PDA

View Full Version : Sick of being "bullied" by chronic min-raisers: how to defend??

Moose
01-05-2005, 02:16 AM
Guys,

I have this problem ALL the time, especially in lower buyin events ($11 and $22). Lots of times, a player one or two to my right will, when it gets down to five or six handed, make a min-raise from the SB or on the button when it's folded to him, like each and every time.

Once again I went from 1st of 5 to out-on-the-bubble in 4th, starting this whole sordid facade with 9x the BB and getting whittled away because I just kept getting one crap hand after another, and after six such raises by him, I finally found A6o on the 7th, jammed it in and ran into AK.

My experience is that a bluff re-raise against these yokels is worthless, they will not lay down J9o preflop even when the pot is laying them less than 2-1, if I just smooth call the blind I invariably get bet into on the flop.

Bottom line: These guys MUST be playing bad poker but I lack the skillset to figure out how to deal with it.

So, when faced with chronic min-bet steals, what is the best way to deal with it? Push preflop with any two as soon as you figure out what's going on? Call the flop and push or call all-in with any pair or any draw? Just endure it and wait for a hand, expecting to get called with much the worst of it barring the odd time they actually find a hand?

Any help is appreciated. I'm at my wits end here ^^

M.

Gramps
01-05-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Lots of times, a player one or two to my right will, when it gets down to five or six handed, make a min-raise from the SB or on the button when it's folded to him, like each and every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
My experience is that a bluff re-raise against these yokels is worthless, they will not lay down J9o preflop even when the pot is laying them less than 2-1, if I just smooth call the blind I invariably get bet into on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Bottom line: These guys MUST be playing bad poker but I lack the skillset to figure out how to deal with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your opponent is making a raise into you with any two, yet won't lay down many hands when played back at. Hmmmm.....Bueller, Bueller, Bueller. Sounds like the kind of opponent I want to play against. Wait for a good hand against the range of hands he's pushing (getting a "vs. random hand chart" would be a good first step) and come over the top of his arse. Or with a hand like T9 or something, just call and check the flop, knowing your opponent will probably bet his "random hand" on the flop, giving you more chips the times the flop hits you.

Sometimes you'll keep getting crap, sometimes you'll play back and run into a monster....but poker is a long-run game, so who cares.