PDA

View Full Version : Home Game Horror

prrthd
01-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Ok so maybe the topic was an exaggeration, but this has been happening for over 4 months. Basically the story is that my wife was invited to a home game by a friend she works with. Now we knew this couple in passing already so we both accepted the invite. The game is a $5 buy in dealer choice game. They only play poker related games and the stakes are 5 cent, 10 cent, a quarter.

Now the main problem is simply, neither me nor my wife can beat this game. There are usually 6-8 people playing and 4-6 of them are super loose and chase to the river every time hoping to catch, and one of them usually does. To be honest I am not sure this game is beatable unless we play super tight and that pretty much takes all the fun out of the game.

Any clue on how I should play at this game? They are all really nice people and I don't want to offend them by not showing up anymore, but I really hate losing every single time I go. It is not the money it is just the constant bad beats. Should I just loosen way up and enjoy the ride or should I stay semi-loose and indure the bad beats?

Thoughts?

Francis
01-04-2005, 12:17 PM
I play in a similar home game. It's neigbors and 99% social; with a $10 dollar buy in max. Terrible plays all night long, everyone calling EVERYTHING to the river...

I decided to enjoy the people, not worry about the game. Once in a while I do well, often I get sucked out. My AA's picked up a set on the flop, and even going all didn't stop someone from going picking up a backdoor flush. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

It happens. If you like the people, enjoy it, and forget about it as being poker.

I save my more 'serious' poker time for online or local games where the people are there first and foremost to play poker. That way I don't mind wasting time at the neighborhood game.

Regards,
Francis

MattHatter
01-04-2005, 12:30 PM
I have to agree with the previous poster.

I also play in a super loose .50/1 home game and I say this is a social game. Play loose, drink beer and since the money is small no problems. You can do some fun stuff and let off some steam.

Your opponents may someday want to play amore serious game, with higher stakes. You can remain social but break out the A game on this occasion, casual players probably won't realize you 'switched gears' so to speak and will continue to play the style that has been working for them.

Play semi-drunk agressive poker.. its a hoot.

Matt

prrthd
01-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Good advice from both of you. Guess it is time to just let'r fly and enjoy the social aspect of the game.

Thanks

maryfield48
01-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Suggest a freeze-out format once a month or every other month or whatever. I find people tighten up & play more 'sensibly' in a tourney setting.

Phat Mack
01-04-2005, 05:41 PM
What games do you play?

chesspain
01-04-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They are all really nice people and I don't want to offend them by not showing up anymore, but I really hate losing every single time I go. It is not the money it is just the constant bad beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess if you and your wife decide to blow off your friends, you can use the ten dollars you'll save every week to pay for food and litter for the cats you'll be acquiring to keep you both company.

Grisgra
01-04-2005, 06:30 PM
I'm with the "Play Drunk-Aggressive" guy. Play goofy wild-card games, have fun! Hell, at the home game I go to ($20 buy-in followed by a $10 NLHE tournie at the end of the night) I can't stand playing traditional games. I play 15,000 hands of HE a month, when I go to a low-stakes home game I'm looking to do something a little different.

Blind-man's bluff O/8...now THERE is a game.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

prrthd
01-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Actually quite a mix. 5 and 7 card stud/draw games, Omaha Hi/lo, low spade in the hole splits the pot, game they call pineapple, another one that is a hi/lo game and you order your cards and show one at a time with a betting in between each. There is a pretty good variety but there is still alot of hold'em.

SCfuji
01-04-2005, 10:10 PM
if you are the same parrothead i have seen on full tilt, then i think it would be best if you analyzed the choices you make post-flop. post some specific hands that have caused you trouble, but either be tight-aggressive or drunk-aggressive.

CptMisery
01-04-2005, 10:19 PM
This isn't the type of game you should be worried about beating. It sounds like a social event based on a card game. Go and enjoy yourself because if you can find an evening of entertainment with the wife for less than $10 you should consider yourself lucky. I just paid $8.50 for a movie ticket.

Joe Tall
01-04-2005, 11:11 PM
There are usually 6-8 people playing and 4-6 of them are super loose and chase to the river every time hoping to catch, and one of them usually does

I play 20-40, 30-60 games like this all the time. These are the games you want to be in, they are the best. I just cracked my first 25k month.

The answers on how to beat such games are here:

All the answers in one place. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=smallholdem)

Peace,
Joe Tall

prrthd
01-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Nope not me. Thanks though.

Hedge Henderson
01-07-2005, 05:30 AM
Bad players increase your variance. I'm sure you know that. I'm sure you also know that, if you can't beat bad players, you can't expect to beat good players.

If the game is played $0.05-$0.25 with an $0.05 ante, you're not playing too loose, you're playing too tight.

Poker is fun, even when you're losing (as long as you don't loose too much). I love to sit in on a game like that. Just put it into perspective. $5 is cheaper than a movie, and you get to play poker!

If you play low limits online, think of it in those terms, just much slower. A bad two hours online might equal a bad month in a weekly game simply because there's conversation and people take so much more time to deal than a computer does. If you play well, the odds will catch up with you one of these days, and you'll win big.

emonrad87
01-08-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To be honest I am not sure this game is beatable unless we play super tight

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong. The looser the game the more beatable it is. Do you see why?