PDA

View Full Version : Questionable play

Absolution
01-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Sorry I don't have the history, but here is how it went: It was mid-late in a very large and loose multi. Blinds were 75-150. I had 4000 on the button, and there was a large stack acting right before me with 20000 (villian). The villian was the only limper pre-flop. I look down at A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and raise it 3x. The blinds fold and the villian calls.

The flop comes

K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (pot 1125)

The villian comes in for 300. This looks pretty fishy to me. This is a loose tournament even this far in and I'm up against a big stack so he could be holding anything really. These guys will call a raise after limping just because they already have money in the pot. I figure he has top pair, but is not too sure about the kicker. I contemplate calling here since the odds are there, but I'm also ahead with so many outs (although it's about 50/50). I decide to push here and he immediately calls.

Thoughts?

MLG
01-04-2005, 04:00 PM
If you think he won't lay down a king I think calling is ok here. If he's a bad player he'll probably price you in on the turn also. Also, he'll probably be more willing to pay you off when you hitif he's loose and bad.

Lloyd
01-04-2005, 04:36 PM
While it might not have made a difference with the villain in this case, if you're going to raise you need to make it 4-5XBB because you have a limper. 3XBB offers him good enough odds to call with a wide range of hands.

I think I would just call here. Your push looks like a draw to me so if he has TP even with a weak kicker your bound to get called. In some ways, a smooth call can look even more scary than raising. If he has TP you have 12 outs twice making you about a 1.5 to 1 dog. I wouldn't put all my chips in the pot when I wasn't the favorite against someone likely to call my bet and who has offered me good odds to stay around.

Spladle Master
01-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Twelve? Try fifteen.

kuro
01-05-2005, 12:49 PM
9 diamonds + 2 queens + 3 aces = 14 outs.

You're about 50/50 vs a weak king. I'd probably take the card and go from there. Pushings not so bad though if you think he'd call you with a lesser hand or lay a weak king.