PDA

View Full Version : 2 Hands from Super Monday

cferejohn
01-04-2005, 05:59 AM
Hand 1:
Blinds 50/100. I have 2200 chips. I have 88 in the BB.
UTG+3 raises to 350. CO-2 cold calls. I call. No read on either player, but they hadn't played a lot of hands since I moved to the table about an orbit ago.

Flop: 6s 2d 9c.

I bet out 500. Raiser folds. Cold-caller (1007 chips left) min raises to 1000. I think for a while and put him in for his last 7.

Hand 2:
Blinds 100/200. Q8o in the SB. I've got T3727. Aggressive EP limps (T1668), button limps (T6885), I complete. BB checks (T4240). Flop is 7 8 4 rainbow. 800 in the pot. I bet 600. EP calls.

Turn is a K. I put EP in for his last 900 (I will have 2K left if he wins the hand). He calls.

How did I do? Thoughts and results later (actually, the results are already in the Super Monday thread if you just can't contain your curiosity).

Chris

Lurshy
01-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Hand 1,

You could easily be behind (Set, higher PP) but with the pot so large, I think you need to put in the other 500 and see what the next two cards are.

He could also be playing badly, and not realise he doesn't have folding equity left. I like the call (the raise of 7 is obviously a requiremnt of the play, but it really was just a call).

Hand 2,

I don't love the play. Maybe I am getting too weak, but I don't even know if I complete there. Just too easy to make a 2nd best with Q8o.

You say ep is aggressive. This hand he is playing passively. Is he aggressive with good hands or poor hands? Is he tricky? What did you read his limp to mean? What about his flop call? No obvious draws out there. Would he call with only two overcards? and if he did, why do you think the King didn't help him? Villian is either trapping you, or really dumb for calling off his money like that.

I don't like the play with Hand 2. JMHO

SossMan
01-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Hand 1:
So, did he have KQ or AQ? The only thing that I would change is flat calling his min raise and putting the 7 chips in on the turn, hoping he might accidentally click the fold button.
I like the play because they are both much more likely to have overcards than an overpair since the first player's raising hand range is so wide and the second's calling range is so narrow. The first is likely to raise with overpairs and overcards (many more overcards) and the second isn't likely to flat call w/ TT-AA. If one of them has A9, so be it.

Hand 2:
Probably a marginal call, but not horrible because of the aggressive EP that you can use to clear the field if you hit a good flop.
Good bet out on the flop.
You have to follow through on the turn even though the king is a semi-scare card.

hope it worked out.

MLG
01-04-2005, 01:14 PM
I don't think a flat call with 1010 or JJ is unlikely at all in hand 1. I think its very likely. I still like the play though.

SossMan
01-04-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think a flat call with 1010 or JJ is unlikely at all in hand 1. I think its very likely. I still like the play though.

[/ QUOTE ]

for ~30% of his stack w/ 5 players left to act? I think most would push.
Ok, fine, then discount those hands by .5 or something.

cferejohn
01-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Hand 1: He had AK. He doesn't improve. I win. I think in the past I would have checked the flop and probably folded to a bet from either player. After reading Harrington's book, my thinking changed a little. The flop looks pretty unlikely to have hit anyone, and there's a pretty good chance that my hand is good. When I bet out 500 here I profit if they fold 1 time in 3. If the button had come back at me, I'm obviously done with the hand. I figured the other player could have any pocket pair or high cards, and I'm ahead of enough of those that I thought I had to call given that I was getting better than 4:1 on the call. I figure I'm ahead here at least 1/3 of the time, and possibly more (I think a set would probably smooth call to get me to put the rest in on the turn).

Hand 2: Slowplayed AA nails me, fortunately not for a huge chunk of my stack. If his stack had been just a bit bigger I probably would have checked and folded to a significant bet; flat calling for so much of his stack looked pretty fishy. As it was though, I wasn't going to fold for his last 900 chips into a pot of ~2K, so I figured I may as well push to get the chips in now in case he's got something like 9T or A7.

I really should have been more wary of the preflop limp by such a small stack from an aggressive player. Does anyone consider laying this down at any point? I don't really see where I could have.

SossMan
01-04-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone consider laying this down at any point? I don't really see where I could have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you would be faulted much if you folded Q8o preflop. I would have probably called, fwiw.