PDA

View Full Version : AK/AQ unimproved

Joe McDowell
01-05-2005, 12:22 AM
I have a question about when you have AK/AQ unimproved. If you raised preflop, bet all the way, and it is heads-up on the river, then you should check it down if you are last to act.

But when you are heads-up on the river against a typical player, what should you do if you are first to act? If you bet, many players would call with any pair. But if you check, you are giving him the option of taking a free-showdown. And if he bluffs, it may be hard to call with Ace-high.

So what would you do if you had Ace-high, heads-up on the river and you are first to act?

KenProspero
01-05-2005, 12:31 AM
I think I'd need more information.

Even with a ragged board, if someone was calling on every street, I'd be very tempted to fold on the turn (and maybe even on the flop).

Joe McDowell
01-05-2005, 12:42 AM
I agree that if you miss, you should sometimes give up on the flop/turn. But if it's heads-up you may have the best hand or he may fold.

I've seen some posts where people are heads-up with position, they say they bet the flop, turn, and check down the river unimproved, because Ace-high can win a showdown, and a better hand will just call.

But if it's the same situation and you are first to act then what would you do? (assume the opponent is an unknown)

Hack
01-05-2005, 05:37 AM
If you think there is a good chance the opponent will fold then bet the river.

If you have position then against a typical player I strongly suggest checking behind him on the river obviously.

If you are first to act on the river then I might bet it and I might not. It is really read-dependent.

John Paul
01-05-2005, 11:49 AM
I play on party .5/1$. At those tables (and micro limit in general), unless you have strong information to the contrary, you should check the river if you are first. If you bet and the villian has a pair he will almost always call and you will lose. If they do not have a pair they will almost always fold and you will not get anything for your bet. Most folks will check behind you with a small pair - so the bluffing situation does not come up as often as you might think. If they do bet, your action depends on your read of the player and the size of the pot. I think that between always betting out and always checking and calling, checking and calling will be much better for you in the long run because many hands that beat you will check behind.

Joe Tall
01-06-2005, 02:41 AM
Hey guys, read this old post:

AK, AQ chasing. (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=433894&page=&view=&sb =5&o=&vc=1)

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall

PokerGoblin
01-06-2005, 04:20 PM
The answer isn't an exact science. Your post implies you are in position.

In a limit game:

If it's heads up, you might want to fire at it, especially if the board is coordinated with a blank river card. Your opponent may have been drawing and missed. What basically happens is by the river you have put yourself in the position where you have to win uncontested to take it down. If the pot is small, you may be able to bluff at it. In bigger pots (10 Big Bets or more) you will get called more frequently. I usually will bet regardless and fold to a raise, there is some value in showing that you will play every big hand the same and when you hit next time you will get paid off. Then again, a lot of fish don't pay attention to that.

In a NL game:

It depends more on your read of your opponent. Usually if you make a big turn bet w/ AK unimproved and you are called you can believe you are behind and you need to check behind.

Hope that helps

PG