PDA

View Full Version : Tricky flop 3 straight, 2 flush, but I have middle pair and odds.

Schizo
01-04-2005, 04:30 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks.

River: (9 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

MP2 = callingstation
I've only seen the other two play one hand each and both had a pocket pair.

This flop troubles me. Possible straight and possible flush on the flop. I know the raise was horrible, but should I of folded? I was getting odds to draw to 2 pair that might not be good.

Nick C
01-04-2005, 10:06 AM
I'd probably just call on the flop, because I'd have trouble deciding what I should do in the twenty seconds available to me. But let's see. You're in really bad shape if BB (or anyone) has a set or AJ or KQ. Against KK or QQ, you do have 5 outs, though you'll still have cards to dodge if you catch on the turn, and two of your potential outs could give someone else a flush (and will quite possibly at least give someone a draw to one). These possibilities suggest a fold is in order, since you can't count on a full five outs. But . . . you could actually be ahead of BB's AQ or AK or underpair. AK has one good overcard against you and a gutshot; AQ also has one good overcard and an OESD. (An underpair isn't really that likely but can't be ruled out.)

What does this all add up to? I'm not sure, but with three other players also in the hand, I suspect a fold is best on the flop, especially since you're not closing the action. If you're behind (which seems very likely to me, with four opponents), you could easily improve and still lose. If you're ahead, you probably have a lot of cards to dodge, and it's going to be hard to drive anyone out who has a reasonable chance to beat you. (Maybe you can get rid of an eight, but there's a good chance someone else has a queen anyway.)

chief444
01-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Raise preflop.

I would probably let it go on the flop but I think raising is much better than calling. With that board and a preflop raise from the blinds though I fold this flop.

kyzerjose
01-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Well.......
There's a possible made hand (straight) on the board, two suited cards to a flush draw that you don't have and you're looking at 2nd pair TK. Ugly.
Your evaluation of the flop raise is dead on.
Tripping your 10 is shaky. You can't count the 10s as an out because it makes a three flush board. That's 2 outs.
2 A's (not the spade)will gives you TPWK, once again against a possible flush draw or wired straight. That's 4 outs to make a hand that may be second best, possibly worse.
On the flop your odds to the turn are 47-4 = 43/4 = 10.75:1.
The pot odds = 10SB ($10 X $2 = $20 = $20/$2 = 10:1)No odds for drawing there.
On the turn, I'm pretty sure the pot is laying 9:1 odds. (9BB or $9 X $4 = $36 = $36/$4 = 9:1)
When the Q came, the 3 K's (not the spade)give you the nut straight draw, again against a flush draw or a wired straight. You're at 7 outs.
So..... 46 remaining cards minus 7 = 39/7 = 5.6:1 on your draw.
You're getting the correct odds to draw but (you knew this was coming)once again; it's probably not the nut hand for this particular situation.
As one of my favorite dealers tells me, you may be drawing dead but you've got the pot odds to do it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tossing 2nd pair TK is tough. I would have called the flop bet, then CF after that. Too many hands have me beat.

Schizo
01-04-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop.

I would probably let it go on the flop but I think raising is much better than calling. With that board and a preflop raise from the blinds though I fold this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is raising on the flop better than calling?

I see how it could give the impression of a big hand, the field is huge.

Also, w/ the preflop raise I wouldn't have the information on the blinds so would you still fold the flop?