PDA

View Full Version : Think I played this flopped set weakly...

rjb03
01-04-2005, 11:17 PM
$10+$1
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t480)
BB (t4145)
UTG (t1950)
UTG+1 (t410)
MP1 (t980)
MP2 (t2860)
Hero (t1855)
Button (t820)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t50, Hero calls t50, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (t175) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t100</font>, Hero calls t100, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t150</font>, MP2 calls t50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>...

Final Pot: t1075

I think not raising after these first two bets was criminal, although I figured they probably weren't too happy with their hands with the min-betting. Not to mention I was letting them see a cheap turn card if the first bettor didn't reraise even though the board was really only good looking (and also only threatening to me) for OESD's that wouldn't pay you off too much unless you charged them to draw. Most turn broadway cards probably would've killed the action if someone had tpgk and didn't hit 2 pair.

The second thing I believe I did wrong was basically tell them that I had a really strong hand after raising three bets/raises out of nowhere signalling I want the action. Although I likely should've raised after the first bet/raise, does anybody not raise after the first bettor reraises and let someone else lead out for a hopefully decent bet on the turn? Obviously the reraise is what I was looking for but it was just so weak and didn't tell me too much about how much he was willing to pay to see the turn.

GimmeDaWatch
01-05-2005, 08:57 AM
I dont know if Id say "criminal", as I actually think its kind of close. There's no flush draw and if he has a hand like A9 you really dont want to just blow him off his hand. On the other hand, you dont wanna give TJ or 67 cheap cards. I slowplay sets far less often than I did when I first began playing, but this board doesnt look terribly threatening so I think its close. I also think your re-raise is fine as BB has shown he likes his hand and if he's got a hand like two pair that he wants to play for his stack you want him committed by the turn. All that said, Im sure most players on here will recommend you pot-raise the flop, and proceed from there to get as much money in the pot as quickly as possible.