PDA

View Full Version : Players pledge $1,000 per point to UNICEF

ronzoni
01-05-2005, 05:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, Jermaine O'Neal and four other NBA players have promised to donate $1,000 for every point they score in a game later this week to help victims of the Indian Ocean tsunami.

Bob Sura of the Houston Rockets, Jalen Rose of the Toronto Raptors, and Pau Gasol and Mike Miller of the Memphis Grizzlies also are taking part in the $1,000-per-point donations, which will be made to UNICEF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Associated Press (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1959163)

http://www.covers.com/images/emoticons/an_clap.gif

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 11:58 AM
yeah basketball players!

nolanfan34
01-05-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bob Sura of the Houston Rockets

[/ QUOTE ]

What's $1000 x 0? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

nothumb
01-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Look, as long as we don't let Kobe near any half-drowned schoolgirls, and McGrady doesn't have to guard anything, this is a good idea. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, you wish they played more stories like this, maybe everyone wouldn't hate the NBA for being full of rich black guys so much.

Nah...

NT

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 12:04 PM
doesn't Sura average like close to 10 a game?

namknils
01-05-2005, 12:07 PM
I think Michael Schumacher (sp?) donated $10,000,000 to the effort.

HDPM
01-05-2005, 12:09 PM
Giving to UNICEF is a very bad thing. These players should be ashamed. There is no worse charity. I am still angry my elementary school had us collect for UNICEF in the years they were funding Pol Pot. Yet another reason to hate the NBA. Too bad the players didn't give the money for tsunami relief. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nolanfan34
01-05-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
doesn't Sura average like close to 10 a game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I'm just joking. It's just funny seeing his name with the rest of those players. I think it's nice that they're doing it though.

gcoutu
01-05-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Giving to UNICEF is a very bad thing. These players should be ashamed. There is no worse charity. I am still angry my elementary school had us collect for UNICEF in the years they were funding Pol Pot. Yet another reason to hate the NBA. Too bad the players didn't give the money for tsunami relief. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside from that, how much did Kobe spend on that ring for his wife? Like 5 million or something? So, he is going to give 35K? Don't get me wrong, its better than nothing but cmon. He could really use some good PR and if he were to drop like 100K or so that would look much better.

I mean wtf are people like him (worth 100 Million and more) gonna do with all that damn money anyways? Whatever, good for them but I think they are being cheap, but as Sprewell said "I got to feed my family"

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 12:47 PM
its their money man, they shouldn't be forced by public opinion to do anything with it.

namknils
01-05-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its their money man, they shouldn't be forced by public opinion to do anything with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're right, but what gcoutu said reminds me of something. I saw on some VH1 "fabulous life" show that they were tlaking about how incredibly gererous Giselle was and that she gave away 5% of her income, or $50,000 (!!gasp!!) a year. They think they are so freaking special for doing it, but I give away a minimum of 10% every year. I don't think that makes me special, I'm sure there are others that nobody has every heard of that give a lot more of their time/money.

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure there are others that nobody has every heard of that give a lot more of their time/money.

[/ QUOTE ] of course, and thats commendable, but people shouldn't be forced or compelled by the public to donate. IMO, some is better than none.

namknils
01-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Of course, but don't you think they are trying to get noticed by doing this? Because of course they are. They could have just giving some insane amount of money without telling anybody, but instead they make it a public spectical and say "Look at me, Look at me, I'm giving a insignificant amount of money to charity, and you should love me for it!"

ThaSaltCracka
01-05-2005, 01:29 PM
yeah of course they are, but people love this type of stuff. Its like Babe Ruth visiting some kid in a hospital and saying he'll hit a HR for him.

mmbt0ne
01-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Here's hoping Jermaine drops 55 again.