PDA

View Full Version : Let the NFL draft speculation begin!

PhatTBoll
01-04-2005, 03:28 PM
The draft order (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8063536) is out and the mock drafts have already begun to spew forth. This one (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html) is a little old and the order is a little off but has some decent analysis on it. Some head-scratchers though.

Cedric Benson to Miami at #2? "Hey, let's take an enigmatic power-runner from Texas! How can we go wrong?"

jakethebake
01-04-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cedric Benson to Miami at #2? "Hey, let's take an enigmatic power-runner from Texas! How can we go wrong?"

[/ QUOTE ]
Funny post! But I don't think Benson is Williams and the Fins are in dire need of a decent RB. Still, they'll probably trade down since they have so many holes to fill.

Without looking at who'll be available in free agency, it's really hard to know who anyone'll take in the draft though.

billyjex
01-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Well, my Niners have the first pick, and I imagine it will be a QB.. either Rodgers or Leinart but I don't know which one they're looking at.

jakethebake
01-04-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, my Niners have the first pick, and I imagine it will be a QB.. either Rodgers or Leinart but I don't know which one they're looking at.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm betting they both turn out to be duds in the NFL.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-04-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm pulling for the Vikes to get Marlin Jackson, but I don't know that he'll make it that far. Either way, they have to spend their entire draft on defensive backs/backers.

ThaSaltCracka
01-04-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]anyone else think this would be a waste? Why not draft a RB?

PhatTBoll
01-04-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sold on Rodgers, but I think Leinart is the real deal. He seems to have a real knack for finding holes in a defense. After those two, the pickings are real slim at QB. I've never even heard of this guy Frye from Akron and he is apparently the third best on the board.

jakethebake
01-04-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never even heard of this guy Frye from Akron and he is apparently the third best on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've heard/read scouts saying he's the best of the lot this draft.

nolanfan34
01-04-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's going to be an interesting draft for RB's, because of the possibility of some of the RB's available in free agency, i.e. Shaun Alexander, LaMont Jordan, Dominic Rhodes, etc.

Tyler Durden
01-04-2005, 04:42 PM
I wonder who my Redskins will take with the ninth pick? They have lots of needs as well. Maybe an offensive lineman.

CCass
01-04-2005, 05:06 PM
I would agree that my Titans are probably going to take an O Lineman with their 1st pick.

Usul
01-04-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for the next four months that Brian Billick and Ozzie Newsome will have the sense to trade up for Braylon Edwards. He's the missing piece of Baltimore's superbowl puzzle.

holeplug
01-04-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for the next four months that Brian Billick and Ozzie Newsome will have the sense to trade up for Braylon Edwards. He's the missing piece of Baltimore's superbowl puzzle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you rather have him or Mike Williams? Williams has better size and hands but his 40 time (4.56 according to NFL Draft Countdown) isn't very good.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-04-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you rather have him or Mike Williams? Williams has better size and hands but his 40 time (4.56 according to NFL Draft Countdown) isn't very good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Braylon Edwards = surefire NFL star

jakethebake
01-04-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Based on Edwards performance against Texas....?

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Also, Steve Breaston is going to be a steal for someone if he goes. He's crazy fast and makes big plays both as a WR and a kick returner.

[censored]
01-04-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another niner fan!

I think The 49ers trade down and give their young QB's another year as neither of the prospects are condidered "can't miss" types.

I really hope they grab Mike Williams out od USC. The O-line is always an issue with our team.

[censored]
01-04-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Kevin Barlow gets another year to redeem himself.

PhatTBoll
01-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Honestly, what the Niners need is a front office that cares about winning. I would be flabbergasted if they don't trade down. This will save them from having to pay a huge salary to a top player, and give them a chance to patch up a couple holes, rather than just one.

Let's face it, you could put Peyton Manning and Shaun Alexander on that team, and they still wouldn't be competetive. The O-line and defense are just terrible.

[censored]
01-04-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, what the Niners need is a front office that cares about winning. I would be flabbergasted if they don't trade down. This will save them from having to pay a huge salary to a top player, and give them a chance to patch up a couple holes, rather than just one.

Let's face it, you could put Peyton Manning and Shaun Alexander on that team, and they still wouldn't be competetive. The O-line and defense are just terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would easily trade the first pick for Eddie Debartalo as owner and Bill Walsh as GM.

DontRaisePlz
01-04-2005, 07:42 PM
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> I've heard/read scouts saying he's the best of the lot this draft. </pre><hr />

Bah, he's just another quintessential mid major QB whose not quite in the Leftwich/Roethy echeleon but has to be hyped up as a "sleeper" anyway. You would expect him to have at least grade A raw tools but he's no better than Alex Smith.

I would take Leinart, Rodgers, Smith, and a healthy Walter over Frye.

thatpfunk
01-04-2005, 07:57 PM
They need a coach more than anything. The defense on the team is not completely bad. Look at the first few games of the year, they hung around with decent teams. They quit on the coach because he is horrible.

Erickson needs to go. So does Barlow. He fumbles too much, complains too much, and is more potential than anything. I would love to see Williams get drafted by the Niners, but we need O-line bad, plus secondary, long term qb, and rb. Ugh.

Demana
01-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Shaun Alexander will be a Dolphin before the draft starts.

[censored]
01-04-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They need a coach more than anything. The defense on the team is not completely bad. Look at the first few games of the year, they hung around with decent teams. They quit on the coach because he is horrible.

Erickson needs to go. So does Barlow. He fumbles too much, complains too much, and is more potential than anything. I would love to see Williams get drafted by the Niners, but we need O-line bad, plus secondary, long term qb, and rb. Ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can fairly judge Erickson he hasn't had a full salary cap since he has been there and the team has spent the last two years ridding themselves of their best players.

SossMan
01-04-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not draft a RB?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know...maybe because it's the most overrated position in football? just a thought

nolanfan34
01-04-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shaun Alexander will be a Dolphin before the draft starts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this prediction.

offTopic
01-04-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, that would be a waste, as they're not a QB away from being competitive.

Figure on them letting Barlow go, but getting Newberry, Carter, Peterson, Winborn, and Plummer back healthy next year. They don't have a legit downfield threat at WR, and are thin on both lines...you're looking at filling WR, RB, DE, DL, OL, and one CB spot.

My guess is (assuming Donahue doesn't get fired) they trade down, staying early in the 1st round (but not #1) to get an additional pick either this year or next, then get either an OL or a DL.

If Donahue does get fired, then I can see them keeping the #1 and taking a "sexy" skill guy so that the new GM can make a splash (I don't think this would be the best thing for the team, though).

TimTimSalabim
01-04-2005, 09:08 PM
If I was going to pick a QB as first overall, I would certainly not pick one from the Pac 10, as they are always overrated due to the lack of defense in that conference.

pudley4
01-04-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a bit from the story about Rodgers turning pro:

With a strong arm, excellent mechanics and plenty of field smarts, Rodgers' game seems well suited for the NFL. He's the latest standout produced by Tedford, who masterminded the development of first-round picks Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, David Carr and Trent Dilfer.

Rodgers has no chance /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MarkL444
01-04-2005, 10:49 PM
the lions are gonna grab braylon and create the best receiving core in the history of the world with braylon, charles rogers, and roy williams. of course, harrington will still suck.