PDA

View Full Version : A question on 3-betting KK preflop

mythrilfox
01-04-2005, 01:32 AM
This is more of a hypothetical thing. Say you get KK in CO+1 and open-raise to 4xBB. Button now re-raises you to 10xBB. You have no great read on him, only that he is an average-decent player. What is your plan for the rest of the hand?

It is said that there's no point in 3-betting KK preflop because an AA will usually just smooth-call or something like that, but how does that make the hand any better for you? Can you really get away from it when rags flop? Stack sizes matter of course, and I usually play on Party - so say it's the 100BB stacks at Party. Then is it correct to 3-bet KK preflop?

Huskiez
01-04-2005, 02:21 AM
Reraise.

There are a few reasons in my opinion.

Just to clarify, Party has 50 bb structure. But I would reraise in both 50 bb and 100 bb.

First, you're more than likely ahead. Charge button for seeing the flop.

Second, you're out of position. I would try to get as much money as possible while a likely favorite. That way Button does not have as much a stack to use his position postflop.

Third, hopefully you can commit button to his hand. If he calls your reraise (to 25-30 bb), that leaves him facing a pot bet all in on the flop.

Fourth, the caliber of players online (especially small stakes) are more than likely to put their money in here having a number of hands besides AA.

Fifth, the argument you cite regarding not reraising with KK here is for both deep stacks (200+ bb) and big bet poker. On Party, I don't think either of these conditions is met.

Yes, a reraise is in order. You can make a case for smooth calling (the main one being deception), but I think online, straight forward play is best.

Make sure to reraise some other hands other than just AA-KK, otherwise it's pretty easy for opponent to play perfectly. However, online, I don't think they're paying attention.

mythrilfox
01-04-2005, 03:35 AM
Er, yeah, 50BB is what I meant. Just confused since I generally play 100NL.

Thanks for the clarification, though. I just had this situation come up a moment ago, and I couldn't bring myself to think calling on Party was correct. (I popped back and he folded)

Kaz The Original
01-04-2005, 07:08 AM
Against solid opponents three betting KK preflop is a crime. Against party fish, not three betting is a felony.