PDA

View Full Version : loose/tight - and passive/aggressive| Which combo makes biggest fish?

laja
01-04-2005, 08:45 PM
what is the best combination of those?
It seems like loose/aggro obviously if they are a true maniac. But lets talk more realistically as there are not many "true" maniacs who raise no matter what. Me and my friend discussed it and he advised the loose/passive players as the variance is then extremely low.

What do you guys think? Which is most +ev

JoshuaD
01-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Generally, loose-passive is the player I'm happiest to see.

If there's a bunch of LP's at the table, I'd also like one or two LAG's to springboard off of, but generally LP-P is my favorite kind of fish.

I just ignore TP's until they wake up, and I try to have one loose player for each TAG at the table.

JoshuaD
01-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Actually, when I'm table selecting at 2/4, I esentially give the different sort of players values. Any table who's value is >= 0 I'll sit down at.

LP = +2
LA = +1
TP = -.5
TA = -1

It's a little more complex than that, since I've got a value in my head for each sort of player in Bison's AutoRate rules, but that's the basic idea of it.

nurp
01-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Personally, I prefer to start conservative and wait on a hand that I can downplay. Once I can get someone to call, I know I'm in there head and I'll be aggressive when I know my opponent has me beat. When you're in there head, they're affraid of everyone. Just did a private game at home (peasant mans poker) Prize was a total of 8$ and I got J/7 and paired twice off the flop and it ended up being my hand to control the game. With that said you must take into consideration the way the opponent bets and the way he composes himself. If you play someone who has not tells which I do sometimes, I stick to my strategy. I never stay aggressive too long, it has to moderated, much like drinking /images/graemlins/wink.gif

/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

btk202jazz
01-04-2005, 09:18 PM
I like to label players using Hellmuth's animal types. However, no matter what table you sit at, as a good poker player, you should be able to take advtange of any style of play. Try to play more against the type of player you are weak against to build up your skill. A tight player can be easily pushed around, and a loose can be put in his place. I advantage of any players mistakes, because no matter the style they all make them on many occassions.

kyzerjose
01-05-2005, 08:23 AM
LP is my first choice. Chronic diarrhea (too loose and play like sh*t)They're the walking ATMs. Easy to spot and usually don't have clue.
LA comes in 2nd. Once I have a read, I just tighten up my game a tad and try and take advantage of their reckless behavior. I never try and put any player in their place. Trying to control another player's behavior is a waste of energy and just doesn't work. I really need to be in the right frame of mind if I'm playing against more than one though. Two or more and the game may spin out of control. The schooling effect.
TPs are frustrating to play against. For me, they're very difficult to read. I must admit though, I used to play that style. When I first started playing I was a 53 (Psychology of Poker). I'm playing 26 now. I know the next step will be slow in coming.
TAs are a hoot. I love to watch them. They're so gifted. I usually don't run into them that often at LLHE tables. (Don't have the jing to play up) When I find them, it's frequently during a tournament series at the local B&M (Canterbury).
Whoo Hooo Hooo, talk about getting outplayed. I'm sure I allowed a few of them to eat a lttle better and upgrade their room last fall. /images/graemlins/smile.gif