grown man raising his fist and treatening to hit a 15 year kid. That sounds like a fight not parenting and I honestly don't see why it was thrown out. I don't think marrying his mom gives you that right over him. Especially in light of the fact that you obviously don't love him and would in no way be acting out of a desire to help him but instead out of anger to make yourself feel better. My dad didn't spare the rod but I never doubted for a second that he loved me and that he didn't enjoy doing.

I support his calling the police here 100%.

Honestly dude look at how you talk about him, why should he give a [censored] what you think? Because your 30?

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-05-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I sound like a jerk in this thread, but it doesn't sound like you are GOOD providers, it sounds like you are PLENTIFUL providers. There is a world of difference between the two. One is very good and one can be very bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's no better way to 'ruin' a kid than to overprovide. Unfortunately, it's very common lately.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-05-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I often call my wife "the warden." Anything wrong with that one? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I favor calling mine "my old lady". It has a nice edge/cheesiness to it. She's also a big fan.

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 03:50 PM
elwoodblues...No you are not a jerk but I hope for your sake your kids dont turn into little demons when they hit puberty.

[censored]
01-05-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds much more serious than the original post suggested. I am no psychologist, but you have been married 5 years? And the child is 15? He may just resent you and be acting the way he is to get back at you. I don't know the particulars of the situation, if he is close to his dad he may resent you for replacing his dad, and if not he may resent you for coming between him and his mother.

Maybe you should consider family counseling. It sounds like you really need to clear the air with this kid and come to some resolution. Butting heads will not solve the problem IMO. Neither of you will be able to establish dominance over the other. You could just be apathetic, which would frustrate his efforts to rile you, but that is not good either. You have pretty much accepted him into your family; escalating the situation is bad.

Tough spot. Any hobbies you share? Maybe you can bond by working on a project together (like restoring a car that he will get when he is old enough, and responsible enough, to drive.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent advice. especially the part of establishing dominance over the other which is what is going on here. You need to approach this from a different angle.

craig r
01-05-2005, 04:47 PM
You can tell him that his style is almost 25 years old and that most of the bands and groups that dressed that way are probably your age now. Then ask him if he really wants to dress like Good Charlotte? Those guys make me want to deny that I ever listened to Minor Threat, because people might mutter the word, "punk rock" in the same sentence as those tools. Oh, and if your step-son is truly punk rock, you will be able to convince him that clothes and hair style don't mean shite.

craig

craig r
01-05-2005, 04:51 PM
I am not saying that you should ever threaten to hit someone, but what is a "punk" doing calling the cops over a possible smack. You should now beat him for being a sell out.

craig

Easy E
01-05-2005, 05:11 PM
About the looks? Yes, get over it- it probably doesn't help his attitude that yours is obviously affected (consider it fighting tilt, if you need motivation)

His presumed attitude? Go to work on that

Philuva
01-05-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You may not have had the teenager experience yet, but I'm sure you (or anyone) can understand that a parent wants nearly nothing else more than to be proud of their children.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't you be proud of your kid regardless of how/she conforms to the rest of society? I seriously think the original poster needs to focus on behavorial issues rather than what his hair or clothes look like.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-05-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You may not have had the teenager experience yet, but I'm sure you (or anyone) can understand that a parent wants nearly nothing else more than to be proud of their children.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't you be proud of your kid regardless of how/she conforms to the rest of society? I seriously think the original poster needs to focus on behavorial issues rather than what his hair or clothes look like.

[/ QUOTE ]
You sure can, but it also doesn't help if the kid looks like a fool and is getting snickered at everywhere he goes. No parent wants that for his/her kid.

tripdad
01-05-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2 kids (one only 6 days old). I am not at the point where my kids are doing things that would embarrass most people, so I guess I can't relate. Although having a two-year-old throw a hissy fit in church isn't a pleasant experience, it isn't one that embarrasses me. I remove him right away because it is disrespectful to those around, but I don't get embarrassed.

[/ QUOTE ]

congratulations on the newbie!

whenever a child cries in our church, our priest says that we are hearing the voices of angels. it's kinda cool, because it really eases all the fuddy duddies up a bit, and makes us feel more comfortable.

hissy fits...now, that's a different story. i don't care if the priest likes it or not, it's go time.

cheers!

Duke
01-05-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Although having a two-year-old throw a hissy fit in church isn't a pleasant experience, it isn't one that embarrasses me. I remove him right away because it is disrespectful to those around, but I don't get embarrassed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the 2 year old is pretty smart.

~D

thatpfunk
01-05-2005, 09:31 PM
How does he do in school? What are his interests? Does he do drugs or drink? Those are more relevant questions. He may look ridiculous, but as long as nothing is permanent...

If he is doing good in school, no drugs, etc then I think you kinda have to let this slide.

If you need to discipline him, take away the good stuff. When I was in high school I got into trouble 3 times for drinking. After each time it was a month without being able to leave the house. No internet, no phone, no purchases, no skateboarding, no beach, no friends. The only things I knew were school, work, home. When this happens its amazing you start to look forward to work and school.

If you lay down the law, not much a kid can actually do. Speak to Mom about this, and if he's slipping in other areas, go for it. If not, ease up a bit, just keep a close eye on him.

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 09:40 PM
He's failing school and he smokes pot.
We are talking a real problem child here folks. Believe me when I say he pushed me to the brink because his mother and I have tried everything.

I keep telling myself 5 more years. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

mmcd
01-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Next time you catch him smoking pot, just call the cops on him. If nothing else, it will pay him back for that stunt that landed you in jail for a night.

Maybe wait until he turns 16 to do this, so he can spend some quality time with whoever else happens to be in jail at the time. I'm sure they'll love his mohawk.

cnfuzzd
01-05-2005, 09:45 PM
[censored] the little brat. send him to military school. Or at least tell him he has six months to straighten up or he is shipped off.

Remember, this isnt your kid. You didnt create this problem. You are dealing with the consequences of someone elses mistakes.

peace

john nickle

craig r
01-05-2005, 09:49 PM
First off, jail is not like that. The cops are worse than the inmates. And I went to what is considered a pretty tough jail (harris county in houston).

Second, when a minor gets in trouble the parents have to pay the fine. So, calling the cops will only hurt Zoltri and will probably make the kid even more distrustful.

craig

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 09:52 PM
why don't you talk to him and find out what his problem is?

mmcd
01-05-2005, 10:01 PM
I've never been to jail myself, but I find it hard to believe a 16 y.o. kid with a mohawk and an attitude wouldn't catch a beating.

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Salt, we have talked to him, grounded him, talked to his teachers, took him for counselling...the list goes on.

He is just a rebellious kid.
I had a bad thought the other day. I was driving along and from no where popped in my head he came in our bedroom one night and killed us.

Fvcking unreal.

TimM
01-05-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why don't you talk to him and find out what his problem is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not having a father around at age 10 might be a start.

When my parents split I was 13 and my brother was 9, and we went through the whole stepdad and stepmom thing as well.

He went through his little acting out period too over the next few years - maybe not quite as extreme. He grew out of it eventually.

craig r
01-05-2005, 10:08 PM
I don't think a 16 year old kid goes to jail. In texas you have to be 17 to go to jail. and in california 18. i don't know what the law in other states are.

Also, there is nothing that Zoltri has posted that has made me think that the kid has an attitude towards everybody. it is probably to people in authority.

But, for the sake of argument lets say that he does go to jail, gives an attitude, and then gets beat up. What will that teach him?

I think TSC's approach is a good start.

craig

craig r
01-05-2005, 10:09 PM
just because he is rebellious does not make him a sociopath. i was pretty "bad" as a kid. but, i would never hurt anybody physically.

craig

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not having a father around at age 10 might be a start.

[/ QUOTE ]
I should point out his father and us alternate weeks with the kid.
But his father is a pussy and wont do [censored].

Philuva
01-05-2005, 10:18 PM
I was a skater punk in junior high. I am sure I looked like a fool to a lot of people in my community and maybe snickered at behind my back, but my parents were always proud of me and never asked me to change, only encouraged me to be myself.

[censored]
01-05-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's failing school and he smokes pot.
We are talking a real problem child here folks. Believe me when I say he pushed me to the brink because his mother and I have tried everything.

I keep telling myself 5 more years. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This affects my previous statements.

microbet
01-05-2005, 10:22 PM
He's been your stepson for 5 years and you just say 'my wife has this kid'.

If that is as far as your relationship goes it shouldn't be too embarrasing.

TimM
01-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Where does he get the money for pot, punk clothes and accessories, etc.?

I'd cut off everything but the bare necessities. Cut off the cash flow (on both sides) and if he wants things, he will have to figure out how to get them for himself, and maybe learn some responsibility along the way.

mmcd
01-05-2005, 10:24 PM
But, for the sake of argument lets say that he does go to jail, gives an attitude, and then gets beat up. What will that teach him?

I'm probably in the minority on this issue in this day and age, but I think in certain situations a good beating has a better chance of straightening out a punk kid than a heart to heart talk.

[censored]
01-05-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[censored] the little brat. send him to military school. Or at least tell him he has six months to straighten up or he is shipped off.

Remember, this isnt your kid. You didnt create this problem. You are dealing with the consequences of someone elses mistakes.

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were talking to me for a second.

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably in the minority on this issue in this day and age, but I think in certain situations a good beating has a better chance of straightening out a punk kid than a heart to heart talk.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would do this in a heartbeat if I could.

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 10:39 PM
I'm sure most of our fathers wouldnt put up with this crap. My father hit me once when I was 13 and I will never forget it. Straightened me right out. To this day, I have the utmost respect and admiration for the man.

B Dids
01-06-2005, 12:05 AM
I don't care to read this whole thread- but I'll say one thing based on what I have read.

The issue isn't how the kid dresses, it's how he acts. Focusing on superficial meaningless crap like that is silly. There's plenty of preppy 15 year olds with attitude problems. It isn't his being a "punk" that's an issue. It's his being a kid. People can be HORRIBLE at that age, but overreacting to the way he dresses isn't the least bit productive to getting through to him.

craig r
01-06-2005, 12:55 AM
Yeah, when the police beat me up (see "jail" thread) I learned a lot. And when skinheads beat me up, I also learned a lot. But, probably not the lessons you are talking about. Unless this lesson is that violence is generally the worst option (if an option at all).

craig

eric5148
01-06-2005, 05:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My father hit me once when I was 13 and I will never forget it. Straightened me right out.

[/ QUOTE ]

That type of discipline only works when a child has a father for his whole life, and learned the meaning of rules and discipline at a young age. You came into this kids life 5 years ago, he had a wus for a dad, and you don't seem to give a crap either. Discipline won't work because he doesn't care how anything makes you feel. You loved your dad, and you were affected by his actions. This kid has no reason to care about you at all. In fact, he has many reasons to dislike you even without the threat you made.

You said you had a daydream about him killing you? If I was 15 and my stepdad treated me the way you treat him I would've already killed you. You're lucky he only called the cops when you threatened to hit him. I vividly remember how angry and irrational I was at 15, and I know I was capable of killing my parents.

This kid has never had a consistent father figure, which is a biological necessity. There's nothing anyone can do now to fix that. Your goal is to make him a decent person, not to show other people that you're a good parent.

All I know is, you have to make more of an effort. If you care about him, you need to convince him that you do. At least apologize for raising your fist.

Professional help may be the only way to go here (not family counseling, private therapy for the kid). My parents took me to three different therapists. Each for one session. Then they used that as an excuse to say that it didn't work. That doesn't do anything. I really think if they forced me to go to one therapist for a proper amount of time (this means six months at least) I would have started talking and worked out a lot of $hit.

If you really don't care about him, than you have nothing to complain about and you deserve his lashing out.

I hope you can find a solution. I don't have kids and can only imagine the awkward and frustrating situation you're in.

Hack
01-06-2005, 05:49 AM
I like neglect. I think it's underrated in this case. He's not your kid after all, and he sounds like a real douchebag. If he does stuff like you've said he's done in this thread then I say just ignore him, unless your wife gets on your case about it.

I can't really comment on a 15 year old because I have a 6 year old myself, and he doesn't really act up.

I just let him do whatever he wants, within reason. He stays up with me till 2 in the morning sometimes(on weekends) watching South Park marathons. He's a very smart dude.

I would never hit my kid though. My parents spanked me and I resolved that I would never hit Jamie.

If my kid starts acting up and rebelling when he gets to that age then I like the silent treatment and ignoring him.

zephed56
01-06-2005, 06:27 AM
Why won't your wife help you? I'm assuming she's hurting the situation because she's loose-passive.

Reef
01-06-2005, 06:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
..your wife help you? I'm assuming she's hurting the situation because she's loose..

[/ QUOTE ]

you calling his wife a ho?

daveymck
01-06-2005, 06:40 AM
The thing I dont understand is why when we become parents we seem to forget all about our own thoughts and feelings when we were kids.

At 15 you are going to be angry, probably be experimenting with drink, smoking and whatever else looking to have sex etc. If a parent or other adult is having a go at you are you more likely to say oh you are right I will be a good boy or more likely to get angrier and maybe even push the bad behaviour even further.

I havent read the whole thread but my advice would be for you and his mum to withdraw a bit and let him get on with it, be supportive rather than confrontational, he is rebelling trying to find himself and be independant let him do that, let him clear his mind without the pressure of you getting to him.

I have been a stepdad for 5 years as well (eldest is now 12) when I first moved in I was really tough and far too strict, more recently I have calmed a bit and am acting more like a friend to them, there is still the strictness behind it they know whats expected of them behaviour wise but as a relationship I am getting on a lot better particulary with my stepson, going to football matches and fishing and him actually wanting to spend time with me.

The punk thing would not bother me I was into metal at that age and there is nothing wrong with it, in my time I found punks and bikers some of the nicest people you could ever hang out with even if there is an edge to them.

Hopefully over the years he has had good morals instilled in him and his rebellion will not last and he will come to his senses, now is not the time to try and instill this, he wants to be an adult let him get on with it, if he gets into trouble with the police etc it might be the thing that calms him down and brings him back to you especially if the confrontation at home has stopped.

Drunk Bob
01-06-2005, 06:58 AM
Punch the gigglers in the nose,if you you love(like) your stepson

daveymck
01-06-2005, 06:59 AM
Having read the thread I still stick by what I wrote, however I found it amusing the people saying my kids wont do this this and this, not under my roof etc etc.

My dad was exactly like that, but once you hit 14-16 it doesnt matter you do what you want, parents are just a barrier to stop you from doing what you want but at the end of the day they will do it, in secret if they have too, being deceitful lying pretending to be at friends etc is all part of it, as I say we seem to forget how we were at that age.

As I say my dad was pretty strict ut my sister still ended up coming home pregnant at 17, however with the good upbringing we had all three of us kids (now all 30 somthing adults) are doing pretty well and coping with life and thats the legacy parents shoud aspire too, getting kids into a good moral mindset to cope with life but that is not instilled at the rebellion stage its there before that and comes back in later life.

Hack
01-06-2005, 07:45 AM
I think you meant to address this, but I agree with most of what you said.

I spoil my kid too much, I admit it. But it's only because I had it tough as a kid and I don't want him to have it tough.

daveymck
01-06-2005, 08:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you meant to address this, but I agree with most of what you said.

I spoil my kid too much, I admit it. But it's only because I had it tough as a kid and I don't want him to have it tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Child and the stepkids are spoilt, at times they dont appreciate it, but we still try and instill the hardworking ethics and moral responsibility that goes behind it.

My stepson is 12 and so far is not in trouble at school or particulary rebellious but I am sure that will come thats the most trying time as a parent.

But I am not a perfect parent and I dont have perfect kids but we will see in 10-15 years if we have been successful, but I try and be the parent I wanted not the parent my parents were if that makes sense, too many people become their parents and make all the aame mistakes they did.

Skjonne
01-06-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Next time you catch him smoking pot, just call the cops on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that. I seriously do. TSC asked why you didn't talk to him, but I don't see that working. These bastards only understand one language.

Afraid your wife will give you a hard time for turning him in? Well the Chicken Haired Guy did it to you didn't he?

When he gets out of jail the next morning, threaten do beat him if he ever messes with you again. If he calls the cops, deny and turn him in for smoking pot again.

bunky9590
01-06-2005, 10:15 AM
I dont know what you can do with him, but this is the kind of kid we used to make him fork over his lunch money at school so we wouldn't kick his ass every day for looking like such a tool. He needs peer pressure to get him straighted out, noithing worse than the other kids making fun of you to get you to straighten out.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-06-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
noithing worse than the other kids making fun of you to get you to straighten out.

[/ QUOTE ]
...or at least know where the local gunshop is.

bunky9590
01-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Yeah times are a little different now. But 20 years ago nothing like a lot of embarassment to make you straighten up and fly right.

One kid thought he was a rock star and came in with eyeliner and mascara on like Mr. Glam Rock.

He never lived that one down. I think he still cringes when he sees makeup commercials.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-06-2005, 12:48 PM
That's the problem now. Kids can't be kept straight like they used to be able to. What ever happened to the good old days when the seniors could keep the freshmen in line? Now kids are so [censored] up you either get the PC police in there telling everyone to play nice and no contact sports or you have to worry about these jacked up kids opening up their arsenal on their classmates.

Zoltri
01-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Geez, when I started this thread yesterday I would have never imagined a flame beside it.

Thanks for your feedback.