PDA

View Full Version : do I make a play here?

rybones
01-05-2005, 12:41 AM
So, I think I had the odds to call here from the small blind with just about anything as this was almost an all skate. On the flop the only better is a know min raiser in hands like this. However, if I have any edge in the cards it is minimal and the blinds are still relatively low.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 (t1930)
MP1 (t1230)
MP2 (t1510)
MP3 (t1535)
CO (t35)
Button (t4335)
Hero (t1535)
BB (t430)
UTG (t960)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t50, MP1 calls t50, MP2 calls t50, MP3 calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t50, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t350) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t100</font>, Button folds,

Hero ?????

As I see it, my choices are:

A) fold
B) check raise
C) call and check raise the turn
D) call and see what happens

What would you choose and why? any thoughts are welcome.

Ryan

Mons
01-05-2005, 12:53 AM
I'm still new but I just don't see it. Why do anything other than fold?

rybones
01-05-2005, 01:10 AM
perhaps I didn't make it clear that the raiser is a chook who likely read Phil Helmuth's book and thinks any time he is first to act post-flop he shoul min raise just to see if he can take the hand down. I doubt he has anything other than A,7 or lower (I think it may even be possible he only had K,x sooted) or he would have raised pre-flop. With this in mind I do think he is ahead so perhaps I should fold, but I also think I can push him off if I make a play. The quesion is, is it worth the risk? If so which play should I make?

does that help?

Merlyn22
01-05-2005, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, I think I had the odds to call here from the small blind with just about anything as this was almost an all skate. On the flop the only better is a know min raiser in hands like this. However, if I have any edge in the cards it is minimal and the blinds are still relatively low.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 (t1930)
MP1 (t1230)
MP2 (t1510)
MP3 (t1535)
CO (t35)
Button (t4335)
Hero (t1535)
BB (t430)
UTG (t960)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t50, MP1 calls t50, MP2 calls t50, MP3 calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t50, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t350) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t100</font>, Button folds,

Hero ?????

As I see it, my choices are:

A) fold
B) check raise
C) call and check raise the turn
D) call and see what happens

What would you choose and why? any thoughts are welcome.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]
Try to remember that you are only in this hand because you were getting such overwhelming odds to call from the SB with all the limpers in the pot. You are hoping to catch a fortunate flop. Unfortunatly, you got nothing. So you lost 25 chips. That's it. The important thing about calling with marginal hands because of pot odds is you have to be able to fold them if you don't get something good. I think your ego is getting in the way. You don't want to fold to such a weak bet. Also, there are so many people behing you to act, someone else could be going for a check/raise or at least have a hand they are willing to call with. Get out.

curtains
01-05-2005, 06:53 AM
You should fold here. You have to learn when it's appropriate to make a move, and this surely isn't the time. There are a large number of players who could be sandbagging, and the bettor may actually have a hand.
It's nice to be creative, but it's important to learn when the appropriate times are. The risk/reward ratio here is just not there.

ChrisV
01-05-2005, 07:24 AM
no? You don't have any pairs or draws and there are 4 people acting behind you. Just to repeat your plan to you, you plan to forcibly push 5 Party players, 1 of whom has already bet, from the pot? Otherwise you're out of position without a hand?

therock
01-05-2005, 02:41 PM
I can't believe we are discussing this one...