PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Question

jackaaron
01-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Look, this question has been asked on here so many times I can't count. I keep reading, and reading, and no one seems to have a bonafied answer. Mostly, people say you should start with limit, and move up, and so on. They say that you find the fish, and win against them. But, could someone give me some numbers that has actually played a LOT of no limit, and a LOT of limit hold 'em?
Why do you make more money in limit? Give me a typical month in which you made money and how vs what would have happened if you were playing in no limit tourney's where there is like a 5-15 dollar buy in, you get 1500 in chips, then go from there. I'm doing well in no limit tourney's, and I just can't understand why people play limit because when I go down into limit, everyone is calling. You see the river so much, that I actually don't want to play. It seems like there is no real skill, and just luck. If you happen to have the cards on the particular hand that everyone has put money into (it seems) then you win.
Or, is that why you like it? I typically wait for a good hand, and hope that some of these people that seemingly bet every pot are in when I have my hand, and I take their money. Still, I win more in no limit tourney's and sit-n-go's, and pay much less rake (it seems that way, at least). Thanks.

I Play 2 Ski
01-04-2005, 01:49 PM
I make a more steady income playing limit mainly for the reasons you stated. Sure there are lots of beats, but the amount of huge pots I take down more than make up for it.

tek
01-04-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Still, I win more in no limit tourney's and sit-n-go's, and pay much less rake. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you answered your own question as it relates to YOUR needs (versus other peoples experience and opinion on Limit versus No Limit).

I too prefer NL over Limit. They are two different breeds.

Fortunately, besides NL tournaments NL cash games are becoming more widespread outside of Vegas and AC. Therefore, those of us that prefer NL van play cash and tourneys, while Limit enthusiasts can play limit cash and tourneys.

Everyone can be happy.

SheridanCat
01-04-2005, 02:39 PM
First, my background. I play almost exclusively limit hold'em. I have played some live NL hold'em and I play tournaments on occasion, both MTT and single-tables both online and live. I also like other poker games, but I don't play them nearly as much as hold'em.

[ QUOTE ]
Look, this question has been asked on here so many times I can't count. I keep reading, and reading, and no one seems to have a bonafied answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's whatever floats your boat, my brother. The answer is, "it depends".

[ QUOTE ]
Mostly, people say you should start with limit, and move up, and so on. They say that you find the fish, and win against them. But, could someone give me some numbers that has actually played a LOT of no limit, and a LOT of limit hold 'em?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe someone can give you hard numbers. I can't. I can say that in my opinion and experience, NL punishes inexperienced players more than limit does. Since beginners are, by definition, inexperienced players, I think it's safest to stay away from NL when starting out. If you're a very disciplined beginner, then perhaps NL can work for you.

[ QUOTE ]

Why do you make more money in limit? Give me a typical month in which you made money and how vs what would have happened if you were playing in no limit tourney's where there is like a 5-15 dollar buy in, you get 1500 in chips, then go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt anyone will really give you hard numbers. Here's what I can say. I finished December 2004 a winner for the month. I played about 110 hours, mostly online but some live. I played about 20 hours in tournaments, all single-table. About 1/3 of my win was from those tournaments.

Judging from those results, I should spend my time playing single-table tournaments since those netted me the most money. I still play mostly limit hold'em. Why? Because my variance will be lower than playing tournaments and, well, I like it better. My wins at tournament poker are often based on winning coin-flips. My wins at limit hold'em are usually based on me having very much the best of it. I'd rather have the best of it than get lucky on the coin flips.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm doing well in no limit tourney's, and I just can't understand why people play limit because when I go down into limit, everyone is calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

When everyone is calling, then you're making money because you should be in there with dominating hands. You want people calling when you're playing tight/aggressive poker. They're often drawing with incorrect odds. That makes you a winner in the long run.

The rest of your post would get the same answer. You have a different tolerance for bad play. Personally, I'll take a table full of bad players who sometimes deliver brutal beats. It's a matter of what you like.

No one will force you to play limit hold'em if you don't want to. If you're playing well at the NL cash and tourney games, stick with it. The payoff can be huge.

Regards,

T