PDA

View Full Version : Did I flubber this one? What do you put opponent on?

Garland
01-05-2005, 03:53 AM
Main opponent stats:

172 hands, VP$IP = 47.73, Preflop Raise % = 9.88, Aggression factor: .72 overall. It appears most of his aggression comes on the flop and eases up on the turn and lets up on the river.

Garland

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 ($231.50)
UTG+2 ($28.50)
MP1 ($93)
MP2 ($34.50)
MP3 ($60)
CO ($67.50)
Button ($73.50)
SB ($123)
Garland ($213.50)
UTG ($177)

Preflop: Garland is BB with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Garland calls $2.

Flop: ($9) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Garland checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Garland raises to $8</font>, Button calls $6.

Turn: ($25) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Garland checks, Button checks.

River: ($25) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Garland bets $15...</font>

mythrilfox
01-05-2005, 04:25 AM
Min-raise from the button? Min-bet on the flop? Gawd, it's hard to peg him on a hand unless you've observed his betting amounts closely. Does he always min-bet like this? He could have as little as AK or as much as AQ. It's hard to tell without any further action.

I don't see any point in a turn check-raise though, as you said he tends to let up by that point. You could, of course, be trying to let him catch up, which he may have done on the river with something like QJ or AJ, but if you truly want *value* out of the hand I suggest you play it a little more aggressively. Either lead the flop or lead the turn.

soah
01-05-2005, 04:29 AM
Why did you check the turn? Were you afraid his min bet and the subsequent call meant he might have QQ? Your opponent here is short-stacked here so I'd try to get his entire stack in. Bet $15-20 on the turn and push the river. If he somehow does have you beaten he's probably going to get his stack in anyway and I can't imagine folding a full house heads up. So I worry about how to win the most all of the times that I'm ahead. With a decent queen he'll have a hard time getting away.

Garland
01-05-2005, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Were you afraid his min bet and the subsequent call meant he might have QQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this was definitely not a concern. His mini-raise and actions post-flop were inconsistent with a QQ hand, and besides, he's short-stacked. My only thought was: How do I get the remainder of his stack with my full house?

Garland

soah
01-05-2005, 05:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My only thought was: How do I get the remainder of his stack with my full house?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your actions in the hand seem to conflict with your intentions. =( I mean, you check-raised a passive opponent on the flop, and then check the turn to him? He's checking behind you most of the time. Just bet the turn and if he has a pair he won't be able to get away from it.

JaBlue
01-05-2005, 05:14 AM
What is with the check-raise flop check turn? I think the turn check is horrible. Bet 15$ on the turn and give yourself a chance to win a good-sized pot.

DBowling
01-05-2005, 05:50 AM
looks good to me, though knowing he eases up on the turn, you may have wanted to fire youre $15 bet then, and then fire a $40-50 bet on the river.

Skjonne
01-05-2005, 06:15 AM
I don't put him on anything. He probably doesn't have sh*t. Even though he hasn't got a history of aggresion on the river, I could be tempted to check the river. I don't think he'll call anything, so I'll try to induce a bluff.

theredpill
01-05-2005, 06:51 AM
I do. He's got J K . He hit his straight on the turn. Am I right ?

ericlambi
01-05-2005, 11:51 AM
I probably would have bet smaller on the river. UB players are TOO TIGHT, they won't call that bet without an extremely good hand. I'd bet $5-10 . . . it's small enough they'll call with about any piece of it, and the beauty of it is that they might even decide you're stealing the pot and re-raise you (wishful thinking I know).

Edit:
I agree with others that betting the turn is smart. Not to much to get the flush draw to fold. If that's what he's on, you won't get anything out of him if it doesn't hit.

Kaz The Original
01-05-2005, 12:36 PM
By checking the turn hero looks like he's semi bluffing clubs on the flop. I like it.

Garland
01-05-2005, 11:31 PM
My thoughts:

I found it interesting that my opponent called my check-raise, which in my mind screams 9. So I put my opponent on a small chance of a Q, a small chance of a club draw, a small chance of JT and a very good chance of a 9 himself. For some reason, however improbable, I thought he had the case 9.

So going on the premise that he has a good hand, I elected to trap with my lucky turned boat hoping he'd bet.

He did not fall for it, and the river provided a scare for my opponent. I guess he didn't have the J for he would probably raise, but he did have A/images/graemlins/heart.gif9/images/graemlins/heart.gif and called the final river bet.

I think I should bet the turn in case he has a flush or straight draw. I went against my philosophy of charging my opponents for drawing dead. He would definitely play with all the above hands I put him on. The river provided the action killing card as I'm sure my opponent was trying to trap me on the river with his trip 9s with the nut kicker.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Garland

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+1 ($231.50)
UTG+2 ($28.50)
MP1 ($93)
MP2 ($34.50)
MP3 ($60)
CO ($67.50)
<font color="#C00000">Button ($73.50)</font>
SB ($123)
<font color="#C00000">Garland ($213.50)</font>
UTG ($177)

Preflop: Garland is BB with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Garland calls $2.

Flop: ($9) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Garland checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Garland raises to $8</font>, Button calls $6.

Turn: ($25) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Garland checks, Button checks.

River: ($25) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Garland bets $15</font>, Button calls $15.

Final Pot: $55
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: $55, between Button and Garland.</font> &gt; Pot won by Garland ($55).

Results below:
Button has Ah 9d (three of a kind, nines).
Garland has Th 9h (full house, nines full of tens).
Outcome: Garland wins $55.