PDA

View Full Version : What shotgun should I test out?

wacki
01-04-2005, 02:39 AM
I'm thinking about getting a shotgun. Any recommendations?

At the local gun club they let me try out any shotgun I want when shooting trap. So far I've tested and really liked the Benelli Nova and M2. I've tried the Beretta 391 and a few Browning over/unders, but that's about it.

Ray Zee
01-04-2005, 08:45 AM
its like asking what pair of shoes to buy.

but, if you are going to use it for trap get a good trap gun as you wont be happy with anything else.
for self defense and cheap get a remington model 870 configured how you like. 300 bucks or less. works well for hunting also. i use doubles, but that is my choice. for hunting other than ducks in a blind, get a light weight gun. most important.

Koller
01-04-2005, 08:54 AM
What shotgun should I test out?

[ QUOTE ]
its like asking what pair of shoes to buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] unreal.

2planka
01-04-2005, 09:45 AM
What features are you looking for? e.g. autoloader or breach? What do you intend to use the thing for? Recreational trap? Competitive?

I prefer over/under breach loaders for my recreational trap shooting. There are pros and cons. Autoloaders require more cleaning and TLC and can jam (a real hassle on the line) and breach loaders can be tricky in bad weather.

Get a low end model to see if this is really for you. As you learn, upgrade!

Here's one article I found on google. http://www.aagunsales.com/Articles/James%20Russell/BUYING%20YOUR%20FIRST%20TRAP%20SHOTGUN

jakethebake
01-04-2005, 10:20 AM
I love my Browning Citori 20-gauge for ducks. I use a Dailey 12-gauge for geese. Both are great over/unders. I grew up on autloaders mostly because it's what my dad always used, but I really prefer over/unders now. There's just something more elegant about them.

It's not my favorite also have a Remington 1100 20-gauge for doves because I like to have more than 2 shots. It's an o.k. gun, but not great for ducks/geese because it's an autoloader and can jam up in the mud.

wacki
01-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the link KilgorTrout.

When the article says:
The nature of the beast is a trap gun is not like buying a field gun for casual use... it must be custom built to fit you. What this means is you can't simply buy your buddy's gun or snatch one from the dealer's shelf and simply start shooting it. You can, most everyone does, but most everyone can't shoot for beans and this is the #1 prime reason why... their gun's do not fit.

How necessary is this? Doesn't this cross the Nova off the list of possibilites? Wouldn't a center bead solve this problem?

Also what are the features that make a gun a competition shooter?

Right now I only shoot trap, but this is my first shotgun so who knows where I end up. My brother is trying to get me to go bird hunting. I don't hunt (go ahead and call me a tree huggin hippy), but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted.