PDA

View Full Version : KQs flops top pair, turned into calling station too soon?

Corkscrew
01-04-2005, 12:51 AM
After taking a break from Limit to goof around in cheap SNGs for a week or two, I decided to start clearing my Party bonus tonight. I'm normally a 2/4 player, but just to make things interesting, I thought I'd play a table of 3/6 alongside my regular 2/4 games. I'm actually bankrolled for 3/6, but have no intentions of a real move up until I'm much more comfortable.

UTG was loose preflop (close to 40% VP); only hand he'd raised pf with in the 20 hands I'd seen was AQo, which was also the only hand he'd shown down worth raising.

Should I have raised the turn here, or folded? Folded the river? I couldn't decide whether I was up against a K with a worse kicker or two pair, or possibly even a set.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.66 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.66 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.66 BB

cold_cash
01-04-2005, 01:02 AM
I'm ready to call down once he leads out on the turn.

I can't imagine him playing a worse hand this way.

Also, if he's not a very aggressive player I'm not crazy about the flop cap.

Corkscrew
01-04-2005, 01:10 AM
I should have mentioned his postflop aggressiveness. I'd actually seen him checkraise repeatedly in previous hands, sometimes with nothing. We'd actually tangled about an orbit previous where I'd had 77, flopped 6-3-2 rainbow and bet it, and when a 2 came on the turn he checkraised me, showing down 42o.

So I felt he was somewhat aggressive, and my thinking was also that he would have check-raised with a better hand.

I capped the flop because I felt I wouldn't have any clue where I was if I simply called his 3-bet. I figure if I do, he's definitely leading the turn, which still leaves me wondering where I am.

Actually, the more I think about this hand, the more I confuse myself. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

private joker
01-04-2005, 01:11 AM
You played it fine. Flop cap is marginal. He probably turns over 98s.