PDA

View Full Version : Should I call this All In ?

Jonny1723
01-05-2005, 07:48 AM
This was a $2 Single Table Tournament, First Hand. (Blinds 10/20)

Bet365 Tournament (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif .
UTG Calls, UTG+1 Calls, UTG+2 Folds, MP1 Calls, MP2 Calls, MP3 Calls, LP Calls, CO Calls, SB Calls, Hero Calls.

Flop: (180 Chips) 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (9 players)
SB Bets 20, Hero Raises 160, UTG+1 Folds, MP1 Raises to 980 (All In), MP2 Folds, MP3 Folds, LP Folds, CO Folds, SB Folds, Hero Calls (All In).

[When MP1 Raised me all in, I thought AA unlikely due to no preflop raise, although he may have been limping and spiked his set. However, I actually thought he may have had A6 for a flopped two pair].

Turn: (2160 Chips) 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 players)

River: (2160 Chips) 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players)

My question is, should I have called the All in on the first hand with my set ?

Cheers

J.

Al Mirpuri
01-05-2005, 08:12 AM
Definitely yes. If he is on a flush draw then you are a good favorite. In fact, you are only in bad shape if he has AA and we have already discounted that. So yes. If he was on the flush draw then it gets home in this example but you were the mathematical favorite by a lot so do not worry about the result.

SuitedSixes
01-05-2005, 08:24 AM
Call! Chalk any loss up to bad luck. I especially liked how you thought about why there wouldn't be an AA. Too many people see "SET" and go for it, only seeing the other set in hind-sight.

Mystic
01-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Fold and wait for a better opportunity. You should know that the flush is going to hit AND the board won't pair. Until you can accurately predict the turn and river you will remain a below average player.

Some of these posts are ridiculous. Seriously what on Earth do you expect to hear?

Mystic

Jonny1723
01-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Thank for all your responses.

I actually did call the all in, and the villian turned over A /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the rivered flush. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I thought I made the correct play at the time, so wasn't too disappointed despite leaving in 10th place.

However, I then began to question myself and wondered whether I should have waited.

After posting though, I now feel I did make the correct play and ti was one of the hands that "you sometimes lose no matter what"

Thanks.

J.