PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for Safe Cards

QTip
01-04-2005, 01:46 PM
I'm trying to work out what makes sense as far as waiting for a safe card on the turn to jam pots or protect a hand. Here's an example:

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero raises, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

This is not an actual hand that I played (although I'm sure it was at one point), so there are no reads to provide. I'm actually after how you would handle this situation in different situations.

LPG
LAG
TPG
TAG

Now, what if you were on the button:

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero raises, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button raises, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

How do you handle this in different games if it's checked to PF raiser?

How do you handle this if UTG bets and MP1 raises?

Now...let's say that you choose to wait for a safe turn and it's not safe... /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Turn: (2 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

How aggressive do you get, especially if the MP2 flop raiser bets?

I guess I'm looking for some general solid advise on when to wait for safe cards and what to do if you wait for a safe card and you're not that fortunate.

Nick C
01-04-2005, 10:04 PM
In the example given, I would almost automatically bet the Q72 flop when UTG.

I would also bet if checked to on the Button.

If there was a bet and a raise in front of me, I'd decide between 3-betting and waiting for the turn. I'm not sure which is best. (If I thought a "safe" card might end up getting checked to me on the turn anyway, though, after I called two cold on the flop, I'd go ahead and raise.) If I did wait, though, and the turn brought a flush card, I wouldn't like that at all. (Two of my opponents showed interest in a Q72 flop, and two others are calling.) I might just call down. Or, if there was a bet and a raise before the action got to me, I'd probably fold. I might fold, too, if I called initially and there was a checkraise behind me.