PDA

View Full Version : Can I sell my Step tourney entry?

The Student
01-04-2005, 04:34 AM
Just won entry into a Step 4 single table tourney. Anyone know if I can sell/transfer it to another player?

ts-

Apathy
01-04-2005, 04:47 AM
no

SuitedSixes
01-04-2005, 05:00 AM
Irieguy made a post last week about how to do it. It is complicated and requires and understanding of high-level molecular physics . . . but it can be done.

The Student
01-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the Irieguy post. I just checked it and since I barely passed high school chemistry, I don't think that's the route I'm going to take. Btw - I just got an answer back from PP about whether or not I could transfer the entry to a friend. Here's the reply:

"Thank you for contacting us.

With the reference to this e-mail I understand that you want to transfer your free roll to your friend.
I am really sorry to say but you will not be able to transfer the free roll to your friends account."

Figures - guess I just have to try my luck at a step 4 now.

ts-

citanul
01-04-2005, 03:57 PM
You freaking clown, if you didn't want to play the step 4, you shouldn't have entered the step 3.

citanul, who will now race Aleo to poohbah, but probably be less insightful along the way.

gusly
01-04-2005, 04:24 PM
I think I know how you feel. I started with a Step 1 tourney a few days ago and now have a Step 4 entry. My experience up until now has been mostly at 10+1, so I'm not as confident at higher buy-ins as I could be. Considering the potential payoff, I definitely don't want to waste this Step 4 entry by just diving in without stronger shark repellent.

What I've decided to do is wait a couple of weeks before using it. I've been datamining Step 4 and Step 5 tourneys for the past two days, and will continue to do so. There are a lot of regulars, and I think I've already accumulated some pretty valuable data. In addition, I'm getting HOH this afternoon, and I plan to immerse myself in it and test out Harrington's techniques on other SNGs before I tackle the Step 4.

After that, I'm gonna bust that Gigabet guy! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Student
01-04-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My experience up until now has been mostly at 10+1, so I'm not as confident at higher buy-ins as I could be. Considering the potential payoff, I definitely don't want to waste this Step 4 entry by just diving in without stronger shark repellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also started at step 1 and usually play 20+2's, and I'd rather take the $500 than test myself in a step 4 or 5. At this point, the $500 would also be a nice drop into my bankroll.

Have you read any of the Harrington yet? Is it any good or anything that we haven't heard before?

Also, when you say you're datamining, do you mean that you're tracking observed tables with PT?

thanks for the help and support,

ts-

gusly
01-04-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you read any of the Harrington yet? Is it any good or anything that we haven't heard before?

Also, when you say you're datamining, do you mean that you're tracking observed tables with PT?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm heading to the bookstore in a couple of hours, so I haven't started to read yet... But people are raving about it.

And yes, I'm using PT with the autoimport pulling in the hand histories from the hard drive. I'm also watching a few tourneys from start to finish to get a better feel for playing at the tables...

junkmail3
01-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Someone posed a good way to do this:

%buy into a $10+1

if you win, buy into a $50+5 ($5 of your own)
if you win, buy into a $200+20 (none of your own)

Or drop it down so you still get profit along the way ...

like a $30 + 3 or something, or just jump a level every time you win one.

If you ever lose, start over.

STEPS simplified.

Cleveland Guy
01-04-2005, 05:12 PM
This is just what party was hoping for when they created steps.

People would play above their head, and instead of taking profits, lose them all into the system. The top players make more money this way, and the fish just keep on contributing.

Usually a new program has a good benefit to the site, not the player.

The Student
01-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Maybe there's something I'm not understanding, but I've tried to buy-in to regular (non-Step) SNGs but I can't use my Step 4 entry chip to do so. It seems like the only thing I can use it for is to buy into a step 4 SNG.

Can you direct me to the original post you're referencing?

Thanks,

ts-

The Yugoslavian
01-04-2005, 05:29 PM
I'm pretty sure he's saying that instead of playing the STEPs, you can try to play regular SNGs in a similar fashion. You can stop at any time and take out your profit.

Yugoslav

Cleveland Guy
01-04-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe there's something I'm not understanding, but I've tried to buy-in to regular (non-Step) SNGs but I can't use my Step 4 entry chip to do so. It seems like the only thing I can use it for is to buy into a step 4 SNG.

Thanks,

ts-

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to sound rude, but when you signed up for the Steps, what did you think was going to happen?

junkmail3
01-04-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm referring to just playing the regular SnG's as if they were steps.

You're stuck with your step entry and probably have to use it.

However, if you want to practice. You can slide over to the SnG's and start at a $10+1.

If you win that, move up right away to a higher level, $33 or $55.

If you win that, move up right away to a higher level, $220.

If you ever lose, start over again at the $11.

I don't know where the other post is. I just saw it briefly. I'd have to search like you would. So I'm not going to look. It was nothing too groundbreaking, and it's likely that my clarification will make sense to you now.

stillnotking
01-04-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is just what party was hoping for when they created steps.

People would play above their head, and instead of taking profits, lose them all into the system. The top players make more money this way, and the fish just keep on contributing.

Usually a new program has a good benefit to the site, not the player.

[/ QUOTE ]

The site gets most of the money from STEPS. They are not doing this out of kindness to "top players". The math has been run, and the juice on STEPS tournaments is absurd.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/walterzuey/35457.html

mistaken
01-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Hey Gusly,

After beating Gigabet heads up in one of the step 5s, I collected some information that I think is one of his tells: when he is trying to steal the blinds he will bet the minimum above double the BB (for example, with blinds at 50/100 he will raise to 225 and at 100/200 he will raise to 450 etc.) when you see this and it is folded to you, I'd strongly recommend a push.
Hope this is helpful.

Mistaken

Cleveland Guy
01-04-2005, 05:37 PM
If It didn't come out right, that's kinda what I meant - the last sentence kind of said that. More in it for the site than the players.

Marcotte
01-04-2005, 05:45 PM
The first follow-up post to that link had the same thought I did over the weekend. These things are essentially pyramid schemes. By definition, they can't be profitable unless you can beat the step 5 game. And if you can do that, why not just buy in directly (bankroll considerations aside)?

[Well, I suppose you could be +$ if you consistantly got the cash place in steps 2 or 3, but if you can do that you could win faster at $33s and $55s.]

That reminds me. I'm going to start a new religion called Pokertology. Converts will receive "Evaluation Tests" upon The Center's receipt of their "tithes". These tests will tell you if you're a sucker or not.

burningyen
01-04-2005, 05:58 PM
There are definitely ideas in HOH that are useful in SnGs that aren't usually discussed in this forum.

adanthar
01-04-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure he's saying that instead of playing the STEPs, you can try to play regular SNGs in a similar fashion. You can stop at any time and take out your profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference with the Steps is that once you get to Step 3, unless your kings lose to aces/set loses to higher set/you get drawn out on early/the BB has exactly AA-QQ on the bubble, you will make it to Step 5 almost all the time.

Marcotte
01-04-2005, 06:06 PM
Don't know Gigabet, never seen him play, and only read a few of his posts. However, I would wager a large % of my bankroll that you are

[ QUOTE ]
Mistaken

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

texasrattlers
01-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Why don't you collect all these ideas and post them in a separate thread? Or maybe one thread per new idea?

gusly
01-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Mistaken,

I checked out his stats from the CO, the worst hand he played was QJ... and there are other stats that make me think you might be mistaken.

Of course I don't have access to data from successful steals, but thanks for the info... I'll keep it in mind. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Gusly (not my username on any poker site, btw)

burningyen
01-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Your post is ambiguous. If you're saying my post is off-topic, I was responding to a question posed in this thread. If you're asking why don't I post the stuff in Harrington's book that would be useful for SnGs, I don't think that's a good use of my time.

texasrattlers
01-04-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your post is ambiguous. If you're saying my post is off-topic, I was responding to a question posed in this thread. If you're asking why don't I post the stuff in Harrington's book that would be useful for SnGs, I don't think that's a good use of my time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That's funny. Yes, it was the latter. I think it would be a good learning exercise for everyone on the forum, but if you have better things to do then I guess we're out of luck.

mistaken
01-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Oh, and also this observation is only true when Gigabet is a big stack with equal to or less than about 6 people. If he is a large stack then, he likes to start playing very aggressive in order to achieve 1st place.
This is just what I noticed... maybe he mixes it up sometimes.
Gl in your step 4s.

gusly
01-04-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gl in your step 4s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. If I make it to step 5, I'm going to try find out when Gigabet and adrtho sleep so I can schedule my first Step 5 try for a time when they'll both be unconscious. That should increase my chances quite a bit. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

CUonCRUISE
01-04-2005, 08:33 PM
I won my first try on sat afternoon 1/1 no gigabet. I did have chipdaddy, teddykgb, and donflun but mostly unknowns.

AleoMagus
01-04-2005, 09:15 PM
In the case of the STEPS tourneys, I think that the benefit will really just be to the top players. I think that the site will be losing in the long run.

The reason is that instead of bad players shuffling their money around the poker economy against other bad players(and constantly letting it ALL slip away in rake), a lot of this cash is now ending up in the hands of top players where it will obviously never end up back in the poker economy.

The bad players will go broke quicker, and long term rake revenues will be less than normal SNGs with less vig.

That's my opinion anyways

Regards
Brad S

The Student
01-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Gotcha - thanks for the clarification. I've been sticking with the 20+2s, but I think I will start dabble in the higher as well.

The Student
01-04-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks,

ts-

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to sound rude, but when you signed up for the Steps, what did you think was going to happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay - I sounded like a little fishy that wants to be in the big games and suddenly pisses himself when he wakes up amongst the sharks, I know. Not a rude question, but here's my thinking: I have not seen much competition in the lower levels (steps 1 - 3), and was thinking that it might be pretty lucrative if I could just work on turning $12 into a step 4 entry chip (which I might be able to sell that chip for $400 let's say). I figured that would be a better return on my time investment than trying a step 5 (after watching several step 5s I know that I would often be outclassed).

Yes, I agree with other posters who say that only the top SNG players will really make $ off of this, but for $12 I've been able to play a lot of poker and to learn by playing with players who are better than I am - so it's still been a good deal for me.

ts-