PDA

View Full Version : TT Overpair Hand Originally Played For Set Value

Unarmed
01-05-2005, 10:31 AM
2nd or 3rd hand of a Stars 10+1
TT in SB, MP raises 4xBB, I am the only caller.

Flop comes 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I HATE situations like this, mostly because I'm not real comfortable changing the flow of the hand. (i.e.: if I take the lead PF with a big hand, I keep it on the flop.) In this case, I have no idea where I'm at because I already gave up the lead PF.

Anyway, my choices are:

Check. Also known as giving up as I'm folding when he bets anything, (as he should) including hands I have smashed. This seems terribly weak, but not necessarily a bad move. Certainly the safer alternative. A C/R is out of the question here I would think as its basically a bluff. (any hand that calls/reraises has me crushed)

Bet. Of course I'm folding to a reraise from JJ up. That's not a problem. Also, if I add just one hand (AQ) to villain's range of MP open raising hands, (JJ up and AK assumed) its more likely that I'm actually ahead here anyway. So it seems like betting is the best option.

Unfortunately, I'll get called by AK/AQ/AJ here a ton of times at the $10 buyin. This is the situation I dread here. So if betting is the correct line, what is the correct move on the turn assuming you get called? An ace is an auto check fold I would think. King down I'll probably bet it as I have no idea if I'm up against AK/AQ/AJ. A blank is an auto bet? Or am I in check/call mode after the flop hoping not to be shown JJ?

These hands come up all the time, and I check/folded this one, more because I wasn't comfortable with it than anything else. I'm sure there's a better line.

Also, just to confirm:
If he is BB and I am MP, and I limp and call his raise PF. I'm pretty sure the correct line is:

He checks, I take it down.
He bets, I fold.
He check/calls and bets the turn, I'm out.
He check/calls and checks the turn I bet if no ace falls.
If the turn is called I'm done with the hand.

Thanks, sorry for the long post.

Unarmed
01-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Anyone? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Too general? If so assume equal stacks of 1500, no read on villain, (assume typical $10 quality) he has no read on me. Its early on so no one has busted yet.

Thanks.

Awesemo
01-05-2005, 06:43 PM
I'd probably bet about half the pot. If he raises you put him on a set or overpair and you fold. If he calls, you put him on AQ or AK and proceed from there.

adanthar
01-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Check/folding by default is very weak. If you do check, a lot depends on his bet size on the flop - any bet smaller than 1/2 the pot or so should be a checkraise for you, bigger and you can think about it.

Betting the turn if you bet and get called does obviously depend on the turn card.

oscar057
01-05-2005, 09:46 PM
I think you should have to bet out strong (3/4 pot). You are likely ahead and you don't want to see an over card. If you were only playing for set value you picked a bad time to call. As the only caller, you are not getting proper odds to hit a set. It would have been ok to limp or call a mini raise.

Paragon
01-05-2005, 11:00 PM
I think TT is the most difficult hand for me to play (in NL and in limit), but to start off, calling a 4x bb raise heads up -only- for set value is already a mistake in my mind. Sure, better overpair is possible, and you shouldn't feel automatically committed when undercards flop, but if you're going to play at all have an aggressive mindset. Along those lines, I like a strong 3/4 pot bet or more on this flop against typical players.

That said, if you really respect this person's pre flop raise, a trickier possibility is to check, call, and lead out the turn. Your hand is vulnerable - about half the deck is scary - but if you can safely survive to the turn and bet out, it should put even a wild $10 sng player with AK unimproved to the test. Getting a massive re-raise here will be a more believable sign that you're beat, but you might also slow some better hands down and see the results for cheap.

stanky
01-06-2005, 12:27 AM
fold preflop, 10's are like pocket 2's this early in a SNG /images/graemlins/grin.gif only call for set value when other people have called ahead of you.

-Pete