PDA

View Full Version : J9s two pair hand...

SparkyDog
01-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button is capable of raising a variety of hands here, but nothing unjustifiable.
Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12.33 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.16 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (22.16 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 24.16 BB

W. Deranged
01-04-2005, 06:18 PM
I don't like the flop bet here. Unless you have a read that he is tight, weak, or knows how lay down a good hand, a bet probably won't get the button to fold KK, QQ (or KJ, QJ, which he probably wasn't raising anyway, but maybe...) More likely, your opponent is going to raise you, and since he is immediately behind you, you are facing the entire field with two bets. So you're basically getting the hand short-handed with a hand that is very likely to be drawing.

Against a smaller field I like this play, but against six players it's so much more likely that you are up against an A, you are much less likely to win this hand with a bluff, and I think you should be playing this hand as a weak draw rather than a hand that needs to be protected.

This might be tight-weak of me, but I think that a simple check-call is going to be better here than leading into the pre-flop bettor.

Entity
01-04-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This might be tight-weak of me, but I think that a simple check-call is going to be better here than leading into the pre-flop bettor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Rob

ElSapo
01-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Bet the turn and let the button pop it again for you.

SparkyDog
01-04-2005, 06:44 PM
In response to the earlier posts, I bet out hoping button had an Ace and would raise it.

I'm about 99% sure button bets this when checked to. Now that I've hit, isn't worth trapping the field for two rather than counting on the button raising?

IMO, there's conditions that have to be met for C/R to be wrong:

1) There has to be a reasonably live draw out.
2) It has to fold for two cold, but not for one at a time.
3) Finally, the button has to cooperate and raise again.

I don't think there's one out all that often. I think I'll take a more certain check-raise. Either way, I'm still getting two of their bets in as a favorite.

jayrutz2
01-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Anyone fold this before the flop? With multiple callers in, you are basically playing for 2pr and flush value. 9s or Js are unlikely to hold up. Also, I'd hate to sucked into 1, 2 0r 3 more bets due to raises from rest of field.

As others said, why bet the flop?

Entity
01-04-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone fold this before the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Rob

SparkyDog
01-05-2005, 12:43 AM
The pot is frickin' ginormous is why I bet the flop.

SparkyDog
01-05-2005, 12:44 AM
MP1 called my river bet...

MP1 showed KJo and Button showed AKo

Entity
01-05-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The pot is frickin' ginormous is why I bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you want to pay 3 bets when you know you're drawing to 5 outs?

Rob

SparkyDog
01-05-2005, 01:55 AM
Two bets, and it's to improve winning chances.

I'm surprised the flop action is generating so much controversy, it's pretty basic TOP stuff...

The reason I decided to trap on the turn was that I wasn't sure button would raise a stop and go and I didn't think decent draws were going anywhere anyways. That's where I think the most interesting discussion is..