PDA

View Full Version : I've Created a Monster - now what?

prairieboy
01-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Although I've been playing poker for several years now, my wife has only recently gone from bored observer to participant. Here are some items of note:

1. In November, she placed 7th in a 160 person tournament (her very first real tournament).

2. In the tournament above she was pleasantly and sincerely surprised to learn (while at the final table no less) that a flush beats a straight.

3. While playing on my account at PartyPoker (December) she has played in 6 (that I know of) $10 SNG's, and cashed out in 3.

4. I recently found a pad of paper by my computer that included her handwritten hand histories, player notes and commentary.

5. She's starting to ask questions about no-limit betting strategies, outs, and how stack-size impacts your strategy.

6. She's arguing that maybe I should stay home with the kids 1/2 the time while she goes to my buddy's for poker night.

Given that she is a math-phobic person who's reading taste runs towards women's magazines, I don't think she's really a Poker-Book kind of gal. But she's clearly advancing quite well on her own and I'd like to encourage her progress.

Have you had similar experiences with your spouses? Where do you think we should go next?

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-04-2005, 11:28 AM
I'm still trying to get my wife to read HEP. Good luck with that.

jakethebake
01-04-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
6. She's arguing that maybe I should stay home with the kids 1/2 the time while she goes to my buddy's for poker night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I all sounded only mildly annoying until this. Then it sounded like the beginning of something on alt.sex.stories. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

tek
01-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Have her read some books. Sounds like she is doing well.

Things could be worse--sshe could be blowing dough on the slot machines instead of cashing in poker tourneys...