PDA

View Full Version : Can I lay down JJ preflop? (Party 2/4)

robokop
01-04-2005, 05:23 PM
I've been playing 2/4 at Empire for about a month now, and so far not managing to prove, to myself, that I'm a winning player there (I do seem to be a break-even player, however). So, just looking for some advice on my game, starting preflop. In this hand, UTG+2 is 12/6, MP1 is 45/6.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero...

What is the standard play here? No matter what the flop is, it doesn't seem like I'll feel safe without a set, as I could easily be up against an overpair or two, or an overpair and AK/AQ. Can I lay this down? What is the standard line here?

JinX11
01-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Cold call for me. Cannot cap, cannot fold; you have position, but you don't mind if someone else comes along.

UTG+2 and MP1 could easily be fighting for the same cards, so, you may well have the best hand and your pocket Js may hold up unimproved. Regardless, flopping a set of Js will be paid nicely - so, call for set value if nothing else.

private joker
01-04-2005, 05:34 PM
If by "standard" you mean the recommendations in SSH for loose games (like Party 2/4), then call it. Cap with AA-QQ and AK, but call with JJ. Many people 3-bet with AQ and AK, and you could easily be against both of those, making JJ the best hand for now. I can see the argument for capping it.

Strangely, I fold TT in this spot.

rewt75
01-04-2005, 05:37 PM
I would cold call the crap out of this. Like JinX said, you have position and a shot at having the best hand. If it gets capped back to you, I'd play it for a set, some miracle straight, or some totally sweet quads.

lu_hawk
01-04-2005, 05:40 PM
When a 6% PFR player 3-bets I usually assume it means a PP higher than JJ.

private joker
01-04-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When a 6% PFR player 3-bets I usually assume it means a PP higher than JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

AK easily fits into a 6% PFR's 3-betting standards.

JinX11
01-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Normally, I'd agree - but this guy has some fishy tendencies seeing 45% of the flops. His raising standards are about on par with a good player it seems; AK definitely fits into the 3-bet category.

chesspain
01-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Since neither of the opponents in the pot is a loose raiser, there is nothing wrong with folding, unless you have good reason to believe that at least a couple of the players behind you will likely come along as well.