PDA

View Full Version : Flopped set to a large pot . . . what to do?

ericlambi
01-05-2005, 02:37 AM
I'm playing $1-2 NL on UltimateBet. For those who don't know anything about UltimateBet, the players are extremely tight compared to PP, etc. At this table, most players had been suprisingly aggressive pre-flop, but were very weak-tight post-flop when they missed. Chip stacks are pretty healthy for most players, so after UTG called the pre-flop raise, I thought I had plenty of implied odds for the call. On to the hand:

Hero is UTG+1 with 99

Pre-flop:
UTG calls $2, Hero calls $2, 3 other callers, SB completes, BB raises to $14. UTG calls, Hero Calls, one LP caller.

Flop (~$55): 9d 4x 2d
BB checks, UTG checks. Hero . . . ?

I am torn with what to do in this situation . . . we've got 4 to the flop and the pot here is pretty large already. Because the pot is so big, I'm deathly afraid of that flush and don't want to give anyone a free card by checking. OTOH, I would like to get paid a little more for my top set. The BB has to have something decent here unless he is just terrible, so if he doesn't have an overpair he's got AQ, AK, etc. Do I want to risk the flush to try and give someone the second best hand?

Here's what I did (highlight to read):

<font color="white">
Bet $50. Everyone folded very quickly. </font>

mr pink
01-05-2005, 02:43 AM
i think its good. i'd rather win a big pot than lose a gigantic one.

also, i think i'd step up my steals on these guys after the flop, especially if they check it to you.

peace - jeff

Pepsquad
01-05-2005, 02:44 AM
If you want more $ for your top set, leading out for 25BB is not the way to go about it. However, this is the way to go about making it incorrect for the flush draws to chase.

FWIW, I'd throw out the standard .75/pot sized bet and check/re-raise push the non-diamond turn (if I was SURE the turn would bring a bet).

Pepsquad
01-05-2005, 02:53 AM
Never mind - IGNORE my last post. Classic example of me getting ahead of myself and spewing an answer before reading the entire post and bet amount pre-flop. You played this perfectly.