PDA

View Full Version : A matter of angles, is this over the line?

Tosh
01-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Apparently it wasn't and that with 1 minute to go was the reason my team didn't win a game away to Manchester United for the first time in 15 years.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/images/playerpics04_05/football/live/carroll_gaffe.jpg

lu_hawk
01-04-2005, 06:14 PM
Yes that is in. Look at the distance from his foot to the goal line then look how far his outstretched arm goes. His arm is longer than the distance from his foot to the line and the ball is right under his hand.

IndieMatty
01-04-2005, 06:22 PM
OVER THE LINE DONNIE!

You'z got robbed.

slickpoppa
01-04-2005, 06:25 PM
definitely over the line. look at the shadow of the ball.

Tosh
01-04-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
definitely over the line. look at the shadow of the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should perhaps add to that the fact that at that that point the ball was travelling further towards the net, it moved about another 6-12 inches before it was scooped out.

dtbog
01-04-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
look at the shadow of the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Took the words out of my mouth.

I demand a recount!

-DB

Graham
01-04-2005, 06:41 PM
With all the cameras around, you'd think one along each goal line would be feasible these days. Just have someone check a video. I never understand why these old crones who run leagues always reject using modern technology to resolve important disputes.

Tosh
01-04-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With all the cameras around, you'd think one along each goal line would be feasible these days. Just have someone check a video. I never understand why these old crones who run leagues always reject using modern technology to resolve important disputes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not mad keen on the whole technology in football/soccer but this particular incident is not a case for it. More a case of having referees that have some level of competence. If it was a close call I'd be gutted but could accept it, how retarded do you need to be to get this one wrong?

Zoltri
01-04-2005, 06:47 PM
You was robbed. That must be a kick in the nuts.

http://www3.telus.net/public/ehopkins/funny-pictures/penaltykick.jpg http://www3.telus.net/public/ehopkins/funny-pictures/moresoccerfouls.jpg

jdl22
01-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Speaking of you being gutted and incompetent referees this has to be pretty high on your list:
http://www.thecommentarybox.co.uk/images/maradona.jpg
http://www.soccermania.dk/misc%20billeder/diego%20med%20hand.jpg http://www.raisport.rai.it/pub/static/2000/20020524Maradona1986.jpg

That goal was obviously crap but the second was pure class.

Tosh
01-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Well I'm only 20 so I was 2 at the time and at least missed out on seeing that travesty live, plenty more relating to England in my lifetime though.

This one takes the cake though.

fnord_too
01-04-2005, 07:55 PM
I have no clue why I find these pics so funny, but I can't stop laughing. My wife wanted to see what was so funny, but doesn't really share my amusement.

ThaSaltCracka
01-04-2005, 07:57 PM
well, really few things are funnier than some guy getting hit in the nuts.

fnord_too
01-04-2005, 08:04 PM
I think it is the fact that the kicker looks so serious and the other guy looks like he is being launched. I usually don't find slapstick funny but those picks are still cracking me up.

ThaSaltCracka
01-04-2005, 08:05 PM
the second one is great.

fnord_too
01-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Damn, it doesn't show up too good as an avatar.

ThaSaltCracka
01-04-2005, 08:16 PM
naw, it works

Corey
01-05-2005, 05:25 AM
Wow, I finally saw a replay of this thing and it is by far and away one of the worst calls in professional sports history.

In soccer terms, it goes up there with Maradona; in U.S. Soccer terms, the phantom PK in world cup '98 qualifying against Jamaica that wasn't a handball and was outside the box anyway.

It gives me another reason to think Manchester United and soon enough Malcom Glazer will take over the world...and it's a great avatar.

MarkL444
01-05-2005, 05:30 AM
are there any other angles that look closer? im curious how this one could be [censored] up, seems obvious.

daveymck
01-05-2005, 05:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I'm only 20 so I was 2 at the time and at least missed out on seeing that travesty live, plenty more relating to England in my lifetime though.

This one takes the cake though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the pleasure of seeing it live.

Last nights was so over the line David Blunkett could have identified it as a goal, dont know whats going on its as obvious as the Chelsea handball in the Liverpool game.

I dont think cameras are the answer, replay technology will only slow the game down, last nights decision was really poor but was a huge error from the linesman, but controversial decisions are part of the game in a way it would be a shame to lose it.

TylerD
01-05-2005, 05:57 AM
Obvious goal. Oh, and change the new offside rule back, its ridiculous.

Corey
01-05-2005, 06:00 AM
It quite simply was [censored] up. The ball was chipped from 40+ yards out and the AR/Ref didn't have a good angle.

Link to Video of Live Play, Replay, and End Game (http://www.chaser2k4.footballclips.net/CarrollBlunder.wmv)

(ignore from here on if you're one that wants a sports forum)

The assistant referee was at least 30 yards from the endline as Mendes hit the lob from near midfield (he's supposed to stay even with the last defender unless the ball goes behind him. Believe it or not, the AR isn't as fast as a kicked ball. The referee was presumably about even with the AR (no video) but from a straight-on angle. This did-it-cross-the-line kind of play can easily be solved with video and IR analysis. No matter the importance of the Tottenham-ManU game, however, it doesn't compare to Geoff Hurst bringing England it's only World Cup glory in '66 with a goal that I still have a hard time believing went over the line.

jdl22
01-05-2005, 06:09 AM
Having been a high school referee this type of play is tough to judge. The problem is that you aren't at a very good angle and you're running like hell to get down toward the goal line. I don't think they'll change anything, FIFA is very reluctant to add referee's to the field (for example I find it extremely unlikely that we will see goal judges as there are in hockey). While the FA is more willing to make changes - they were first to use radios between officials for example, I don't think anything will get changed.

jdl22
01-05-2005, 06:11 AM
Wow.

That video is nuts. I'm going to take back my previous statement. I didn't realise that the ball actually bounced on the ground several feet over the line. That's unbelievably obvious.

Tough break Spurs fans.

mikewvp
01-05-2005, 06:38 AM
I don't think the ball is over the line. Someone said "look at the shadow of the ball" but you have to realize its in mid air. The goalie's shadow angles in a direction that would imply the ball's shadow is also angled in toward the goal. Also look at it relative to the goal post? it doesn't even look like its past the post yet.

Ulysses
01-05-2005, 07:00 AM
Hah. After seeing the pic, I was about to post something like your initial post - with a lob with some pace on it, if the referee can't get close enough quickly, it is near impossible to see where in relation to the post the ball is when swatted out of the goal. BUT THEN I WATCHED THE VIDEO AND SAW THAT HE DIDNT SWAT IT OUT IN THE AIR - IT BOUNCED FIRST!!!!!

daveymck
01-05-2005, 07:03 AM
Even at that angle it looks a million miles over the line, watch the video.

Anyone who watches football regular can see thats over the line, in real time watching it on Match of the day it looked a million miles over, sometime the margin is close and even with video replays and zooms on the ball and line its hard to tell but that one was not even close.

mikewvp
01-05-2005, 07:07 AM
ALright I saw the video now, its definately a goal.

jdl22
01-05-2005, 07:11 AM
Where were you sitting? I'm just curious how well you could see it live.

daveymck
01-05-2005, 07:17 AM
I think NFL is a good indication of how video technology can screw up the game, even in a game thats structure makes replays easy to look to they have been unable to deciede the best ways to use replays. It breaks up the play and slows the game too much and I think can lead to poorer referees cos they know they dont have to make a decision and can look to the replay to get to the correct outcome.

I prefer the current method and could see it working in football too, you are allowed a small number of challenges so that match winning plays and decisions can be reviewed rather than every corner/throwin etc which footbal could end up at.

But as a spectator of football (and my team having been screwed by incorrect decisions) I really dont want replays coming in and spoiling the flow of the game.

daveymck
01-05-2005, 07:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Where were you sitting? I'm just curious how well you could see it live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasnt at the match meant on tv, which is on the halfway line. But meant in realtime rather than a slowed replay.

Zoltri
01-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Common guys. Every one knows Soccer is a sissy game.

http://www3.telus.net/public/ehopkins/funny-pictures/girlysoccerplayers.jpg

jdl22
01-05-2005, 07:48 AM
They played like it in the last World Cup as well.