PDA

View Full Version : raising w 2nd best hand

mumpsman
01-05-2005, 11:21 AM
I've been consciously trying to be more aware of opportunities to thin the field with a large pot and 2nd best hand. In a very loose game I'm utg with JJ. I raised, mid position reraises and the button caps. both blinds fold. Flop comes A 10 3 rainbow. all check to the button who bets. Is this a situation where I should be attempting to thin the field with a check raise? I've got to believe that the button has either A-big or KK or QQ. I'd have only 2 outs with my JJ.... thoughts?

What if I had AJ and the flop was K J 3 with the same betting (not that I'd automatically play AJ utg but just for sake of argument)

Thanks

BarronVangorToth
01-05-2005, 11:57 AM
This is absolutely an opportunity to raise...

Say you're up against QQ and KK ... the raise will get them on guard and firing at the turn will oftentimes get a fold.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

meow_meow
01-05-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is absolutely an opportunity to raise...

Say you're up against QQ and KK ... the raise will get them on guard and firing at the turn will oftentimes get a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, lets see - say capper has AA-QQ or AK, so 48% of the time he holds KK or QQ with this flop. How often is a check-raise / bet out the turn going to fold him? Maybe half the time if you are lucky. I think the CR is worthwhile only if you are willing to fold to a reraise on the flop or a raise on the turn. If he calls and calls the turn, what's your river plan? You probably can't win at that point, but pretty difficult to check-fold getting 11:1.

Also, if you expand capper's range of hands to include AQ, TT, and maybe AJ, you're in deeper trouble still.

rdavey
01-10-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been consciously trying to be more aware of opportunities to thin the field with a large pot and 2nd best hand. In a very loose game I'm utg with JJ. I raised, mid position reraises and the button caps. both blinds fold. Flop comes A 10 3 rainbow. all check to the button who bets. Is this a situation where I should be attempting to thin the field with a check raise? I've got to believe that the button has either A-big or KK or QQ. I'd have only 2 outs with my JJ.... thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise. But if both call, you may then need to check-fold.