View Full Version : SSH, SSHE?

gasoltub
01-04-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm very new to poker and I keep seeing references to SSH and SSHE. Is that two different books or the same? And whats the full title and author? Would it be a good book to read when starting? Otherwise could someone perhaps point me in the direction of some good books?

thanks

Twitch1977
01-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Hello,

SSHE/SSH is one book, just different abreviations:

http://www.twoplustwo.com/books.html#Small%20Stakes%20Hold'em

This is the definitive book on playing small stakes, loose game, low-limit hold'em. It is an excellent book. Whether or not it is appropriate for you depends on how much you have played, I would personally want a few thousand hands of actual play under my belt before reading this book, this book assumes you know the rules of the game and are familiar with a few of the key concepts, (although it does a good job of going over most of them.)

If you are just starting out I would recommend reading Internet Texas Hold'em by Mathew Hilger, get a few thousand hands of play in then tackle this book and keep going over it until you know it inside out and backwards (this is the step I am still on /images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

Anyways hope this helps. In the end you can never go wrong with a 2+2 book, but if I was starting out again I think I would want to read Hilger's book first.

T

gasoltub
01-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Ah, that's the book. I actually already got that one. I'll probably check out that Hilger book too. I haven't played much yet so a book that covers the game on a level between complete novice and intermediate would be good a assume.

thanks
/gasoltub

PE101
01-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Congratulations on finding these forums as a beginner!
They will make you a much better player.

Actually, I don't know what I'd recommend to a true beginner.

2+2 books are terrific, but one of the things I like best about them is that they are relatively advanced.

Hold ‘em Poker by David Sklansky is a good one, but it’s really rather deep, in spite of its “introductory nature.

Maybe you should elaborate on your “beginner” status. Are you really a neophyte, or just starting to get serious?

I bet you will get a bunch of recommendations on good books appropriate to your level.

After you read some, let us know what you think. There are many, many folks in the same boat you're in.

gasoltub
01-04-2005, 11:24 AM
I think you people would call me a neophyte /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I played Holdem online for the first time about a year ago after reading some articles and strategy tips on the internet. It didn't go too well so I decided I wouldn't play for money until I had found some ways to improve. I don't remember how many hands I played at that time but it was perhaps something like 200-300 or so.
Then I left it for about half a year until last summer when I bought
Hold'em Poker, Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players and SSH by Sklansky et al.
I have read them (fairly cursory) a couple of times by now before I dig in to really study them. I have also started to play in freeroll NL tournaments. I'm not sure though if that is a good move since as far as I know limit and NL is very different.

Anyway, in all I probably have played between 400 and 600 real money hands and certainly classifies as a neophyte.

Would the Hilger book be a good book to read before digging in to the 2+2 books?

so please, hints, directions please /images/graemlins/smile.gif

masterblaker
01-04-2005, 12:58 PM
I would read Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones first, this is the best begginner book on the market.

__Q__
01-04-2005, 01:54 PM
I don't see the need that others do to buy simpler books than SSH. Obviously, a brand new player won't be able to appreciate it and use it as fully as some one with more experience. But the basics are in there. Read through it. Use the starting hand guidlines, play for a while. Then read it again. Play some more. Rinse and repeat.

There is no need to run out and buy a bunch of inferior books, even if you are a beginner.

gasoltub
01-04-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would read Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones first, this is the best begginner book on the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know how it compares to that Hilger book? And to SSH?

crockett
01-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Personally, WLLH is hands down the best advice you can possibly get for a true beginner.

SSHE is deservingly held in the highest regards when it comes to small stakes limit hold'em but IMHO is not a book at all appropriate for a rank beginner.

WLLH lays it out in black and white and plain and simple english. When SSH first hit there were literally endless number of posts on people misapplying the concepts discussed in SSH.

IMHO, starting slow (WLLH approach) will pratically guarantee you to be a winning player at small stakes hold'em. Adding SSH in moderation after you've mastered being tight and semi-aggressive (WLLH approach) will bring you closer to maximizing your profit from LH.

Finally, I want to add that I am in no way affiliated with WLLH at all. I just got lucky and ended up doing it the right way(IMHO). And to prove to you how I feel about the two books. I've read WLLH 2 times. I am now in my 5th reading of SSH and SSH looks like a rag with plenty of highligts and notes.

BugsBunny
01-04-2005, 06:07 PM
I've read both and I prefer Hilger to Jones. Hilger is aimed at the beginning to intermediate player, Jones is aimed at pure beginners. Hilger has hand examples. Jones doesn't. Hilger covers some concepts, in easy to understand English, much more than Jones.

They're both good books for what they're intended to do. Neither is perfect. I think the foundation that Hilger gives you is better and you'll have less to "unlearn" as you advance.

irisheyes
01-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Count this as another endorsement for the Hilger book over Lee Jones' book. I have (and have read) both of these books along with SSHE. You can't go wrong with reading all three,

However, if you're willing to work a bit harder at it SSHE still makes a great (if somewhat difficult) starter book. WLLH presents a basic, simple strategy that helps you understand what not to do -- the problem I have with it (as BugsBunny points out) is that you will eventually have to unlearn what it tells you to do. ITH by Hilger is a more balanced, aggressive approach to lower-limits. SSHE is intended for an advanced player and ITH is intended for a slightly less experienced reader.

All three have something to offer if you keep in mind as you read the first two (WLLH, ITH) that you are going to want to play much more aggressively as you get more experienced and as your post-flop play improves.

gasoltub
01-05-2005, 07:18 AM
I just ordered both of them /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Probably gonna take two weeks for them to ship to Sweden though /images/graemlins/frown.gif

thanks for your advice
/gasoltub