PDA

View Full Version : Teams to avoid

10-15-2001, 03:45 AM
Something I used to do way back when was come up with a set of teams I figured would look bad over the next few weeks. Considering NFL has been absolutely horrible for me (win with colleges lose with pros has seemed to be my theme this year) I figured I would go back to the basics for at least a little while. So I came up with 3 teams to bet against or avoid for the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Steelers

How phony can you get? Buf, Cin, KC...easy teams with matchups the Steelers could handle. They are getting some press and public support now, but their next 3 games are at TB, Tenn, Bal. I expect a quick collapse and it should be at least a game or two before the lines come back down. They beat these teams because the D scored points, but their offense still is plain offensive, lay the points and get the money

Chargers

Same circumstances. Next time people get excited about beating Was, Dal, and Cin you laugh at them. I mean Cle and NE beat them now, how much longer can the public buy into Flutie magic? Well I will be looking to see if there is any value, but I have contended all along this is a bad team and will have a decent record only because of a Virginia Tech like schedule. They have 3 home games coming up, two against lousy opponents so I wouldn't be surpised if they still are forced to pay a premium. If they are take points, I think the magic is just about gone.

Vikings

Team is about to go into a four game stretch that should take them out of their misery, starting with the Pack next week. Problem for the Vikes is that their offense is nothing without a legitimate RB and it was proven today. They scored all their points with Culpepper running, but that only works well when playing crap teams like the Lions. People keep expecting them to turn the corner anytime, but I think there is real dissension on this team and the only thing that keeps them together is the amazing talent they have. They will underachieve once the real finger pointing begins and with a couple of tough games coming up that time might be soon.

Teams on the rise:

Jets

A couple things I like here. First the simple plan works wonders. Testaverde is quietly having a great season, yet people around sports books today act like he is the biggest bum around. The guy has a 6/0 TD/INT ratio and the team is 3-2. Further they have one of the best RBs around in Martin. That formula plus an underrated defense should do them well. They get a nice break with the Rams off a tough game and Faulk getting hurt. This team could be 5-2 before people wake up and realize they are better than public perception.

Eagles

A bye week to ponder how they could be 2-2 when it easily could be 4-0. This team is incredibly talented, it might be their year if they put it together and play with a championship mentality. The defense can be spectacular when they are focused, mediocre when they are not. McNabb is amazing though and as he works more and more with his new receivers I think this team will get much better. Getting Duce back will help too. They have a tough two games coming up, but should do fine coming off the bye and after that they could go on a big run. Jump on the train now.

10-22-2001, 01:44 AM
Teams you said to avoid or bet against and how they did today:

Steelers covered by 13

Chargers covered by 20

Vikings covered by 26

Your teams on the rise:

Jets failed to cover by 14

Eagles ????

Not only were you off you were way off, un... well uh ... /images/smile.gif.