PDA

View Full Version : Common middle tourney situation with a draw

Siawyn
01-04-2005, 11:33 PM
I fear that sometimes I misplay my blind hands. Sometimes I think I'm too passive when I do flop a good draw.. because I'm first to act. Do you guys usually lead out with a bet? Check and go for a check-raise? Check-fold to action? Check-call to moderate bets? What about if you're under the average stack size? Do you feel like you have to commit to it?

Here's specifics about one particular hand from this evening:

About 400 people left in this particular tourney (1100+ started), top 99 pay. Average stack size at this point is about 4400, and I have 2825.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP1 (t4945)
<font color="#C00000">MP2 (t2795)</font>
MP3 (t4985)
CO (t6790)
Button (t5245)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t2825)</font>
BB (t1080)
UTG (t3160)
UTG+1 (t3975)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t150, MP2 calls t150, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t600) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

With this flop texture it's pretty unlikely it hit anyone, the limpers either have small/medium pairs (hopefully not 55 or 66!), or broadway cards.. or a suited ace, etc. Do you lead out at this flop and just hope to pick it up? I have a 15-out draw although not all of the outs may be clean.

Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2675</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t2045 (All-In).

The 600 bet looks like someone trying to pick up the pot since they were last to act, or it could be someone betting with their pair protecting vs. overs. With my stack, I feel that my only reasonable raise would be to all-in to actually put pressure on his stack size since we are almost exactly even in chips.

He calls. If you are in his position with his cards is this a blatantly obvious play on a draw? Or does it make it look more intimidating if the blind just bets out strong at you on that flop? I'm not concerned if his play is right or not, because I had no issues with his play.. I just wonder if you are in his shoes how do you interpret it.

Turn: (t5920) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t5920) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t5920

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Kh Qh (one pair, sixes).
MP2 has 8s 8d (two pair, eights and sixes).
Outcome: MP2 wins t5890. Hero wins t30. </font>

So how do you approach this? Fire out a bet on the flop (how much?) and then shut down if you dont hit on the turn? Check-call then go for a check-raise if hit on the turn? Or bet right out? More importantly, is this a spot where I should be making a stand yet? Sometimes I think I misjudge exactly when I should make a stand.. and I make it either too early, or too late when it doesn't matter anymore.